Muffler advice please
  • Register
  • Help

Default Muffler advice please

My 1.6 205 Dimma has a Lukey muffler, about 4" diameter maybe 12" long and mounted mid car, no rear box.
    It's noisy, I mean way too loud.
    Son in law ( man in blue ) reckons its only just legal.
    Can anyone advise which rear box to add that will reduce the noise somewhat without restricting the flow too much please?
    Cheers
    Keith

Advertisement
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

I think your best bet is to go back to factory specs. Peugeot did a very good job on these cars and I don't think you can improve anything with aftermarket stuff. The problem will be finding original parts.

If your car had a catalyst from factory it is illegal to remove it, just so you know.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I'm fairly sure Lukey can knock up a std spec exhaust. Ask Graham Wallis about it, I think he had one made up.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

The Lukey system thats on there now is just a pipe from the manifold, half way along a small resonator about 4" dia X 12" long, pretty sure its not a cat, and then the pipe to the back of the car.
    What I really need is a back box to suit.
    If Graham Wallis reads this can you get in touch please? or anyone else that can suggest a solution ?
    cheers
    Keith
    Last edited by keithscossie; 8th December 2012 at 06:06 PM.

just add a triple flow lukey muffler to the rear? if it only has a resonator i would expect it to be loud are you sure its not some sort of muffler midway? my car has an original cat but no resonator mid point with a lukey triple flow muffler on the rear and i think its a good combination. not too loud and drowny but still deep and growly as a lukey should be. its taken ages to find a combination im happy with. im not sure if resonators are required for legalities?

I agree. Pop down to the local muffler shop and get a triple flow unit fitted, no bigger than 2".

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

In my experience you get what you pay for... I had a cheapish back box on my car and had to change it as it was too loud. Spent more dollars on basically the same spec size wise and has made the world fo difference. The muffler bloke that sold me the good one said that the main difference is in the harmonics of the muffler and the quality if the filling.

In other words, buying cheap was a false economy, spend some $s and you'll be better sorted.

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    just add a triple flow lukey muffler to the rear? if it only has a resonator i would expect it to be loud are you sure its not some sort of muffler midway? my car has an original cat but no resonator mid point with a lukey triple flow muffler on the rear and i think its a good combination. not too loud and drowny but still deep and growly as a lukey should be. its taken ages to find a combination im happy with. im not sure if resonators are required for legalities?
    OH it's LOUD alright !
    Enough to make driving tedious.
    I'll pop around to the local Lukey dealership this week and see what they can offer.
    Thanks folks.

Fellow Frogger!

I'd definitely go for a tri-flow muffler if you're going to be driving it often. The stainless straight through on mine would've cost the previous owner more than an entire standard cat-back but it's too loud for the street and I can't wait to get rid of it.

There's nothing worse than a modified car that makes more decibels than kilowatts.
    Last edited by 88lp; 10th December 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thread Information