307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007

Help, Help. In the process of changing the Manual Transmission oil. Found a drain plug in a very tight place behind the bell housing and just above the crossmember. Is this it? What size is the square recess on the plug? I will have to makeup a tool to fit into the space available. Also, cant see anywhere to fill it. There is a breather on top and near it, towards the front is a round headed plug about 15-20mm diameter. Is this it and can i prise it out? I no why they say filled for life now. The Haymes w/shop manual has not been much help. To many variations. Any productive comments appreciated.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default 307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007

Productive?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger!

307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007-307-6spd-1.jpg307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007-307-6spd-2.jpg

- Drain on level ground
    - Fill, via breather opening, with either 2.6L (if your g'box has no fins) or 1.9L (if there are fins.)

The square recess in the plug may be 8mm or 10mm.. I'm not sure on that.

Cheers
    spiz

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default 307 hdi 6 speed manual. 2007

Make it easier (and less messy) remove bottom engine mount to allow engine to rotate forwards...a bit....watch the radiator though...
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thanks everyone. The positive news I wanted to get. And it has fins.

All went well. The plug is 8mm square and I cut a length 20mm long to fit into the space available. Used a shifter to loosen with a piece of u shaped carboard as a gutter to direct it away from the x member. Filled through the breather by lifting the cap off and used a funnel and a 400mm hose. You could get enough access by just removing the airbox only without the Battery and tray. Dont remove the wheel arch skin as the Haynes manual suggests. The oil that came out looked like treacle colored and measured 2.3lt. Very little collected on the magnetic plug which was good to find. Used 2.4 lts of Nulon Full Synthetic 75-80 Smooth Shift Transmission oil. I felt a difference as soon as I drove it, with easier shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Not that it was bad before, but it feels easier to change. So overall for all the Peugeot Manual drivers, Filled for life doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the practical advice on this. I will give this a go myself this weekend. I too found that removing the wheel arch lining is useless for this model (I looked while I had the moulding off when I was exploring the innards of the car) so won't be bothering with that. The Haynes manual though did suggest removing the airbox and battery cover for access to the filler and I was going to suggest this to you... I threw the battery cover, engine cover and washer fluid cover away as soon as I bought the car!!

As for Nulon oils... I wouldn't use them in my lawnmower!! It's a perception thing for me from the past 20 years which I can't shake.

I too was a bit sceptical about nulon. Me being a bit old school remember the test for the oil additive. Running an engine without oil. They have moved on a bit since those days. Have a look at their website and a bit of googling only found positive info.
    http://www.nulon.com.au/

Thread Information