S16 radiator options
  • Register
  • Help

Default S16 radiator options

The bleed screw on the top left of the radiator has been weeping for ages, It has now decided it won't stay put. Problem is with the radiator not the plug, it looks like the plastic has worn away.

Advertisement

Note that new raidator hoses are NOT available for the S16, and mine has the original 17 yo hoses on it.

1. I'm considering the dodgy option of just trying to epoxy the thing in. Question being whether the epoxy will stick well enough and handle the heat and pressure without blowing out.

2. I could get (maybe) a genuine new (or second hand) radiator and hope that my hoses hold up.

3. take it to a rad place and say put something custom in.

I don't really know what to do, considering I want to drive to Coffs Harbour in a few weeks a quick fix would be preferable!

any thoughts? Has anyone else dealt with the dreaded top bleed screw before??

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

"Quick fixes" never work!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

true enough! If I went with option 1, it would probably appear to be working and blow out 1/2 way to Coffs Harbour

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tony, I have to order a new radiator for Freddy (that's Reddy Freddy, the Berlingo). One of the Nissens vendors offers free airfreight (ex UK) on all radiator items after the first one. PM me if you think it (shared postage) might work for you.

thanks addo, I'll get back to you this evening
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

42mm 2 core ALUMINUM RADIATOR CITROEN XSARA ZX PEUGEOT 306 MANUAL
    I bought and fitted one of these in my s16. For the lower hose I had the outlet modified to accept a standard hose and clamp and then with the help of my local Repco store found hoses shaped to that of the standard pug hose and made up to suit. There's a piece of hose that runs along the subframe/rail that is fairly straight so I used alloy tubing to replace that and from there it was simply plug and play....

Thanks LeStig. From memory there are actually two small hoses at the bottom of the radiator (above the main outlet) one as you say that runs along the subframe, and I think the other goes along with the lower radiator hose... are there tubes for connecting these to? I can't see any on the ebay picture.

When you say you had the lower outlet modified, I take it the standard one accepts the standard S16 hose? or did you have to do it because it was different? If it takes the standard hose it is possibly my best bet for a quick fix, with the addition of being able to be modified later if I need to do the hose

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

Correct this radiator doesn't have the outlets for the two smaller hoses. I just got the correct size heater hose and replaced both pug hoses with the one in a loop. Couldn't figure out what their purpose was - some sort of preheating system perhaps but my car starts warms up and now runs perfectly at 90c..... Your original bottom hose wil be a direct fit whereas mine was not good enough to be used again and as you know replacements are not available so I went the meccano route ....

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post

1. I'm considering the dodgy option of just trying to epoxy the thing in. Question being whether the epoxy will stick well enough and handle the heat and pressure without blowing out.

Tony.
    Knead it, quicksilver and plenty of other kneadable epoxy products will laugh at he suggestion that they are not up to the task of sealing a radiator.
    There is no accounting for the integrity of the plastic tank, but I can assure you the epoxy will handle it.

I have punched two holes in my newish alloy radiator and each is repaired with 'knead it' and is totally fixed.
    I snapped a plastic over flow nipple off once, and fixed that too.
    The yacht has a below waterline hole that is filled with the stuff. How temporary does 15 years and counting sound???

How hot does a radiator get?? max 120C and the epoxy can handle peaks of 140C.

Its ability to stick is pretty much up to you and your efforts in prep-ing.

Both chemical and physical cleaning is what i'd suggest, then give it time to set.
    I always promote the reactions with heat from a blow drier or heat gun, as I'm always in a rush to get the job done, and experience tells me that some surfaces promote and others retard the chemical process, so heat it up to be sure to be sure.
    Like any job with epoxy, get it right the first time.'Failure is not an option', it is hard as nails and the last thing you want is to be picking/drilling out hard bits of cured epoxy putty.

Jo

Thanks Jo I've used the knead it steel in the past I'd actually forgotten about the product! The knead it aqua sounds like the go. The only thing I'm a bit uncertain about is what type of plastic the radiator is, but I guess I can spot test and see whether it sticks

I'm suspicious my lower hose may go the way of LeStig's at this point (it's not leaking but pulling it out could be the end of it). A quick fix to buy me some time until I work out a better solution is most attractive. I might get a Rad only to find I can't re-use my lower hose, and then I'll be stuck....

Addo has also given me another option to consider, which is to look at a TDi radiator, and adapt hoses to suit.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

One of the small hoses as you say goes back with the lower main hose, This can for sure go. number 2 are for the heater/cooler for the engine oil, at least here in Norway. This can be taken too but i recomend to change the oil cooler for an air cooled one.
    I used epoxy glue to fix my radiator almost 3 years ago. It go a big rock that smacked into the lower end and made it crack. Atfer a good cleaning and little sanding i mixed the epoxy and filled the whole area let it set for 2 days. It still looks good today. No heat was used and air temp was around -10celsius.

Thanks 306Maxi I think I will give the epoxy a go. The car has been rather expensive this year!! If I can buy another six to twelve months that will be welcome.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

So what exactly is the difference between the discontinued s16 hoses and GTi6 ones / hoses from other XU10 engines?

For what it's worth I recently fitted a Nissen's radiator to my 6 and was very impressed with the quality. I found this guide helpful when I fitted it (glad I found it before actually because I needed to buy one of the newer style lower hoses).

http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/11/...r-fitting.html

Your car looks pretty mint in your avatar photo so treat it to a shiney new ali rad :-)

That's a good question. I don't actually know! I think the 6 has a different connector on the top hose (my top hose is just push on and jubilee clip) The S16 top hose has a weird splitter as well that reduces it to two different sized pipes.

I don't know about the bottom hose, but it is the push in type. There is a second small diameter hose that goes along with the bottom one as well, and the rad has two small diameter outlets on it that that one (and another that goes back to the thermostat housing) connect to.

There are unfortunately a few things that are unique to the S16 which due to it's short production run puts it well outside the 10 year parts availability requirement.

Yes the car is in pretty good nick. Needs a wash and a polish but scrubs up pretty well

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Default S16 radiator options

The hole for the bleed plug on my GTi6 has similarly lost it's ability to hold. A cable tie through the eyelet on the plug and around the top hose has held perfectly well for 6 months so far. It hasn't leaked a drop since. Just be sure the grommet on the plug is OK.

hmmm I might have to give that a try!! I actually just got back from bunnings with the epoxy, but I like the sound of that as a solution as it is a bit less "permanent" than the epoxy! I'll have to drill a hole in the bleed screw as it doesn't have one, and I'll probably need some threebond as well as the o-ring is questionable, but I'll give it a go

thanks,

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

The best epoxy i found was Devcon.

Don't bother with generic crap, spend the extra money and get the quality Devcon.
    ebay US, about $12.00 inc , posted arrives in a week.

it bonds very aggressively.
    If it leaks you did not prepare very well and /or your radiator is pressurised.

thanks Berridale, I already bought the kneadit aqua. I think it should do the job. I drove to Carlton yesterday afternoon, I really do need to fix it. currently running unpressureised and it boiled after I stopped the car. But if I need some super expoxy in future I know were to go!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    The best epoxy i found was Devcon.

Don't bother with generic crap, spend the extra money and get the quality Devcon.
    ebay US, about $12.00 inc , posted arrives in a week.

it bonds very aggressively.
    If it leaks you did not prepare very well and /or your radiator is pressurised.
    Do they make a putty??
    Liquids are good for sealing smaller holes and cracks but for quick fix's on larger holes, the kneedable stuff is great because it requires no 'form work' to stop it running, and you can shape it with a clean wet finger and make a very neat repair.
    Jo

Devcon forms a viscous paste you can "butter" somewhat into shape. It seems different in constitution to JB Weld, which appears to be the benchmark for imitations of extended-performance epoxies.

As epoxy to radiator plastic is a mechanical bond, I believe a little more slump can be of use in making nicer contact with the prepped substrate. You can control slump a fair amount with masking tape over the top while it cures.

Thread Information