405 Fan Problem
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 Fan Problem

Tadpole

405 Fan Problem

A while ago my 405 GR started over heating after i had been driving for about 20 minutes, so i pulled over and opened the bonnet, and smoke was pouring out or some device right next to the right light. It was a metal cylendar with wires hooked up to it, and said "K8" on it in big writing and the other writing on it was too small to read. Just wondering if anyone knew what this was, thanks.

Advertisement

Tadpole
    I also forgot to mention that the fan no longer works when i turn the car off, it usually sounds like a turbo timer.

Fellow Frogger!
    [quote]Originally posted by ExTorT:
    <strong>I also forgot to mention that the fan no longer works when i turn the car off, it usually sounds like a turbo timer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ExTort:

Considering that you give few details - here's a guess for you. I had a look in my Hayne's manual and I presume that your 405 is an early series.

The cooling fan is two speed and is switched by a relay activated from two thermostats - one thermostat has two positions - one for high and one for low speed. Low speed is obtained by adding a resistor to the fan circuit.

My guess is that what has happened is the resistor has fried. You may be able to replace it and the fan may work. Also, you should check the fuse(s) for the fan circuit as they should have blown, and you should check for short circuits.

What should also be checked is the reason (assuming my guess is correct) for the fan resistor frying like this. Is the cooling fan jammed? That's about all I can think of.

cheers

Denis

[ 14 February 2002: Message edited by: Denis ]</p>

Tadpole
    Thanks a lot for the help, i just hope the resistors arnt too expensive
    ill see if the wreckers has one tomorrow, and hopefully grab a new inside door lock thing as some bastard riped it off

Tadpole
    ExTort:

Is your 405 have dual fan or single fan?
    If dual fan they don't have any resistor to make Low-High Speed. They work in series & paralel circuit.

Thread Information