505 rear fogs
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 rear fogs

nJm

505 rear fogs

The instruction book for my car makes a few mentions of rear fog lights, and I can see which part of the rear light assembly it would sit in, however there isn't a bulb holder on the ciruit board. I've also discovered there is wiring going up to a blank 'switch' filler thing in the dash.

I know you very rarely need rear fog lights in Australia, probably only ever in the alps and tassie, however I'm curious why they did choose not to put them on.

Advertisement

I was thinking if possible it would be nice to some how get those extra rear 'lights' to become brake lights, as the 505 has pathetic small rear brake lights.

Just a thought,

cheers
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    grab some busted tail lights out of anything and take the guts out needed for the globe to work and put them in the blanks
    wire them up and away you go
    i have done this to every 604 i have ever owned as they had the spot for rear fogs but nothing ever in them
    i always set them up so i have tail in the middle red square and brakes on either side on the 604's
    for any GTi-6 owners out there turn on your rear fogs and see what you have lit up at the rear
    you may find only one side lit up
    for some reason they only put in one globe and the other side is blanked off by a little plastic strip
    remove the plastric strip and place a globe in there and you will then have 2 rear fogs
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Nick, let us know how you go with it. I'm interested in doing the conversion to my rear lights as well.

Is the fog part of the red lens any different to the stop light part? Wouldn't really want to blind the person in the car behind everytime I step on the brakes... eek! eek!

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

nJm
    Good point Richard. Mind you, I'd rather they saw me and were slightly blinded than not see me stopping at all... eek!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Most of the rear fog lights I've seen on older European cars have shiny reflectors behind the globe, rather than dull silver. Have a look at the tail lights on a late Volvo 240 sedan and you'll see what I mean.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Fellow Frogger!
    Nick,

The fitment of active rear fog lights on the 505 occurred with the Series 2 GTI.

A push-button switch (with appropriate 'fog symbol') is located on the dash. When activated, the rear fog lights (centre of the rear lenses - Series 2 type) iluuminates only with low beam selected. With high beam activated, the circuit is broken.

I guess on fog bound autobahns and motorways in Europe, it would reduce the number of rear end collisions. I use them around my region (Tamworth and else where), as fog can be quite common at this time of the year.

Incidentally, the fog lamp lens colour is similar to the reversing light.

Cheers,

Kim.

Most current cars seem to have only one fog light. My guess is that some markets at least make one manditory, to avoid confusion with brake lights. The 406 has a single rear fog lamp. So do at least some Mercs.

The 505 sli also came fitted with twin rear fog lights. Mine stay on with high beam though I think. They won't work at all unless the headlights are at least on low beam.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 22 May 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm

I know this is really digging a thread out of the distant past but I've finally decided to give my car at least one rear fog light. Melbourne has been getting some really thick fog out my way in recent mornings and the 505's rather weak rear parking lights mean even I have a hard time finding my silver car when it is a few car lengths ahead (got dad to drive it one morning).

So I guess I need a S1 505 dash switch (can I just use a demister/hazards switch?) and plug it into the wiring behind the empty slot? Then how exactly would I fit a globe to the rear light assembly? I don't know a whole lot about electrics.

Thanks!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Icon7

Nick,

As for the switch, you are probably better off using a demister switch as it has 5 contacts on the back. The Hazard switch has about 8 or 10 and I'm not sure it would work. As to fitting a globe you'd have to get a generic globe holder and somehow mount it into the existing cluster. Figuring which wire turns on the fog lamps wouldn't be too hard as all wires are numbered. It would just be a matter of reading the numbers on the wires into the switch socket and seeing which one corresponds to the wire at the taillight end. I've included a rather badly drawn pinout of the actual switch, this may assist you to figure which wire does what at the switch end. I pulled a demister switch to bits in order to draw it.

These switches come up on eBay motors in the US fairly frequently. I bought a foglight one and it cost me a total of about $9AUS including postage:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/peugeo...Z6000QQsaspiZ2

It would be useful to be able to get stickers with symbols on them to put onto the switches for such things as driving lights or horns that matched the existing switches.

Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 rear fogs-demister-switch-pinout.jpg  
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information