205 GTI Engine Mounts - Advice Needed!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 GTI Engine Mounts - Advice Needed!

I know it has probably been covered to death, but I'm looking at changing out all my engine mounts as a matter of preventative maintenance and I think they are due to be replaced anway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy some good quality OEM mounts or similar? I dont really want Group N mounts as its only a daily driver and I dont think I could put up with the added vibration!

Advertisement

Has anyone had any luck with powerflex bushes? I think the bottom engine mount comes in a two piece from powerflex which removes the need to take the right drive shaft out to replace the bottom bush.

Thanks!

Control arm bushes keep standard. Actually, I'm of the school that says everything std except for maybe the lower engine mount.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Group N, because racecar.
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    Group N, because racecar.
    Where is the like button

Default 205 GTI Engine Mounts - Advice Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobomacho View Post
    Where is the like button
    I think you two need to get a room...lol

Getting back to the topic for standard parts try Caravelle in Box Hill Vic. These will give back a standard car feel which is what you want for a road car in my opinion. Polyurethane is too harsh and causes lots of vibration felt in the car. Also I would be extremely surprised if anyone provides a two part lower engine mount bush as I can't see how you could fit it or make it last.....

Im with Andrew. Standard is by far the best option unless you are competing in it...

I just bought all new mounts froms EAI.

I love my Group A mounts in my car...

Ran the powerflex stuff in my 306 and it was good...

Go standard for road car. Align them correctly and they are the best.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

the group n's are good enough that i cant see the engine move when i start it or rev it. but when your racecaring to work all you hear is bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz through your dashboard. not related to me pulling it out
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    the group n's are good enough that i cant see the engine move when i start it or rev it. but when your racecaring to work all you hear is bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz through your dashboard. not related to me pulling it out
    ha ha - i've got group N mounts and the same bbbzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz zzzzz in my dash. I can get the aluminium heatshields on the fire wall and under the handbrake to go gggggRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr over about 4500rpm too......

I'm going to try std lower mount because it's driving me ccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCrrrrrrrrraaaaaaazzzzzzzzzyyy yyyyyyyyy.....

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Im with Andrew. Standard is by far the best option unless you are competing in it...

I just bought all new mounts froms EAI.
    I stumbled across these guys in the past. Might given them a call and see what the go is in terms of pricing a whole set.

Im going to stick with the original spec too

Thanks to all who gave some suggestions. next job, can I get the new bottom bush in without taking the whole mount off the car... Might be time to make up a pressing tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicho View Post
    I stumbled across these guys in the past. Might given them a call and see what the go is in terms of pricing a whole set.

Thanks to all who gave some suggestions. next job, can I get the new bottom bush in without taking the whole mount off the car... Might be time to make up a pressing tool!
    Not in my experience. I took the bracket and mount off the block, managed to remove the mount without damaging the bracket but quickly realised that a trip to a mechanic with a press was required to fit the new mount.

Pat

Yeah Ive just had them pressed in in the past. I suppose you could put the mount in the freezer and the mount in the oven for a bit...it may go it. lol

Yeah EAI are good, but 205 parts are becoming less and less. Theres numerous hoses you can't get....etc

Caravelle just as good. Some say better. I tend to just go with what I know.

Rob at EAI has been there a while, he'll answer any of your questions.

good luck

VIP Sponsor

Just take the mount off, it is easy enough to get the driveshaft out, make sure you put a container under the gearbox to catch the oil.
    I fitted the last bush (group N) with a big vice, even if it distorts, which usually means disaster with suspension bushes, this bush is big enough to squish in there. Cut the original out with a hacksaw.
    Group N mounts are great for driving on rough roads, stop the crashing and wheel tramp as the engine bounces around etc, don't know what benefit they would have for track work. Yes, heaps of vibration.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone. Staring to get the idea that taking the whole mount off will be required. I know a quick trip to the mechanic to press the new bush in will save time and aggregation.

I read elsewhere that if you undo the bush mount first you can then get to the stage where you can withdraw the drive shaft, slip the mount off and put the shaft back in with minimal oil lost.

But part of me thinks I might as well change the diff oil while I'm at it. No idea when it was done last.

So on another note(!) what is the best diff oil to use? What are people using?

Castrol Syntrax full synthetic is my choice of oil.

Are we talking lower engine mount, then no oil will come out of the gearbox as it on the long drive shaft side.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Thanks everyone. Staring to get the idea that taking the whole mount off will be required. I know a quick trip to the mechanic to press the new bush in will save time and aggregation.

I read elsewhere that if you undo the bush mount first you can then get to the stage where you can withdraw the drive shaft, slip the mount off and put the shaft back in with minimal oil lost.

But part of me thinks I might as well change the diff oil while I'm at it. No idea when it was done last.

So on another note(!) what is the best diff oil to use? What are people using?
    There is no way you can withdraw the shaft without oil loss. You can try jacking the car up as far as you can on the right side only, but you would have to go sky-high to avoid oil coming out.

Alternatively, if you have a plug of exact size (very important - I machined one out of teflon) you can pull the shaft tail out and quickly stick the plug in. How much oil is lost depends on how quick you are. The plug however needs to be a tight fit and not damage the driveshaft seal. Come to think of it, you might as well change the mother****er. This side is the smaller seal (left and right are not identical, at least on BE1 transmissions which is what I have).

Or, you can drain about 1 liter of oil and just jack the car up normally and there will be no oil loss when you take the driveshaft out.

In other suggestions I would add you better take the two bolts holding the bearing because they have self locking nuts and are a pain in the butt to undo without proper support of the holder. You don't need to remove the bearing from the holder at this stage, just loosen the nuts far enough.

Fun and games.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information