Need a remote key for a 1999 306 XT
  • Register
  • Help

Default Need a remote key for a 1999 306 XT

When my daughter bought her 1999 306 XT, the seller only had one key for it, ie the non remote key .

Advertisement

How do I go about getting a remote key, what's the process to get it programmed and cut, and about how much will it cost?

Is this something a locksmith can provide?

Thanks
    sgtpeps

Tadpole

The remote key needs the infrared sender programmed with the code to unlock your car and not someone else's and also has to have a transponder so that the engine immobiliser will allow you to start the car.

As you don't have the original key, I believe that the programming information would have to be obtained from Peugeot by matching the codes against the car's VIN. This sounds like an expensive trip to a Peugeot dealer and I am not even sure that the 306 key is still available as a spare part. It's unfortunate that the key was lost as a non-functional remote key can often be repaired.

Mark

Thanks for your detailed answer Mark. I haven't yet approached the local Peugeot dealer in Perth, as I could see $$$$ disappearing from my pocket. I imagine, the same process is still needed for a non remote key. As my daughter has only the one non remote key, the pressure is on her not to lose it. I don't imagine a non remote key is much cheaper than a remote one if she was to opt to make the second key a non remote one as well.

Tadpole

we bought the girl-child a 206 that came with just the 1 key. was the one with the remote, thank goodness, but still needed a spare. to buy & cut without remote was $120, & then an additional $200-odd to have it programmed. That's from DVG Melville, 18 months ago. Good luck!
    Froggy Family:
    Current:

'09 407 HDi - "Big Pugsley"
    '07 206 XR - "Baby Pugsley" belongs to the girl-child
    '11 C5 HDI - Number 3 for hubby!

Previous:
    First car - 1972 Renault 12 GL - "Reginald" Loved it to bits for 10 years.
    '99 306 XTDT - "Little Pugsley" - first Peugeot. SOLD Sadly missed - such a hoot to drive!
    '01 petrol C5 - even converted the husband!
    '05 C5 HDi - number 2 - belonged to hubby

I love it.

A '99 306 could be IR or RF. Would you believe, I have three 306 RF plips right here? One is a spare, looking for a new owner.

It's unlikely the key is chipped (as the above 206 is/was) so you only need a mechanical cut key (around 15 plus post off Fleabay and then a session with Peugeot Planet to recognise the remote (although I would try a DIY re-sync first as this is free).

Thanks addo. The non remote key that my daughter has looks exactly the same as the non remote key for my MY2000 306 (made in 1999), so I am quite sure it would need the more expensive option, ie is that the IR one?

Mr Minnit can do Peugeot code apparently. After I got mine done at the Peugeot dealer, I took it to them to get it cut, and they do the cut and program for like $90 as opposed to Peugeot's $190. -.-
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

Fellow Frogger!

306 keys

N5 onwards used chipped keys with immobizers (97 -)
    Radio frequency (2 button) remotes 1999 onwards

Alain

Thread Information