drive shaft reconditioning in Sydney?
  • Register
  • Help

Default drive shaft reconditioning in Sydney?

OK, so I've been looking on google. turned up central driveshaft services at Five Dock. Has anyone used them? They are fairly convenient for me.

I think I have to accept that the driveshafts are probably the cause of my clunks and other weird noises. I replaced the caliper pins on the left today with no change in the grumbles I'm getting, or the clunks.

Advertisement

Shafts have done 240,000KM, there is no clicking on full lock, but the grumbles are coming when turning left. clunks on acceleration, and occasionally on braking.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

con
    Fellow Frogger!

A few years ago I bought a set of reconditioned CVs for the 306 from them.
    No complaints. They seemed to have a good reputation then. Haven't dealt with them recently.

con....
    Last edited by con; 1st December 2012 at 06:17 PM.

thanks Con
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Your noises actually sound like suspension wear. Have you checked the strut tops?

Default drive shaft reconditioning in Sydney?

Central driveshafts in fivedock are great. First time I went he had new peugeot bearing and hubs. I had him make mine with stronger bearings than normal for Motorsport use, he knew what I wanted.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Hi Addo, The strut tops were replaced about 3 weeks ago (clunks were there before and I thought that was it). Certainly some of the clunks are now gone. Also Had the new poly bushes (both front and pbushes) put in at the time. I replaced both lower ball joints in June. Sway bar bushes were examined and deemed to be fine. I've also done the droplinks recently (was the first thing I thought was causing the noises, and one certainly was shot. The struts were replaced around 165,000KM now on 240,000KM.

Parry thanks. I think I will give them a call tomorrow, and arrange to bring the car in for a check, It doesn't hurt to look! The driveshafts are original, nothing has been done to them in the life of the car.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Check your 3 x engine mounts, these can make noises like this when hard turning also, mine are all half shot at 100k 2007 307 hdi 2lt, the bottom rear is really shot. Noises like cv or muffled bumping grumbling sound.

Cheers George

Thanks George. Gearbox mount was replaced in June and the other two were done a few weeks ago

I'm not rushing into doing this after reading some of the other driveshaft related threads. If I have to drive a different car to Coff's in a few weeks so be it

I'm still thinking the caliper might be a problem, Pads are almost down to minimum. I might replace those first and see what effect that has. Logic being that with the thin pads the slide pins are operating at their extremity, putting new ones in should bring it back to a different position.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

So I dropped in and saw Paul V the other evening. Went for a drive and the grumbling noise was there but it wouldn't clunk (even though it has been doing it with monotonous regularity).

Tracked down the grumble to being the top joint on the LH droplink. pulling on the swaybar would provoke the noise. I've taken it off and lubricated (they are rose joints) and it appears to have fixed the problem.

The clunk is another matter though. Paul did manage to get it to make the noise once (though since I wasn't in the car I can't be sure it was the same noise). He thought it might be the gearbox mount. He checked all suspension and subframe and everything was tight..... He didn't think it was likely to be the driveshafts.

I pulled out the battery box and checked it today. IT was tight and no sign of any problems. I slackened everything off, gave the engine a bit of a heave and then tightened everything back up again. Unfortunately no change.

It seems to be doing it a bit more regularly when braking now too. So not just on acceleration, but also when braking. I replaced the lower Ball joint back in June, and it seems tight, but I'm wondering if it could be the culprit (only showing problems under load).

The other thing that seems odd is that it would not do it with Paul in the passenger seat (or with him driving) but it will do it regularly with me driving by myself.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

So I dropped in and saw Paul V the other evening. Went for a drive and the grumbling noise was there but it wouldn't clunk (even though it has been doing it with monotonous regularity).

Tracked down the grumble to being the top joint on the LH droplink. pulling on the swaybar would provoke the noise. I've taken it off and lubricated (they are rose joints) and it appears to have fixed the problem.

The clunk is another matter though. Paul did manage to get it to make the noise once (though since I wasn't in the car I can't be sure it was the same noise). He thought it might be the gearbox mount. He checked all suspension and subframe and everything was tight..... He didn't think it was likely to be the driveshafts.

I pulled out the battery box and checked the gearbox mount today. IT was tight and no sign of any problems. I slackened everything off, gave the engine a bit of a heave and then tightened everything back up again. Unfortunately no change.

It seems to be doing it a bit more regularly when braking now too. So not just on acceleration, but also when braking. I replaced the lower Ball joint back in June, and it seems tight, but I'm wondering if it could be the culprit (only showing problems under load).

The other thing that seems odd is that it would not do it with Paul in the passenger seat (or with him driving) but it will do it regularly with me driving by myself.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Has anyone gone through the same exercise in Perth ?
    Any recommendations please?
    Cheers
    Keith
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

Thread Information