Peugeot 405 Mi16 Series 2 for sale / opinions wanted.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Peugeot 405 Mi16 Series 2 for sale / opinions wanted.

Hi guys,
    As the title says, there is one of these for sale at a local car yard. I'm new to 405's, but always liked the Mi16's. It's build date is May '94. I checked it out today. Body and paint is in very good condition. Sorrento Green i think you call the colour. Straight car, passenger door looks like it has dropped or something though. Partial luxury pack by the looks of it. Leather seats, ABS.
    Speaking to the owner of the car yard, he couldn't provide any documents of the maintenance history of the car. All he did know is that it needs a new head gasket. It also needs a new left front headlight, which is totally smashed. Looking at it myself, the front brake pads are shot, different brands of tyres on every wheel, one with no tread. Black oil when checking the dipstick. Murky milky sludge when taking the oil cap off, and having a look. Oil around the outside of the oil cap too.
    Everything else looked neat and tidy under the bonnet. Obviously the cambelt would need changing, having no records of when it was last done. And obviously entering unknown territory with no records of what work has EVER been done mechanically. He is wanting $1995 as is, and wouldn't move from that figure. Potentially could cost $$$$ to get it on the road. So my question is to you 405 guys, and old PUG guys in general. What do you think? Should i wait for a better example mechanically? It's a damn nice looking example.

Advertisement

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by dave 306; 6th December 2012 at 12:58 AM.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

1998 306 Style Dragoon Blue (Workhorse 220,000K's)

If the rest is that dodgy, I'd check the paint isn't tarted up somehow!

405s are still worthless to anyone other than enthusiasts; everything you throw at one is irretrievably spent. I'm not saying "don't" - just keen to make sure you understand this point. Allow for a clutch, and all suspension to be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If the rest is that dodgy, I'd check the paint isn't tarted up somehow!

405s are still worthless to anyone other than enthusiasts; everything you throw at one is irretrievably spent. I'm not saying "don't" - just keen to make sure you understand this point. Allow for a clutch, and all suspension to be rebuilt.
    Thanks Addo...you are certainly correct. Worthless to anyone but enthusiasts. It's done about 250,000km's, so could be problem after problem. To me it looked like the roof had been resprayed. Only because the paint looked that perfect. But i think i'll have a closer look.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

405s are still worthless to anyone other than enthusiasts;
    Thats may not be strictly correct.
    Whats scrap value these days for a complete car?? $300 perhaps.
    Jo

With 250K, no service history & the issues you've identified it's best years are past. Offer him at best half of what he's asking. Don't be afraid to walk away if he baulks.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Hi you blokes. Get with it. MI16's are priceless. Have just taken delivery of a not too bad 95 series2 for $750. Yes it has a few faults, but it is still better to drive than the General's current new junk, and i own it all. Look long and hard unless you can do most of the work yourself. Then find some good twisty roads and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Cheers, Geoff

Wouldn't pay more than $1000 personally.

1000+ Posts

Hi-I know the car-give me a buzz on 0408 100 364 if you like.
    Cheers.
    Pekay

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    Wouldn't pay more than $1000 personally.
    Yeah, i offered $1000 on the spot. He reckons he will put it on ebay, and see what he can get.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-I know the car-give me a buzz on 0408 100 364 if you like.
    Cheers.
    Pekay
    I knew someone here would know the car
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

Good luck on the hunt, I bought the first gti6 I laid my eyes on and as you probably know. If they are abused in the past they're costly to fix. I imagine a nice MI16 would be the same

Quote Originally Posted by dave 306 View Post
    He reckons he will put it on ebay, and see what he can get.
    Don't fall for that. It's a tactic to panic you into a purchase.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    Good luck on the hunt, I bought the first gti6 I laid my eyes on and as you probably know. If they are abused in the past they're costly to fix. I imagine a nice MI16 would be the same
    Yep, agree. Luckily mine is mint. No probs at all. Sorry to hear about yours.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6 View Post
    Don't fall for that. It's a tactic to panic you into a purchase.

Yeah, i asked if he's ever put a car on ebay, and he said no.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

You are one lucky person, Dave, and the seller is a fool for knocking back your offer.
    The car you have described is worth scrap value and not a cent more.
    IF you really want an Mi16, find one that has been loved, not a neglected POS.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    You are one lucky person, Dave, and the seller is a fool for knocking back your offer.
    The car you have described is worth scrap value and not a cent more.
    IF you really want an Mi16, find one that has been loved, not a neglected POS.

Jo
    I like your style Jo, and yeah i know that was a good offer.
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

1000+ Posts

Hi-I reckon that if you do not know the car & or it's prior history then you have no idea what you are talking about-TRUTH.

If you know the car & or it's history then you have some idea what you are talking about-Truth.

Having held [& still do to my knowledge still do]the most consistently fair deals in Kellow -Falkiners 100 year History in 1978 I never recommended a car that I new was dodgy& would & never did or have recommended some one buy a Pommie car-except a 306.

K/F sold Rollers,R Rovers 7 other Pommie stuff plus Pugs & Renaults.

Cheers,
    Pekay.
    Last edited by pekay49; 6th December 2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Correction

I am offended by your somewhat scrambled comment.

I do have some idea of what I'm talking about. I drive over 40 000km a year in mixed environments and fix my own stuff; my vehicles have failed to proceed when
    (a.) a plastic coolant elbow broke spontaneously due to old age,
    (b.) a 300000km alternator's brushes wore to the springs and lost contact and
    (c.) two events of lignous material ingress.

I own an Mi16, a Xantia, a 605, a Berlingo (in addition to other vehicles including an older English sports car) and am quite confident when expressing a subjective opinion based on my exposure to these or their brethren.

Should someone like Dave be willing to take on a car that - by his own observation - needs some immediate work - then you would note that people such as myself may well offer practical advice based on direct experience covering aspects of what to do, how to stage or prioritise repairs, and where to source parts economically.

As you have exposed yourself as (apparently) nothing more than a former car salesman, I say "Pull your head in".

Default Buy mine instead!

My series 2 mi16 will go on the market soon! It's been a very loved car through out it's life!
    has leather, very nice sound system, a great engine (now), Will be sold with rego till august (something) and a RWC for $3,500. The front is lowered can raise back up if prefered but either way will go with the other struts. it will either come with a nice set of 16 or 17 inch wheels! Haven't decided which I'd prefer to part with! Will also go with personalised plates FOUR 05

Peugeot 405 Mi16 Series 2 for sale / opinions wanted.-photo0302.jpgPeugeot 405 Mi16 Series 2 for sale / opinions wanted.-photo0234.jpg
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

"nothing' more than a former salesman that knows what he is talking about-has owned many Peugeot -has worked on many Peugeots -knows how to priorities repairs-has also had personal contact with Roland Peugeot.

Was also responsible for setting Mobil for setting Mobil Oil's world marketing plan in 1985 -Offered a platform in Federal Senate as it was recognised that I had the ability to pull this Country in 3 years time.

I have also been responsible for helping many people become hugely successful in life.

i also know that car -have worked on it -the ONLY REASON IT WAS SOLD WAS THAT THE GUYS WIFE HAD M.S.& the money was needed for medical purposes.The guy came back later on & wanted to buy the car back-needed a car that day but as he needed a car that day & there was no chance of organising a r/w that day he walked across the road & bought a car from Sevarino's where he had purchased the M.I.

The prior owner-as far as I recall -babied that M.I-it was sheded & babied all of it's life.Dave the guy looking @ the car phoned me @ about 12.15 & we spoke @ length about the car.Maybe he would care to comment on his ACTUAL opinion of how I related to him re the situation

Might also add that when @ Kellows customers used to come from all over Vic. to buy cars from me because I new could be trusted.

I also owned a Landscaping business for 15 years -employing up to 25 people.Huge Referrals -work displayed in Home Beautiful-did work for Vindin Suares-Victoria's Premier Builders @ the time & did heaps of work for their clients.

Interestingly one of my earlier contracts was for Ian Cavanagh-Dave & Steve's dad.In fact suggested to Dave that he call the business French Connection.Dave was in his nappies when i first met him.

If you know him you may like to ask him what sort of a bloke this 'just a former car salesman' is about.

So again someone is commenting on something he does not talking about.

What I find interesting is how I have simply stated that comments by people who do not know what they are talking about are giving opinions without any FACTS.

The reason comment on A.F Cars for sale because of comments as such above.

Take the case of the Blue S2 205 G.T.I that was for sale in Melbourne so many comments that had no foundation.

I have met the guy that bought the car & it was nothing like some of the baseless comments on this site.

A guy I spent personal quiet some personal time with a man who had leaders of Nations seek him out seeking wisdom on how to SUCCESSFULLY run their country -Was personally responsible for Ronald Reagan ripping up his Communist Membership Card & has known at least 5 Presidents used to-as was speaking to hundreds of thousands of people around the World helping them have a better life used to say about people who used to denigrate other people & pull them down was-"THE PROBLEM THE SPOT IS THE PROBLEM THEY GOT"

So maybe the 'problem you got' relates to your comment about me which which was totally unnecessary unfounded & uncalled for because I do know what I am talking about-I KNOW THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you have a GREAT DAY.

Pekay.

I am offended by your somewhat scrambled comment.

I do have some idea of what I'm talking about. I drive over 40 000km a year in mixed environments and fix my own stuff; my vehicles have failed to proceed when
    (a.) a plastic coolant elbow broke spontaneously due to old age,
    (b.) a 300000km alternator's brushes wore to the springs and lost contact and
    (c.) two events of lignous material ingress.

I own an Mi16, a Xantia, a 605, a Berlingo (in addition to other vehicles including an older English sports car) and am quite confident when expressing a subjective opinion based on my exposure to these or their brethren.

Should someone like Dave be willing to take on a car that - by his own observation - needs some immediate work - then you would note that people such as myself may well offer practical advice based on direct experience covering aspects of what to do, how to stage or prioritise repairs, and where to source parts economically.

As you have exposed yourself as (apparently) nothing more than a former car salesman, I say "Pull your head in".

I've known Pekay for 40 years (shit Pete has it been that long) and he actually does know his Pugs and does know what he's taking about. If he says he knows this car and can give a report on it thats good enough for me.

He was never a good car salesman because he was always to honest, I sometimes thought he was his own worst enemy when it comes to selling.
    When it comes to Pugs he's been there done that.

Dave, you will save a lot of money by buying cav91's car. Mi16's are one of the greatest driving cars Peugeot have ever made, this car has everything done and is roadworthy, just drive it and enjoy it.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

As has been just pointed out 40,000 k a year isn't much-person wished they only did that.

I have ONLY driven round 125,00 per year for the last 44 years -so maybe -just maybe -I do not know what I am talking about.

See Ya.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    I have ONLY driven round 12,500 per year for the last 44 years -so maybe -just maybe -I do not know what I am talking about.

See Ya.
    I'm not looking to wade in but that does make me giggle.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    I'm not looking to wade in but that does make me giggle.
    I think thats suppose to mean 125,000
    I once told him I average 50,000 and he said he wished he only did that
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hey Pekay, weren't KF just up the road from Harry Sharpes in High St Northcote? I used to run errands for my Dad who's business was in Arthurton Road opposite Neelands.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch