removing sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By slash.dot.dash

Thread: removing sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.

Default removing sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.

Any thoughts on how the glass comes off. Ive removed the two rubber gromets on the end of the track closest to the rear but am now stuck and am being cautiouse as not to break anything.

Advertisement

Hello did anyone get back to with this issue. I am guessing from the lack of post maybe not. I just bought a 205 with a sunroof and can see leaves under the rear edge of the glass so I am going to attempt to pull my sunroof apart and share my experience with you. Wish me luck

I haven't removed the glass, but I have removed the trims. The front trims come off first. The front pieces are clamped in place by a clamp that's done up from below. To release that you have to remove the interior light surround. You can then undo the clamps from under. The front pieces of the trim can then slide outwards. Once they are removed you can then see the screws holding the side trims on.

Thanks Richard I am going to have to remove the glass to clean out the leaves so I will take some photos as I do and upload them for future reference. Are there any tricks to the light surround? My interior is fairly broken tab free at the moment that I can tell so I intend to go slowly slowly to keep it that way.
    regards
    Rowan

1000+ Posts

My only experience is with 405 ,and the securing screws are on either side torks from memory two on each side ,pugs pull the slide back on the inside

removing sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-imag0488.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-imag0487.jpg

this may or may not help. Took a shot form a revue technique copy I have. i always use google translate to get the jist of whats going on

I did get the sunroof off, you need to remove the clips in the rails where the glass slides on at the very rear.

OK I did this today WITHOUT breaking anything. Here is the process for future reference.
    1. Pry out courtesy light (this is fairly easier as mine was falling out so I didn't take any photos).
    2. Pry out the map reading light (this just eases out with a flat blade - see Sunroof2.
    3. Remove the single screw retaining the light trim - see Sunroof4
    4. Slide the trim to the rear of the car to release from the tabs shown - see Sunroof 5.
    5. The sunroof release handle is held on with 2 nuts (purple arrows) and two screws (blue arrows) - see Sunroof6. There is no need to remove the nuts unless you want to take the handle off - which is not necessary to remove the sunroof.
    6. I forgot to take a photo of the inside of the front sunroof cover trim but there are two metal clip nuts on the very centre of the trim that hold the trim in place. These are the two screws shown in the previous step. All the rest of the trim is only clipped on. Once you remove the screws you just pull the front trim toward the front of the car. I have shown the screw holes in Sunroof 10.
    7. The side trims are retained by a single torn screw at the front (see Sunroof11). Remove this one and then slide the trim towards the back of the car and then out to release the trim - see Sunroof13.
    8. Remove the sunroof grab handle by prying open the covers in the handle (see Sunroof16). Remove the handle by undoing the two screws secured to the seal nut on the top of the glass.
    9 To remove the glass open the clips at the back of the channels (see Sunroof17). This allows the glass to slide all the way back off the car. Make sure when you put it back to secure the clips back into the channel profile in the slides (the blue circles in Sunroof17). I forgot these and the sunroof was really rough when operating so I had to take it off again. You will see what I mean when you get to this point.
    10. As per the Haynes manual reinstall is the reverse of the above.....
    11. You can see from Sunroof10 & Sunroof19 why I was wanting to remove the sunroof.....removing sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof2.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof4-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof5-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof6-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof10-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof11-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof13-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof16-copy.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof17.jpgremoving sunroof glass on 205 gti for cleaning and respray.-sunroof19.jpg
    addo and blekk like this.

I just took my sunroof out today in prep for a resort and I followed the steps described above. Very helpful and I can vouch for the methodology. My car also had years of dirt built up underneath!

I take the plastic strips out with the glass, makes life easier, just did this yesterday.

Thread Information