Whats the best variant 205 gti?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cav91

Thread: Whats the best variant 205 gti?

Default Whats the best variant 205 gti?

Just wondering on peoples thought on which is the best variant 205 gti? I have done a search in the search facility but nothing of note showed up.

Advertisement

A brand new one or whatever you can afford.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Is there a big difference with the earlier ones that have rear drum brakes. I have only owned and driven a later model with disk brakes all round.

Yes, the difference is they have drum brakes.

What do you expect? Rear brakes are mainly there for the ride. I don't know how well the handbrake works with a rear disc. Experience with other cars tells me it can be good and it can be bad. For normal braking on the road I don't think there is any difference as the front wheels do most of the braking and for a light car like the 205 the rear wheels will unload pretty quickly rendering the rear brakes inexistent (if your brake limiter works).

Most people here (who actually use the rear brakes) use them in competitions and I have seen comments that drum brakes are better when doing handbrake turns. I can testify to the same coming from driving in snow, but have no competition experience.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I have never owned a 205, but I've heard that the late ones with power steering make a big difference.
    lachlanjacob likes this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

VIP Sponsor

I've found the drums to be useless in rallies, OK for sprints.
    They fade away to nothing and after 50km or so the pedal is heading towards the floor due to lining wear.
    I've now got 306 rear discs on mine and handbrake seems quite good, different to the 205 calipers I guess.
    Power steering is well worthwhile although the non assisted is OK for cruising around as it does give a nice positive feel in the straight ahead.
    I prefer the interior of the series 1, has a lot of character, but almost impossible to find one with a dash in good condition.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Yes, the difference is they have drum brakes.

What do you expect? Rear brakes are mainly there for the ride. I don't know how well the handbrake works with a rear disc. Experience with other cars tells me it can be good and it can be bad. For normal braking on the road I don't think there is any difference as the front wheels do most of the braking and for a light car like the 205 the rear wheels will unload pretty quickly rendering the rear brakes inexistent (if your brake limiter works).

Most people here (who actually use the rear brakes) use them in competitions and I have seen comments that drum brakes are better when doing handbrake turns. I can testify to the same coming from driving in snow, but have no competition experience.

Fellow Frogger!

All this information is off of the top of my head so may not be 100% accurate:

I would have thought the 1994 205 GTI Classic would be the best as it was a limited release and the last ones sold in Australia.

After that I would say the 1991 - 1994 S3 as they have the 90kW JAZ engine with 15" wheels, power steering, half leather & 4-wheel disc brakes.

Then the 1989 - 1991 S2 as they had the updated interior which I preferred. However, that is clearly a matter of opinion as Graham points out above that he preferred the interior of the S1 cars.

Lastly the S1 cars with 75kW engine, cloth interior, 14" pepper pot wheels and rear drum brakes.

Then you will have rare variations like Dimma 205 GTI or 205 T16 (but this isn't a GTI and I don't think one has ever made it to Australia).
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Yes very consice and clear in your analysis, I personaly prefer the red carpeted later variants, in the order of Miami Blue, white, and red. Im not a big fan of the sorrento green colour with green carpets or the grey carpeted, full leather interior of the Classic. Personal preference though for sure. Condition of the car is all important as well.

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, horses for courses I think. My perfect GTI would be an early concours silver S1 1.6, 115hp no-cat, French spec, yellow lights, black euro plates etc but somehow RHD. Or maybe an immaculate genuine 1.3 Rallye or an ultimate 80s black turbo Dimma. Then again, how about a white late S3, black trim, red carpet, dark tint, full suspension, 434s, hardcore rubber, GTI6 conversion, LSD, half cage, track seats and harnesses....

C'mon Powerball.

with age every 205 gti is different, because of the people and the way they drive them. i really dont see the point of ABS and power steering on a 205 you wouldnt get the real feeling of a 205. but and S2 would be the one id go for IMO because you get the later dash and the earlyer handeling. (best of both worlds) the only thing a 205 gti needs is a little more grunt. peugeot got the suspension perfect, no need to screw with it.IMO.

The best 205 is the one you own and love..... I'd love a series 3 but I'm perfectly happy with two 89 205s....

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

A red one!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Clearly the mighty 205 Si wins hands down!
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Both my Dimma's !!
    Well I say that in advance as I havent driven the new one yet, arrives Friday
    But I am as happy as a dog with two d#cks.
    I just love the Dimma shape over the standard Gti, but I know many think they look fugly.
    As DjB8V said, the one you own and love, and I'm a real newbie to these
    Cheers
    Keith
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

Boils down to preference.

I prefer a late S2 - 15 inch Speedlines and no PAS.

That said, people do prefer the S3 car, purely on asthetics.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

You could buy one at a time, drive it and then sell it, and try all of the series as each one has its unique character like fading paint and clearcoat on the later ones seems to be common, low km cars more often the imported ones, all have lousy plastics, all countries had their "limited edition" editions with fancy badging or a bit of or extra perishables added or removed.

The best one is the one you put your time into, it may rattle like crazy, have a few nicks here and there but when your in the zone you know why its worth keeping her maintained.

There is no ONE to have, they are all great.

Mine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whats the best variant 205 gti?-img_1144.jpg  
    Last edited by pug-life; 18th December 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Tadpole

1991 Lazer Green 1.9 phase 2 , with goodwood alloys would be my favorite .Nearly bought one before but the deal fell through
    All 205 gtis are cracking cars.Love them to bits.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Mine!
    No, mine Julz!!Whats the best variant 205 gti?-img_3132.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jezwillow View Post
    No, mine Julz!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3132.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	37864
    Hahah shes looking great Jez!

Put me down for those foggys in your will for me...you know ill love em like my own!

Tough as nails! love it

S3 of course !! Better brakes, better wheels, better dash, better interior, better engine.....just better

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information