Curious... How long to replace an ECU in Peugeot 206?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Curious... How long to replace an ECU in Peugeot 206?

Tadpole

Icon9 Curious... How long to replace an ECU in Peugeot 206?

Hi,

My 206 has been with a mechanic for over three months now diagnosing a problem and replacing an ECU. Does this seem a little exessive to anyone? I get the feeling I am getting the run around. I was also told diagnosing this problem caused the ECU to render the car undriveable and that even though I didn't authorise this part it still needed to be replaced.

Thanks,
    Pug

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Pug2013 View Post
    Hi,

My 206 has been with a mechanic for over three months now diagnosing a problem and replacing an ECU. Does this seem a little exessive to anyone? I get the feeling I am getting the run around. I was also told diagnosing this problem caused the ECU to render the car undriveable and that even though I didn't authorise this part it still needed to be replaced.

Thanks,
    Pug
    it looks like your going to fork out a lot of money for this job. ECUs and the engine are synched together, so if it had to be replaced then theres a lot of time and money to re-sync them. which mechanic is this, they dont seem to know what theyre doing?

what problems were you experiencing to send the car to the mechanic anyhow?

Tadpole

Hi Kinroh,

Thanks for the reply.

It's a problem that appears to be quite common with 206's, losing power while driving, cutting out on corners etc. Still driveable, just very annoying as I'd spent a small fortune on it elsewhere with no success. I've certainly made it clear I won't be paying for these repairs as when they first told me that they'd finally pinpointed the problem and what it was going to cost I told them to leave it as is and I'd just put up with it with the view to selling it later in the year (it's only worth $2000 trade max). When I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks I rang again to be told that the car was undriveable and they would cover the costs as it had to be fixed. I'm just curious how a car can be made undriveable by just diagnosing it.

Pug2013

Hi Kinroh,

Thanks for the reply.

It's a problem that appears to be quite common with 206's, losing power while driving, cutting out on corners etc. Still driveable, just very annoying as I'd spent a small fortune on it elsewhere with no success. I've certainly made it clear I won't be paying for these repairs as when they first told me that they'd finally pinpointed the problem and what it was going to cost I told them to leave it as is and I'd just put up with it with the view to selling it later in the year (it's only worth $2000 trade max). When I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks I rang again to be told that the car was undriveable and they would cover the costs as it had to be fixed. I'm just curious how a car can be made undriveable by just diagnosing it.

Pug2013
    Maybe they diagnosed it with a hammer?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

It would appear that way... The car industry would make a fortune if they stuffed up computers during diagnoses and made customers pay for it.

So is this syncing a job that takes a couple of days or weeks? They knew about the problem from around 15th February when they first told me about it so allowing for delivery it's still a hell of a long time to have it and repair it. I have been left without a car to get to work and no clear timeframe for its return as their communication has been non existent. I have to constantly chase them up.

Pug2013

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Not days, hours.
    Current stash
    67 404 77 504 Ti 84 505 GTi 89 405 Mi16 92 405 Mi16 96 306 XR 96 306 XT 97 306 cabriolet 02 Clio Privilege 08 Koleos DCi

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by young 4 old pug View Post
    Not days, hours.
    its a real shame that the 206 ended up in such a miserable way, they are such a great car, hope it doesnt deter you from the french maker.

i dont want to bad mouth the mechanic, but just for reference there is a sticky thread above which lists good mechanics in major cities and towns - so you can avoid this situation in the future.

Tadpole

This is now with the Office of Fair Trading as after ringing the MTAQ, they don't appear to be a member. After 108 days I am fed up. The loan car I was given after 97 days isn't even roadworthy - both front indicators not working, no headlights, no rego sticker and came delivered with fuel almost on empty. I keep being told "it will be ready tomorrow" or "I want it perfect" and then I hear nothing. I then have to contact them again. If I don't chase them up many weeks will pass as it has in the past. I've given them enough opportunities to resolve this. I don't want to go naming and shaming considering all the glowing recommendations from this site, however, enough is enough!

1000+ Posts

My sons friend had a head gasket issue with a vectra the mechanic repaired it ,lasted a couple of days ,he has just got it back after taking it up with fair trading ,didnt cost him a cent, although he was without it for 4 months ,pugs hope yours dousnt take that long

This is now with the Office of Fair Trading as after ringing the MTAQ, they don't appear to be a member. After 108 days I am fed up. The loan car I was given after 97 days isn't even roadworthy - both front indicators not working, no headlights, no rego sticker and came delivered with fuel almost on empty. I keep being told "it will be ready tomorrow" or "I want it perfect" and then I hear nothing. I then have to contact them again. If I don't chase them up many weeks will pass as it has in the past. I've given them enough opportunities to resolve this. I don't want to go naming and shaming considering all the glowing recommendations from this site, however, enough is enough!
    Geeez your lucky you didn't crash that loan car.You know its up to the driver to make sure its registered and roadworthy not the owner.
    It wouldn't have been insured either.

Just another thing to use against them at the office of fair trading. Good luck with it all.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

After 113 days without it, I've been offered an insulting $1000 from my mechanic to buy my car off me because they can't get it running, and asking me to take into account all the hours they've spent on it... due to them breaking it in the first place!! In February they told me it would be $1300 for a new computer and this is when I asked them to bring it back as it was going to be too expensive and not worth fixing. Then after not hearing back from them for another 10 days they admitted they'd caused the error and would cover the costs. Covering costs isn't asking me to take this into account when considering their offer to buy my car. What about where it's left me?I now have no car and no money for a new one. I should at least get what I could expect to sell it for if I sold it privately. What a wasted effort taking it down the coast was.

What had the office of fair trading said?
    Current stash
    67 404 77 504 Ti 84 505 GTi 89 405 Mi16 92 405 Mi16 96 306 XR 96 306 XT 97 306 cabriolet 02 Clio Privilege 08 Koleos DCi

Passed over stash
    lots.

Tadpole

OFT paid him a visit Friday in the hope of getting him to get this resolved and back to me. Promised the OFT the same as he'd promised me, back on Saturday, as he'd finally pinpointed the problem. Of course Saturday came and went without even a courtesy call to say it wouldn't be back. I shouldn't be surprised as he's given me 6 different return dates since just the 28th April.

Not sure where the OFT will go with this now. They've been Cc'd in all email contact I've had with this mechanic. I gave mechanic the price I would reasonably expect for my car but haven't heard back either way so fully expect my broken car to be returned to me on the back of a tow truck tonight.

In saying that, I wonder how much I would get for a 206 at the wreckers...

OFT paid him a visit Friday in the hope of getting him to get this resolved and back to me. Promised the OFT the same as he'd promised me, back on Saturday, as he'd finally pinpointed the problem. Of course Saturday came and went without even a courtesy call to say it wouldn't be back. I shouldn't be surprised as he's given me 6 different return dates since just the 28th April.

Not sure where the OFT will go with this now. They've been Cc'd in all email contact I've had with this mechanic. I gave mechanic the price I would reasonably expect for my car but haven't heard back either way so fully expect my broken car to be returned to me on the back of a tow truck tonight.

In saying that, I wonder how much I would get for a 206 at the wreckers...
    $2k? im guessing

Tadpole

Interesting, thanks. I told him I'd take 2.5k considering it was at least drivable when I left it there. It's only done a little over 104k, the body is in good condition and has a near new air conditioner. I'm standing by my request but will do some more research on the wreckers.

Interesting, thanks. I told him I'd take 2.5k considering it was at least drivable when I left it there. It's only done a little over 104k, the body is in good condition and has a near new air conditioner. I'm standing by my request but will do some more research on the wreckers.
    I don't know about you but I won't settle for anything less than them getting the car fixed, or them sending it off on your behalf to a qualified mechanic, and paying for half of the cost or something like that given your inconvenience. It looks like they've been trying to save face. Take it up further, you can win, things like this always depend on how resilient you are, and how much you're willing to put up with bureaucracy.
    1pugnut likes this.

Hi,
    1. Tried disconnecting the battery for at least an hour?

2. Nothing to loose?

With the ignition on disconnect the battery, now turn off the ignition. earth the positive battery cable (NOT THE BATTERY TERMINAL). this powers all ecu's down properly. now reconnect the battery and switch on the ignition. the ecu's will now be reset and all faults codes erased. if any fault is still present it will flag it up straight away and bring the warning light on.

3. England has heaps of ECUs about $90 on eBay incl key ignition locks etc
    PEUGEOT 206 ECU SET 40758899 1.6 PETROL 1998-2001 | eBay

Fellow Frogger!

I had an estimate of 2 hours to install a new ECU into my 206 GTi 180. This time was to re-program all the parameters for my car using the Peugeot software. This is at Spencer St Autos in Melbourne, run by Tony, who used to run the Melbourne Peugeot workshop. This also was due to me replacing with a rally ecu from peugeot, so the existing one is still OK.

Obviously if they don't have the full peugeot software, that might be a lot more difficult.

BCM

What a weird system. So you can't just pull one ECU out and stick another in?

The French are mad....

Quote Originally Posted by BCM View Post
    What a weird system. So you can't just pull one ECU out and stick another in?

The French are mad....
    Yup. (To both points)

The immobiliser code is "burnt" into the BSI and engine ecu, so they must be replaced as a pair (2nd hand - new ones come blank). Fitting a different coded ecu in will cause the engine ecu to "lock" and prevent starting of vehicle by disabling injection.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this 206 and having a crack at it but its all the way up there and I'm all the way down here

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash

Passed over stash
    lots.

Tadpole

Thanks for all your responses. The mechanic I took it to is supposes to be the best, he apparently even took it to Peugeot themselves but no luck. I don't even know now if this was the problem because they kept saying it was different things but somehow it got fried in the process.

The car is by all accounts dead, hence why I'm chasing up the money for it. I would've thought they'd have insurance for this.
    Last edited by Pug2013; 27th August 2013 at 09:57 AM.

I hope you will divulge the name once you get your money. These actions should have serious consequences. If they do it to one they will do it to more. Just think negative feedback on ebay. It's important for people to be aware of these rogues. I can't see any excuse for this crap.
    From what you say they are listed here with good recommendations. If you could even add this story to those it might balance the books somewhat.
    Actually I think you have been way too patient. Had you named them at the start they may have had an attack of conscience[wanted to keep a reputation]. They would even have had right of reply and perhaps we would have understood it from both sides.
    Don't know, but it seems they have now dug a big hole for themselves.
    Hope you get resolution very soon.

BCM

Quote Originally Posted by young 4 old pug View Post
    Yup. (To both points)

The immobiliser code is "burnt" into the BSI and engine ecu, so they must be replaced as a pair (2nd hand - new ones come blank). Fitting a different coded ecu in will cause the engine ecu to "lock" and prevent starting of vehicle by disabling injection.
    What a ludicrous setup. I've never heard of anything like it. What is the benefit from the designer's point of view?

Tadpole

I may just have been the unlucky person in a sea of happy customers, but they way they treated me when something went wrong is inexcusable. This could've been resolved easier if they'd treated me properly instead of keeping me on a string for now well over 7 months. I just want this resolved so I can get on with my life and get a car so I don't have to rely on others. It's not a lot of money but it's a lot for me.
    Last edited by Pug2013; 27th August 2013 at 09:01 AM.

This has gone far enough!
    A little trick that worked for me once:
    Go down to your local court house (Sheriff) and obtain the paperwork to summons the gentleman to court, fill it in BUT do not sign it.
    Visit your friend and show him what you intend and tell him he has (say) 2 days to come up with the cash (delivered into your hand) before you sign and submit the summons for court action. Explain to him that he will have to attend court for probably a day, and if (when) he loses he will have to pay up what he owes and the court costs (at least).
    And if he does not come good (with cash) in 2 days, then submit the summons application!

Good Luck
    Last edited by BIGRR; 26th August 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"