Pug 205 attracts excel racers!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Pug 205 attracts excel racers!!

Is it just me or do other 205 owners find basically every small hatch they line up at the lights with wants a race??

Advertisement

I've encountered numerous amounts of excels, pulsers, corollas wanting to race hehe. Pity i dun have the grunt...i would prob give em a go...

street racing is bad!

Lead them to a twisty road and then they wouldn't have a clue which way you went. But in a straight line your not a chance.

My stock at the time 1.6 was as quick as the 2 Evo Lancers I was with up the Old Pac. I think macquered's words were "this car should not be this quick. This is unbelieveable"

You can't use all that grunt going around corners.

Darren

YEL020:
    Lead them to a twisty road and then they wouldn't have a clue which way you went. But in a straight line your not a chance.

My stock at the time 1.6 was as quick as the 2 Evo Lancers I was with up the Old Pac. I think macquered's words were "this car should not be this quick. This is unbelieveable"

You can't use all that grunt going around corners.

Darren
    Not a chance?!?!, I haven't been blown off the road by too many excels, corollas or pulsars lately

There are plenty of cars out there that can't get to 60kph as quickly as a well driven 205....

I find it's more the arrogant executive types in their company cars which are the first to pick the lane that ends 100m past a set of lights.....and either try to beat everyone across the intersection or simply play chicken with the person in the lane beside.....

nobody likes a queue jumper.

nJm
    No one takes me on in my 505
    snail

roll_lau
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Gem
    I am waiting for the day I get a riced up excel/lancer at the lights. But that is yet to happen. cry
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

1000+ Posts
    Gem:
    I am waiting for the day I get a riced up excel/lancer at the lights. But that is yet to happen. cry
    As long as they're not turbo'd Gem, they won't have a chance And I only have 100kw too!

Derek.

u guys must be kidding ...right????excels,,pulsars, heheh my 205 must be reasonably tough then....i have yet to be beaten by something like an excel...the day it happens will be the day i sell the bloody thing...lancers...what a joke...have u guys driven these cars....my 205 has most of them for lunch as for cutting and weaving through traffic...well the 205 just can not be beaten . (full stop)most times i will not give in even to the rexes let alone those ugly sylvias....common guys get it together, a well driven 205 is hard to beat wether of the lights through the bends (almost impossible) or through the traffic....maybe i m just a hot shot driver????but seriously...i m sure i m no match for my mates gtir or other much more powerfull cars but your regular hatch should be 205 fodder..no excuses...

cheers
    dino

...still cannot believe my ears...

I love taking off slow and letting them get cocky then planting it in second. Its amazing the faces that they pull when you fly past them especially when there's a corner coming up and they're waiting for you to brake and you leave in gear (second or third)and bang out of the corner. I lost count on how many cars I've done it to.

I love watching the arse end fly out on rear drive cars as they try and catch you and lose it. Not to mention f/d cars understeering into the curb. I drive ALOT of cars so there's not much that i haven't driven and the pug still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it. I know how it feels though after a supercharged V8 Commodore played with me and booted it @ 40km/h. Made me look like i was driving a niki! Lucky there was no twisties.
    Present: 406 petrol 2.0 turbo 97(GB Import), 205 gti 1.9 89, Yamaha TZR250 3xv 93 (Jap Import)

Past: 205 gti 1.6 1988 (Singpr Import), Citroen 1.9 BX16valve, 405 1.9 mi16, 405 2.0 mi16,
    205 si 93, Mini GT, Datsun SSS x3, Dodge Ram, kingswood, Yamaha TZR250 2ma x2

Hey mate...You've left your Barina's lights on

I had no trouble with corollas, lancers or std hatches, like a Civic VTi Coupe (not the VTi-R)...usually take them with about half car to one car length!! Other smaller hatches like excels and barinas, not a chance man...they can eat my exhaust fumes!

One time had a Pulsar SSS and RX7 on either side of my 205, not much road, but went full bore at about 60 KMh into 2nd gear and powered all the way into 3rd. This was after the two cars had about 3 cars lead on me and I said Heck, here goes nothing...Have to honestly say the PUG could not gain on these two cars, they were prob. pulling away slightly as they had a higher speed than me to start with....

Civic VTi-Rs, very hard to beat too...
    *********A.K.A Eddy W*********
    " NOS! I need NOS!!...."
    92 PUG 205 GTi SIII Race Green... gone..gone..gone..

well traffic light GPs arent exactly a true indication of car or driver performance. try a vl turbo. it'll absolutely toast a lot of very decent cars off the mark, especially with a few mods. but get one on anything that resembles a corner and the driver will be lost.

mind you i did rather like the areas where 60kmh becomes 110kmh, and some idiot tried to fly past me in the right hand lane in my volvo. what a shock they got when the volvo dropped from 4th to second and hit 6000rpm, on full boost and went screaming past all those supposedly quite quick cars...

chandler

Fellow Frogger!
    I find it's more the arrogant executive types in their company cars which are the first to pick the lane that ends 100m past a set of lights.....and either try to beat everyone across the intersection or simply play chicken with the person in the lane beside.....
    I got nailed the other nite ... for some reason a rexSTI driver who i'd lost in the traffic pulled up next to me at a set of lights and felt the need for a straight line challenge from the traffic lights ... well der it was no challenge as i saw his tail lights flicker into the distance ..... maybe he wanted to restore his ego given that he could not match me through the previous traffic.

I offered a yawn and let him go .... only to take him again when we hit traffic. dance
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

sss and rx7...u should have kept going....gearing would have meant u d catch them and pass quite nicely...my mate (the guy that just bought the gtir) has beaten me plenty of times with his sss but only when my tyres were down 2 NO tread...otherwise i m definitely quicker...on the freeway from 100kmh+ i pretty much leave him for dead...no chance....in regards to rx7 depending which series..well thats a big ask especially if modded...mind u...a series one in standard trim...will not exactly get away...actually qite easy to keep up with....

cheers
    dino
    ..i dont like 2 wring its neck but i will if i have 2...

Ahh the memories of my 205 come flooding back after reading some of these stories.
    I used to love driving home at night through Anthonys Cutting (just before Bacchus Marsh), going around the outside of the clown who just had to show everyone his crapadore could do 200 k/hr in a straight line down the Western hwy.

Yeah bros & extra $$$ plastic bits and shiny wheels and exhauts!!!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

what is the deal with those bro-mobiles? $$$ plastic bits, shiny wheels & massive exhauts... but no $ left over for engine mods, sorry maybe a turbo!

had one of those numbers where the left lane cuts out b4 a railway crossing on parramatta rd. early 90s CRX (the more square one, quite cute lookin) was sittin in it.

i knew he was going 2 give it a go, because he had been weaving in & out of traffic, cutting everybody off & giving everyone the shits generally. mallet

this guy must have spent $10K or so on 2 massive exhausts, skirts dragging on the ground, shiny wheels with $$$ rubber bands on them and to top it off a number plate "XXX-CRX"

question is: was the "VTEC" badge slaped on the back of his car an; indication that he indeed had that engine? now honda hadn't released VTEC then? had it? or did he change the engine? not likely. or did he think that the "VTEC" badge would indeed improve the performance of his car? just paint it red already, its worked for ferrari!

decided i should find out, and maybe embarres him enough to stop giving everyone the shits! didn't really think i would beat him... but after the lights when green, it didn't turn out that way!

even start, but the little pugs early torque got me ahead, even though he red lined his poor little engine (they love being reved those honda's, great engines. i dont' bother my 205 after 5 500- 6000rpm, seems to runs out of breath!) i had already grabbed second early and the torque again ripped my 205 foward. leaving his front bumper a little behind my rear!
    so it seems that was an indication that he was indeed a dickhead who thought slapping a "VTEC" badge would make his car faster!
    and i was going to by one of those CRXs instead of a 205!

had a lancer beat me, he had more power at higher revs, only the one. mods maybe. but beaten plenty of others (hatches)! so its a bit all over the shop. but having 80% of your torque at 2k rpm & 100% at 3k, seems to be enough to get most of them, especially with a good start. even more so through traffic with rolling starts, i like to get head start on a rex with the turbo lag.
    and yeah its the handling!

used have a 87 seca twincam, quick but a bit of snooze b4 4 500rpm! and shit house handling; fair amount of body roll, fair grip, generous understeer which turns (unpredictably) into savage oversteer!

BTW i have a '90 205GTi with a "BOSCH-Jettronic" engine management. so i'm pretty sure i have the shorter gear ratios (with 14' wheels), but not sure about the 75 or 90Kw engine? any one absolutely sure aboutwhich one that is?

cause it seems really quick (relatively speaking), and i've jumped in a few 92+ 205s. feels quicker than those. haven't raced one yet to be sure. i know the french weren't all that systematic about releasing the series 1, 2 & 3(classic?) so theres a bit of drips and drabs inbetween!

or is that with the 75Kw & shorter (& clsoer?)ratios, the -92s are just as quick as the +92s?
    renn
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

I lined up a 205 once, and only gained on him on the peak revs, as i could hold the gear just that much longer. In 3rd it was over as i then steadily pulled away and then we both gave up knowing what happened. We gave each other a thumbs up and went our ways, cool.
    However i was left in bits when i was beaten (just) by a ford Ka!!! He goes to NSW uni and he turboed the old ford donk and man it flies. Its only got [email protected] but its so light that once it hooked up in 1st it was gone. crazy little machine, whats worse is he fitted old Laser wheels and hubcaps and the exhaust is just matt black, the intercooler is also black and the car dosn't even have a boost guage you can see. NO stickers, no fancy anything!!! very much a sleeper.
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

The last car i owned was a 1.5 lancer, and let me tell you, you should easily beat it in a 205, and you should beat an excel easily as well cause the lancer used to beat them quite easily.
    I rarely get someone wanting to take me on in the 206 except for the otherday some stupid echo driver with 17" and plates HOTECO lol and all he saw of me was my rear fog light in the distance.
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

Fellow Frogger!
    BLK206:
    The last car i owned was a 1.5 lancer, and let me tell you, you should easily beat it in a 205, and you should beat an excel easily as well cause the lancer used to beat them quite easily.
    I rarely get someone wanting to take me on in the 206 except for the otherday some stupid echo driver with 17" and plates HOTECO lol and all he saw of me was my rear fog light in the distance.
    go the hoteco hahahaha teach them!!

i haven't given any cars a run yet... hehe waiting until i get some more spices under the bonnet =)

Well once you do get some more spices under the bonnet teach them a thing or two about french power
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

Thread Information