Repair or scrap? 306 GTi-6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Repair or scrap? 306 GTi-6

Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short I was driving back to Canberra from Sydney early in the morning and hit a roo at about 80km/h. Needless to say my GTi-6 didn't enjoy the collision. I've taken some photos and sent them to panel beaters in Canberra who reckon it will cost me around $3k to replace the radiator, fan, lower tie bar, and power sterring pump. Being an uninsured student I'm not sure if this it's worth saving her, even though I've spent thousands sorting her out with Maurice at PQ Automotive. She's in beautiful mechanical condition but aesthetically not the best having lived outside for the past 6 years.

The car is being towed back (with me in the truck) in about an hour.

At this point I'm almost tempted to throw in the towell, sell the engine and the chassis/suspension and buy a 205 GTi for a couple of grand on top of what I would have paid for repairs.

What would you do if it was your money?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Chris

They'd be alot of interest in parts and you'd recoup some of the costs in wrecking.

My previous car was hit by the Melbourne hail storm on Christmas then a week later it was involved in a head on collision. I had No insurance so I was left with no other option. In the end I made almost as much in part sales than it was worth complete.

Also, I'm not sure how much interest they'd be in Canberra, so posting my be a hassle. And, it's a long and lengthy process so be prepared for some dirty work.
    Last edited by moeozz; 26th November 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Tadpole

Yeah, it's just that if I do end up forking out for the work all that needs doing is the timing belt in another 10,000km, other than that the car is very tight to drive. She's only done 140,000km and should be set for at least another 50,000km once the timing belt is done.

Default Repair or scrap? 306 GTi-6

Fix the 6!

I'd fix it mate, I bought a 6 in very poor condition. To date have spent over $7000 on service, clutch, muffler, all engine mounts, 4 new tyres, bushes, the list goes in. It still needs heaps more work. But a nice 205 will be just the same. For $5k really what else can u get for that? Nothing I'd be interested in driving.

Pictures, please.

Tadpole

Repair or scrap? 306 GTi-6-car1.jpgRepair or scrap? 306 GTi-6-car2.jpg

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    I'd fix it mate, I bought a 6 in very poor condition. To date have spent over $7000 on service, clutch, muffler, all engine mounts, 4 new tyres, bushes, the list goes in. It still needs heaps more work. But a nice 205 will be just the same. For $5k really what else can u get for that? Nothing I'd be interested in driving.
    I'm the same, I hate to think what I've spent on it. I was thinking of selling the engine/shell and buying an MX-5, just for something different. I have absolutely loved every minute with the GTi-6 though, incredible grip.

Any number of clapped out 205 GTis that are not all that... vs. very few GTI6s sold, a better handling, more comfortable, more modern and more livable car. I could not go back to a 205... I would keep the GTi-6 and fix it. It's not even remotely a contest and I'll tell you more why it's not and that's because you're going to face just as many nuances in getting a 205 healthy in this day and age even if they're not body panel issues. With a 205 You'll face engine issues, engine mount issues, gearbox issues, tie rod end issues, clapped out suspension and an old and saggy body. They're just too old and you can guarantee that every one of them has been driven hard by now. That said if you wanted something more unique there is a 309 for sale on this forum at the moment.
    Last edited by orestes; 27th November 2012 at 03:22 PM.

There's someone selling one on here for cheap, grab the parts u need off it and sell the parts off that you don't. Personally I have always wanted a gti6 and waited 12 years before I got one. I think about throwing the towel in sometimes and getting an older Audi S3. But then I open the sunroof and blast the car and realised why I love it. Even with all it's problems.

Fellow Frogger!

repair
    Andrew.

C2 VT​S
    205 GTi

Easy fix, that one. Yes, it needs a pull but you could almost do it at home with suitable trees, chassis stands and a come-a-long. The tie member is a simple panel to unpick and replace.

If you do want to sell I have a mate in Canberra that might be keen.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_gti6 View Post
    I have absolutely loved every minute with the GTi-6 though, incredible grip.
    and this
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_gti6 View Post
    She's only done 140,000km and should be set for at least another 50,000km once the timing belt is done.
    tell me you should fix it.

A 140k 6 is a diamond in the rough.
    $3000 to repair it is what i'd expect
    Orestes is dead right about 205s. Once you've had steak, you don't go back to sausage meat.

Fix the GTI6 it will cost you less than the 205 in the long run.
    Don't get me wrong I love the 205s but most of them are claped out.
    Regards jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Fellow Frogger!

Correct me if Ime wrong but the parts should be able to come off any 306.......I dont think you are confined to getting the parts off a GTI6......I suspect David Cavanaugh one of the forum sponsors being a wrecker knows more about this

There are some parts that are GTi-6/XSi specific but few and I can't see any out of the list above... Even still most of what you would need would still be cheap if this were the case and by this age there is plenty of 306s in spare parts yards and they're not expensive cars to own unless someone sees you coming. It really would be a waste of a good car to scrap this one with low kilometers that has probably been treated well.

I know kangaroos can make a mess of things from experience living in Queensland, but it's really not that expensive to have a panel pulled/fixed vs. offloading the whole thing and you're going to spend more than $3k on a decent 205 anyway.
    Last edited by orestes; 27th November 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Fix it!!
    2000 306 GTi6 China Blue

1998 306 Style Dragoon Blue (Workhorse 220,000K's)

At least you know the amount of work / money required to get the 6 back into good condition and you know the history of the car. Buying a 205 will be a bit of a minefield and you could end up having to spend thousands on any 205 you do buy due to unforeseen problems etc. Plus due to the age of 205's now all sorts of parts will need to be replaced if they haven't already.

If the wheels will fit a 307HDi.....??????
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Tadpole

Thanks for all the advice guys, still leaning towards selling it though. Though the car's in great mechanical nick the paint is pretty much gone, the front seats are faded, and the wheels have some serious curb rash. In retrospect, I should have waited for a better (and more expensive) car. But I was sick of looking and couldn't wait to drive and own what I'd read so much about.

So though the car's in great mechanical condition I'd be spending $3k plus a respray (what, $5k?) on top of the probably $9k I've already spent. As a student that's serious money and GTi-6s won't be considered a classic (amongst non-Pug lovers) for quite some time. Still tempted to try and get the parts on the cheap though.

Starting again and finding an MX-5 in top condition seems to make more sense. It's not French, but there are a lot of good ones out there which have spent their whole lives only being driven on weekends. Add to that they're much cheaper to look after than a Pug. Might be time to move on and try something new...

It's ashame, the thing I have always loved about a hot hatch is its practicality. Goes like stink and if you fold down the seats it's as big as a station wagon. Mx5s are nice but I'm 195 cm tall and just won't fit comfortably in one.

But as a sports car for poke and drive ability they are meant to be great bang for your buck.

Good luck with the new car.

The MX-5 has plenty of ways to eat money, most under the guise of just a bit more performance.

One of their strong suits is the separate door compartments for thinning and offset scissors.

Is that a small jibe insinuating a mx5 is a hairdressers car?

Yes, but I have a Triumph Spitfire in the shed, so it's tongue in cheek.

Not that there's anything wrong with hairdressing, anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information