Clear coat- Blaze 306
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clear coat- Blaze 306

The paint on my GTI is horribly fading and the clear coat is chipping off in chunks. I'm wondering what products people may have used to ensure the paint doesn't fade to dramatically?
    Cheers
    Sam

Advertisement

The only sollution is a respray in good quality 2 pac paint .If it isn/t a metallic colour it doesnt need clear coat to have a good shine .I used to use accrillic paint which is quick drying and better suited to backyard spraying and at first it would buff up beautifully ,but 5 years later after spending time in the sun it would be like your car is now

Yeah a respray would be great, but cost more than the cars worth. Just thought there might be a polish or protector that could help. Thanks for ur tips Julian. Just need to start saving for that respray now

A good cut and polish with a buffing machine may bring back a a shine to faded paint but theres no much you can do about pealing clearcoat.

I'd suggest shopping for a panelbeater who can do the car in "bites".

You'll pay more in booth fees, and slightly more in prep (overall) but if you staged the refinish work it might be more affordable. The biggest drawback is with metallics and pearls, it's impossible to get a perfect blend. Mixing the entire car worth of colour in one go, is a good compromise. First paint session would do the roof and hatch. Second the bonnet and front guards, third and fourth the doors and rear quarters (one side, then the other).

Blaze is a metallic colour IIRC, have to be careful with putting product on the paint work where the clear coat is coming off as you may make the problem worse. Which panels are affected worst? Could just be cheaper to try and source replacement ones?

Fellow Frogger!

There's no saving it once it starts. I had the clear coat on a metallic pearl Maxima start peeling and I tried a bunch of stuff but nothing slowed it or made it look any better. If you try polishing/buffing the actual metallic colour coat it just makes a mess and looks even worse, plus it's usually so wafer thin you can burn through to the primer.

If you are selling the car, penatrol can make the car look Ok for a few weeks.
    At least it takes away the chalky look.

Jo

Thread Information