306 finally arrives
  • Register
  • Help

306 finally arrives

Finally got my hands on my 306 XSi last Friday. Having fun learning to drive it dance

A few questions:

It needs new wiper blades- are these a Pug part or can I get new blades from an auto parts shop?

There is moisture in one of the headlights- how do I get it out or open something to dry it out?

Advertisement

With the central locking is it possible to have the tailgate locked while driving, or all passenger doors? I'm not keen to have everything unlocked while driving, esp at night.

The seller had the out-of-alignment rear door fixed for me prior to sale- it was just a matter of hinge adjustment. He was even nice enough to fill the tank with petrol for me!
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

1000+ Posts
    Hi Renweave dance

Wiper blades - they are a standard part so you can take a blade into an auto parts shop to get a matching size. For the ultimate in wiper smoothness, all of us Aussiefroggers recommend genuine new complete wiper assemblies made by Valeo. They're about $25 each from Auto France in Artarmon and make the world of difference if you've got jumping, chattering wipers. They'll do mail order.

About the locking - just knock your elbow on your drivers door lock to push it down. That will lock all doors and the tailgate. Everything will unlock when you start to pull the handle to open the door.

The headlight... I'd just take the globes out and find someone with an air compressor and dry it out

The tank of fuel's a bonus

Derek

My S16 locks as soon as I click to the second ignition point, then unlocks when the engine stops, or I open the door. Must have something to do with the alarm rather than the standard central locking.

Any ideas Xq?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Renweave, nice purchase. Get the pug wipers if you can, and rub a couple of coats off X-rain if you like (just ask for Xrain at Repco or wattever) and combined with the pug wipers they will be magic.
    The 306 central locking is active from both front doors, if you manualy unlock/lock the hatch the doors stay as is. So to lock all doors (Im assuming its to prevent hijacking) just lock your door as you sit down, it will lock all, and then re unlock all when you open it.Basically what Deka said.

Brad, mate that feature is a anti-hijack extra only realy found on some very good alarms, so yeah you have a pretty good unit on your hands mate. My alarm is completely isolated from the car's door locks, hence the theif would have to deal with both seperately, and the battery backup keeps that going too. but it means i gotta pres two buttons, to get in and two again to get out, bummer.. i need a logic and wiring diagram for the central locking controler to over come this as the UK haynes book is different to the aussie spec central locking and i haven't had much help from the pug mechs. cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Phasis:
    My S16 locks as soon as I click to the second ignition point, then unlocks when the engine stops, or I open the door. Must have something to do with the alarm rather than the standard central locking.

Any ideas Xq?
    mine does that too... it isn't too bad.... but i always have the windows down anyway... so doesnt really offer me much security

Phasis:
    I suspect that's a function of your alarm. It's a very American feature.

Many of the current Renaults do this.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

IT's a feature on the Merc A Class too. In the event that the Merc detects it's in an accident it unlocks them. I was impressed by that.

Renweave, congratulations on the new car. Sounds sweet. The 306 is a great car
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Glad to see your still keeping the R12. "The old beside the new."

Thanks Froggers! Have now worked out the locks and know where to get new wipers. How about the headlight moisture? I found the large plastic screw-off lid at the back of the headlight assembly, now how tricky is it to get out the globe? But how did the water get it? there is also a fly in there!!!
    I'm really pleased with the car, but will never part with my R12 wagon (my faithful friend for over 14 years!). Since I got the car on Friday I've had a string of friends and collegues waiting for a test drive/ride in it.
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

XTC
    GTI124:
    IT's a feature on the Merc A Class too. In the event that the Merc detects it's in an accident it unlocks them. I was impressed by that.
    The unlocking doors in accidents is also standard in multiplexed pugs.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

renweave:
    How about the headlight moisture? I found the large plastic screw-off lid at the back of the headlight assembly, now how tricky is it to get out the globe? But how did the water get it? there is also a fly in there!!!
    I'd do as Deka suggested, take any globe you can out, and blow it out with compressed air.
    Another way is to remove the whole light, im sure the 98 XSi have 1 piece light/indicators. So unplug the whole wiring harnes.
    Look for the upper retaining bolts, and there is a few other tricky ones to look for in the engine bay, you might need to jack the car up and remove the wheel, remove the inner plastic splash guards and see if yo can see anyother bolts holding it on.
    Then obviously remove and clean out. good luck. XQ

ps, keep the old faithfull yes..
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Renweave,

I don't know how often you come to Sydney, but if you're ever driving past my work (Woodville Rd Granville) pop in and we'll blow it dry with the air compressor. The globe should be held in with a spring loaded catch type mechanism.

Same goes for any other froggers - pop in The compressor's always on and ready to go. Ask for myself or Phil.

Derek.

XTC206:
    GTI124:
    The unlocking doors in accidents is also standard in multiplexed pugs.

- XTC206 -
    oh really? cool!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    should be 3 bolts holding the headlight in
    you need to remove the grille then unplug the two main wiring harnesses off the back of it then as it comes forward you can then get in to unclip the third wiring harness for the indicator
    be gentle when removing the grille as the little clips that go in under the headlights are fragile and it you can get your fingers in underneath sqeeze them together ever so slightly to clear them from the head light
    point to remember when removing the headlight is to not to try and move the adjuster on the inner side of the light as this will upset the direction the light will point
    wrap a bit of tape around it to be sure otherwise you will be hunting possums at night
    do as derek says and blow the headlight out but be careful not to break the auto adjuster as they are a very flimsy piece of plastic so be vareful when removing the globe and try not to exert too much force on it but they are only a little spring clip as per normal H1 globes
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts
    pugrambo:
    I suppose you know this well after the roo incident? Did you get a new bonnet pugrambo?

Derek

renweave:
    Finally got my hands on my 306 XSi last Friday. Having fun learning to drive it dance
    Congratulations. We've still our 12 wagon too!

You'll love the 306 more with time too. We do anyway.

Enjoy it.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    DeKa:
    pugrambo:
    I suppose you know this well after the roo incident? Did you get a new bonnet pugrambo?

Derek
    Deka
    yeah i know the front end very well
    but i also knew it well as i have pulled the front off before to fix the thermo fans and the remedy the squirter bottle motor
    the front ends are very easy to pull off the 306 and the fog lights tend to become loose after a while as well so it is always a good time to make sure they are right while you are under there

as for the bonnet i am going to be ordering one this week or next week from northmead, fingers crossed it is made to the same specs as the OEM panel
    would you believe that northmead had the bonnet for $350 and rad support for $250 both italian but ASV had the same items but $475 for a bonnet and $175 for a rad support so i ordered a rad support from ASV today fingers crossed once again it has all the holes in the right spots
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information