504 Engine longevity before rebuild
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Engine longevity before rebuild

Hallo people,

Own a 1.8L XM7 504 Break with solid live-axle & Bosch electronic ignition -Kenyan spec Peugeot that was assembled here in 1996.
    Have been driving it about 550kms weekly for the past 9years with no major issues; it now reads 295,000kms on the clock.
    At my last visit to the mechanic he mentioned that coz its began pouring some oil from the air cleaner and smoking from the same under hard acceleration, it could be a sign of loss of compression due to worn rings. He therefore prescribed an engine rebuild (new rings and liner kit). I've been running her on 20W50 dino oil forever-oil consumption's normal at about 500mls every 5000kms. Engine's never been opened since new. I haven't noticed any recent loss of engine power, though its difficult for me to tell, coz she's been my daily driver for so long!
    Short of doing a compression test to verify my mechanics hypothesis is there another way of verifying whether that's true? Isn't 295k kms too few kms to require an engine rebuild? I thought these engines were designed to run to atleast 500k kms before rebuild!! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Murothi

Advertisement

Maybe the quality of the metal components in the engine isn't as good on the newer models?
    1975 Peugeot 504 GL | 2018 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo

Default 504 engine longevity...

[QUOTE=Murothi;1120059]Hallo people,

Own a 1.8L XM7 504 Break with solid live-axle & Bosch electronic ignition -Kenyan spec Peugeot that was assembled here in 1996.
    Have been driving it about 550kms weekly for the past 9years with no major issues; it now reads 295,000kms on the clock.
    At my last visit to the mechanic he mentioned that coz its began pouring some oil from the air cleaner and smoking from the same under hard acceleration, it could be a sign of loss of compression due to worn rings. He therefore prescribed an engine rebuild (new rings and liner kit). I've been running her on 20W50 dino oil forever-oil consumption's normal at about 500mls every 5000kms. Engine's never been opened since new. I haven't noticed any recent loss of engine power, though its difficult for me to tell, coz she's been my daily driver for so long!
    Short of doing a compression test to verify my mechanics hypothesis is there another way of verifying whether that's true? Isn't 295k kms too few kms to require an engine rebuild? I thought these engines were designed to run to atleast 500k kms before rebuild!! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Murothi [Quote]

G'day Murothi,
    Along with most 504 owners over here let me say you've got nothing to worry about.
    500 mil oil consumption per 5000 km is nothing.
    Oil coming from air filter etc. Remove and clean the wire gauze component of your oil filler and cap. Also check the spouts on the inlet manifold, they can block up.
    With the 504 engines as long as the cooling system is in good condition they will run forever, I mean forever!
    General servicing as you seem to be doing should help too, the oil grade is suitable.

If you are still concerned get another mechanic to carry out a compression and cylinder leakage test [two different operations]. These may show some variation but with your reported low oil consumption I still say you have nothing to worry about.

Keep in contact with Aussie Frogs.

Yours,
    Wildebeest.

Default 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Murothi View Post
    Hallo people,

Thanks
    Murothi
    See if you can find out how many Kms they are getting out of the 504 Taxis in Cairo.

My 2.0L 504 Ti had new piston & liner kit at about the same Kms as yours has done now 290K km. Two of the pitons had cracks in their skirts! Probably would have gone another 100K km though might have been towed home too. Depends on how much longer you intend keeping the car.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Murothi View Post

its began pouring some oil from the air cleaner and smoking from the same under hard acceleration, it could be a sign of loss of compression due to worn rings.
    It depends on what kind of air cleaner you have. If it is an "oil bath" air cleaner, oil coming out of it simply means that someone has put too much oil in it. If it is a "paper element" type cleaner, then oil going into that means that oil is being forced out of the crankcase and up one of the rubber hoses which connect on to it.
    Or it could be because you are getting "blow-by" because of worn out rings....but probably not.

Many 504 engines will require that the cylinder head be reconditioned at (or before) 295Ks, but usually only because people have not kept corrosion inhibitor in the cooling system. But the rings will not wear out by then.
    The smoke coming out under hard acceleration (or revving) may be coming from somewhere else. Like from oil which has leaked from the tappet cover, then gone on to the exhaust manifold.
    My advice is to take it to another mechanic. Preferably one who knows 504s very well.

A compression test is easy to do.
    Last edited by Beano; 22nd November 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Could also be that the smoke under acceleration is becuase oil is spilling from the aircleaner into the air inlet and then burning. Empty the air cleaner of oil and then see what happens.
    Good luck, it has only just been run in!

Have you ever had the head serviced?
    You may be getting blow-through via the valve stems and at this milage the seals are ready for a freshen up.......

I would have thought a well looked after motor would do 400k + k's.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Even my XU9J2 went 366,000 km before having a problem (head gasket). So a 504 engine should be easily good for a lot more.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thread Information