S16 Caliper Pins
  • Register
  • Help

Default S16 Caliper Pins

So the other problem I have at the moment is that the left had caliper is loose. It has heaps of play in it and is growling at low speed, and making clunks every now and then when either braking or accelerating.

I've just been on servicebox and it has nothing except brake pads, and then only for bendix, girling or teves. I'm pretty sure I have lucas calipers.

If I can't find it on servicebox then I suspect I've got not much hope from Peugeot... I'm pretty sure I saw a post not that long ago by someone with an S16 who did get the pins from peugeot, but I can't find the post.

I guess I could take it into the brake shop and ask them what can be done about it.

Advertisement

Oh the joys of a 17 yo car.... It has cost me a small fortune this yea! I guess I can't complain after around 240,000 KM

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

They always cost a fortune, good luck with the part. Listening to your symptoms I'm thinking my 6 might be suffering from the same thing

A little bird just told me that girling are lucas, and a second visit to servicebox has resulted in the parts being found (at least the part number). The little bird also gave me a UK source, but I have to measure the pins to be certain. Also shipping is a killer!! 79 pounds!! I'll try peugeot first, as if I can get them for under $150 AU I will be in front... I suspect thought that they may be more

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

tryhard, it's easy enough to check, just grab hold of the caliper and see if it has any movement. mine moves quite a bit on the left one but not on the right.

I'm pretty sure the growling/rumbling is coming from the caliper, and at least some of the clunks. I've ruled out most other sources of the clunks, in that I've done the wishbone bushes, ball joints, strut tops and engine mounts. Subframe bolts could be a possibility, and I guess the other one that I don't particularly want to think about is the drive shafts (as I'm on the original set I don't really know the symptoms)... after 240,000KM it is I guess another likely candiate. I'll do the pins and if some of the clunking still persists, then likely that's (driveshafts) where the problem lies.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Yes, if you can steadily push in the caliper against its piston, then readily "slop" it back and forth on the guide pins, it's more or less OK. As mentioned elsewhere I have recently had a piston that corroded between the dust seal and piston seal - was nastily stuck.

I can loan you a UK friend to get around the 79 squid impost, should you go that direction.

Oddest front end clunk I have found was slightly-too-loose lower arms that slopped in their hole clearances under extreme load.

I'll give it a shot.

hmm, addo are you saying it *should* move? I suspect my left one is the problem one (ie the one with movement)... how to explain the movement... If I grab the caliper on either end I can move it one end in the other end out, ie it will move diagonally with respect to the plane of the disc. The right one does not have this movement (and isn't making any noises).

See attached pic for what I mean

edit: I also have a friend in the UK that I can ask to forward on to me. I'll try pricing (and availability) here in aus first though, as usually if I get him to forward anything on via post it takes 2 - 3 weeks to get here, and I want to do this before I go away shipping would come down to around 20 pounds if I go that route.

Tony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S16 Caliper Pins-caliper.png  
    Last edited by Wintermute; 27th November 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add comment on shipping.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

It shouldn't rock but slide smoothly on the pins with an even, firm resistance that yields with continued pressure.

thanks
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I picked up a set yesterday from Peugeot. There was only one set in the country, but at least only one is showing signs of a problem (I would have done both if they had two sets but I'm happy to get one). price actually worked out the same as if I had bought one set from the UK (with 20 pounds for shipping, not the 79) but two sets would work out about $30 more.

So this weekend hopefully I have a smooth installation

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Hi-I would have thought a trip to a reasonable brake shop would have shortened the drama considerably.

But I guess none know the shortest route till they have found it.

Pekay.

Now that I found that the pins weren't unobtanium here in aus then yes I suspect you are 100% correct pekay I'm just used to parts not being available for my little S16!!!

Besides it is an adventure I remember changing the caliper seals on my morrie on the side of the road in Hurstville when they blew on me (luckily at low speed!) I was a poor student at the time and couldn't afford the tow or the mechanic. The tool kit was always in the boot.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

just for the sake of it, I got some pins a long while ago (2+ years) through the local dealer. I think they were $60 or so - pretty crazy for a pair of long bolts. I've never bothered with them since, but other import parts shops might be ok.

my first option these days is Faringdon Garage in the UK - they're a dealer and give good prices on original parts. I've bought a few things through them now so I'd consider them reliable. Lucas is girling is TRW is now apparently Remsa, at least when looking for brake pads.

Well I've put in the new pins. The old ones were quite worn, but the guides that they slide in a worn as well (and they don't show as a part you can order on service box). The caliper is tighter than it was but still has play.

The noise is no better either, still clunks and grumbles. it is worst when turning left. I'm starting to suspect the CV joints Any suggestions on the best way to diagnose if it's the drive shafts that are the source of noises? I suspect I will need to take it in somewhere. any suggestions for drive shaft reconditioning places? I don't have the time to do it myself right now.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Best check is turning slowly on full lock.

Sydney Drive Shafts. Or I can hook you up with my mate near EAI, or try Carl at "Green Light Car Care" - also metres from EAI.

There are full kits, the supplier I messaged you about or Bigg Red can possibly help. From memory the kits are TRW or Budweg in origin.

Thanks addo, I didn't see the guides on the guys site, but I didn't look at what the full overhaul kit included (I thought it was seals).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information