PEugeot 206 GTI - Gearbox / Speedo Question
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default PEugeot 206 GTI - Gearbox / Speedo Question

I've been working on my peugeot 206 gti , ripped the gearbox from the engine , replaced the clutch. I'm putting the puzzle back together but seem to be after missing something.The speedo casing doesn't seem to want to reattach itself to the gearbox , it's like there should be some piece between them.I'm missing something.

Then there is this large rubber ring that I don't know where it came from.

I've attached some pics.Any ideas?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PEugeot 206 GTI - Gearbox / Speedo Question-gb.jpg   PEugeot 206 GTI - Gearbox / Speedo Question-rubber.jpg  

dunno... my 206gti gearbox is sitting on my shed floor with that assembly loose just like yours - ill poke around and see what's what.....

Is that "rubber ring" from the input shaft support? It sure looks like a seal.

As to the speedo housing - remove the driven assembly; the O-rings will likely be turned to wood from age and exhaust heat. Fit the speedo gear to the output of the diff, then try carefully slipping the extension housing over. If the dry fit works, repeat with Permatex or (preferably) 1211 sealant.

Tadpole

The housing won't mate to the gearbox as it is , seems like the rubber ring might be a seal between the speedo housing and the gearbox.I don't recall seeing it there when it was on the car.There doesn't seem to be anywhere else for it to go!!

There is a small rubber ring on the shaft as well but that just seems like a stopper of sorts that rests near the drivers side of the speedo casing.

Mine is all bolted up again so didn't take it apart. But the housing is a firm fit with the rubber sealing O ring. Firm but gentle pressure making sure the speedo gears are not jammed and it should slip into place.

I don't recall anything like that extra ring you have...

Tadpole

Cool , thanks for that Haakon !! I think the rubber ring I have is a "deflector", just sits on the shaft close to the speedo housing.

Why would there be one?

How did you come into the part?

Are you sure it's not an oil seal from the input shaft front extension housing?

Best you compare this

http://www.qclt.com/html/标致307_607维修...b/b2cg6nk3.htm

Mine was just loose, I didn't dismantle.

My thoughts - from the photos an o-ring is missing from the diff housing. It may still be on the speedo housing but your picture is not clear.

As addo suggested, the offending rubber bit looks more like an oil seal (for a driveshaft, for example), though I'm not certain.

As addo also suggested, it would probably be better to remove the speedo drive/sensor from the housing (and replace its o-ring) before fitting the housing to the diff.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Ok , I've gotten to the bottom of this.Basically the outer race of the differential (I think that's what it s called) needed to be pushed in , this allowed the speedo extension to mate to the gearbox.I'll replace the o ring , seems silly not to.

I'm still not sure where the large rubber ring/seal came from !!I'm going to start bolting everything up tmw evening so maybe i'll see where it belongs then.Thanks for the replies!

Thread Information