208 opinions (and minor rant)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 208 opinions (and minor rant)

I checked out the 208 today. While I loved the style, and the interior, I have come to realise that Peugeot seems to not know what people want. Bear with me on this...

OK so if I want the 208 with the 1.6 turbo engine (currently the most powerful, engine), then I am stuck with the 3dr manual model. If I want a 5dr model with this engine I am out of luck. The auto doesnt come with this engine either. My wife can only drive auto which means that theres no way this car will even be on my shopping list for a small family car. Lets face it, Mini are using pretty much the same engine in their cars and they can fit a 6 speed auto into it. The success of the 5dr Golf Gti shows that people want a bit more performance in their 5 dr cars, and they often want an auto. (the new renault Clio sport is a 5dr auto DSG)

Next prob, If I do choose the non turbo with an auto, then I get a 4 speed auto. Surely we arent looking at 4sp autos as a serious gearbox now days. I think they first came out in the late 80s. Car makers are getting on board with 8 speed autos, Peugeot should lift its game here. Even Hyundai is using 6 speed autos.

Advertisement

The 208 has a very cool centre console. It is a touch screen that does the trip computer and music. I asked the sales guy can I get sat nav on that screen? He said that its not an option ,and he wasnt sure if it was going to happen in future. This seems like a pretty big oversight, especially as it is perfect for the job. This should have been sorted before it was released!

The best performing model (3dr turbo manual) is a lovely little car, and ticks the right boxes for a lot of people. But let face it, any one that has a slight interest in Pugs would know that the Gti arrives next year, and would probably wait for that. Doesnt that render the current top of the line car a bit redundant?

In short, I think that Peugeot should have a really good look at its product development, and release cars that people will really want. Some of the suggestions that I have above ( proper auto, turbo engine in 5 dr, sat nav etc) would take little to develop, and would open Peugeot up to much larger markets. I think they have really missed an opportunity here.

For what its worth though, I loved the 3 dr, and would buy one tomorrow if it was an option. It was VERY cool and would find a place in my garage.

I agree 3dr is the pick and my wife won't drive an auto.
    Two kids makes the 3dr awkward.
    So until a 5dr turbo manual comes out we'll sit on the fence.
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

Default 208 opinions (and minor rant)

I suspect the French still regard autos a bit like they do Vegetarians.

As a 6 footer, buggered if I can get a comfortable driving position and see the instruments - the car cannot be considered as a result. Shame as being lighter, much better looking that the outgoing model and nicely finished, the GTi looked promising.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

I only have a few things to add:

The "full" range is not here. As per previous models, more variants should arrive at the pricey end of the scale. Unfortunately, I don't think you should hold your breath for a 5 dr version with a THP engine, however, as they don't even offer this variant in the UK. Perhaps we may see one of the new 1.2 turbos but perhaps not.

PSA's "small" 6 sp auto (AT6) is probably not small enough to fit in the 208. Alas, that means the venerable 4 sp auto is all we get. I agree that it's a poor offering. As PSA only has automated manuals and no DSG, it's not looking good. They were planning on developing a DSG, but that was canned, AFAIK. Personally I'm not a fan of DSG or automated manuals. I consider them both to be autos and I hate autos, except on large cars. Like Trixie said, I think the French share that opinion.

Whilst the MINI Countryman may be considered a small family car, I don't think the rest of their range is in that category - it's way too small. In that version (the only 5 door model), only the diesel is available with a 6 sp auto. Being MINI, however, you'd probably be able to pay for an auto (for $2,500 extra) to be mated to a petrol model. They don't seem to mind options, unlike Peugeot! I'd also be careful comparing a 208 with a Golf. They are totally different markets.

Built in Sat Nav is not popular here in Oz, whereas it seems to be a point of difference on cars in the UK, for example. You'll find it readily available on high end UK 208s. I realise it's a bit of a self-fullfilling prophecy when it's not available as an option, but the only thing that needs "sorting out before release" is the Australian importer.

On that note, it's only the Australian importer that doesn't like diesel versions of the 208, for example.

I think the local boss has some odd ideas, but that's just my opinion. It may help in the future if we communicate our issues with the current range to dealers, but who knows?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, I can't believe the range either, but not just the 208.

No Diesel on 208.
    If you want the (very economical for a petrol) 1.2 engine you can't have any trim level except the poverty pack.
    I didn't know there was no sat nav, I saw one when my car was being serviced on Friday and just assumed with that huge screen, there would be sat nav. (It's standard on middle and top models of hyundai i30, for heavens sake.)

I am very happy with the 307 but would not buy any of the current range - 207, 208 or 308 due to a combination of overly fussy styling (improved on 308 facelift admittedly), and inability to get a spec level I am happy with.
    We are shopping for a car for my partner at present, most likely candidates are Hyun i30 or Skoda fabia wagon. Neither are perfect either, and they are very different cars with very different pluses and minuses, but they are way closer to what we are chasing than anything we can get from Cit or Pug or Ren which is a shame.
    The big surprise is the i30. While it is to my eye ugly and over decorated, it is a very good car to drive and very well equipped. Windows are way too small, but that applies to just about everything else in the class too. When will this fad for small windows be over???!!! When I look over my shoulder, I want to see outside, not roof lining. Every car designer should drive a Triumph 2000 or an Austin 1800 to see what good vision is all about.

Rant over, I'm off to have a sedative.

Fellow Frogger!

"Surely we arent looking at 4sp autos as a serious gearbox now days. I think they first came out in the late 80s." My father's '68 250SEC Mercedes had a 4 speed auto. Used to start normally in second, but used first if you were more serious.

Yup, and it's no wonder Peugeot is in such deep trouble. They've never understood any of the export markets, ever!
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Some interesting responses.

SLC 206- thanks for the response. as you realise I am not a "hater" and I really want to see Pug sell more cars, thats why I shake my head when I see the model line up.

I had a look at Minis gearbox options again. According to wheels magazine the 6 speed auto is available across the range. Thats every model in the range. You are probably right about the cost though. I agree that the 208 isnt comparable with the Golf, I just wanted to point out that people are buying 5drs with autos, and expect higher performance. Polo would have been a much better comparison, and they provide 5 dr DSG autos.

I am also a bit wary of DSG gearboxes as well. I have driven one and liked it a lot, however I have heard horror stories of them needing massive work right after the warranty runs out.
    Last edited by KK Puggy; 19th November 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KK Puggy View Post
    would know that the Gti arrives next year, and would probably wait for that.
    Not only that, but with the RCZ-R out of the bag, who is wondering when that engine is going to arrive in an uprated GTi?

Fellow Frogger!

Buy a dsg 5 door polo

One of the best cars I have ever had ( and I have had about 80)
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting how most of you have covered how I and many others feel about this car, around 8 weeks ago I saw a 208 on the back of a truck and followed it to the dealership and had a look, my 2006 GTi 180 is still a better car. As for the non GPS massive fruition screen it has, we'll on aldi express you can buy one for a 206 that does GPS, DVD, stereo controls the works.....there won't be a 208 in my garage, and I'd waited months and months just to see one ;(
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

To be fair to Peugeot, Peugeot Australia is prolly the culprit here, not bring in the combinations we want. I recently had this issue with other manufacturers. I was looking at a new Honda Civic hatch but the spec levels they bring to Australia are terrible. Of the 6 levels available in the UK, we get 2. And they are both crap.
    The 208 is another case. There is about 6 different engines and 3 or 5 door in 3 different spec levels. That make a huge number of combinations. Too many to be able to offer the lot. What the end up settling on to bring to Oz is a mix which is not what people want.
    They will never get it right, but my pet peeve with this is when Honda, for example, bring in a "sport" model with auto trans only??!!?? WTF???
    If it has any sporty leanings it should be a manual.
    Other reasons for the 4 speed auto are weight and money savings. Also, they figure the base model auto is for 'er indoors to do the shopping in. She wouldn't know the difference between 4 a 6 speed and it would make no difference to her. It's an auto ffs - it just sits there and goes "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Peugeot's head office is the culprit in all likelihood. The North American dealers were squealing for all sorts of things that the parent company chose not to offer, and as I wrote above, they always seemed to get it wrong with what they did offer. And they've been gone for 21 years.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Fellow Frogger!

Is it perhaps that the higher ratios are a bit unuseable? My son in the UK is currently driving a Pug company car and told me yesterday that 6th is only much good at 80mph plus as it is almost always off the power band,
    As an engineer (design) he has also studied the gear set, and to fit them in the casing the gears are getting very thin. They are thinner than used in the motor bikes he designs which have way less weight to deal with, therefore less load.
    Simca 1100, in regard the small windows, large pillars, a lot of this is mandated by crash rules for roll over. And how often do cars roll now????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    Peugeot's head office is the culprit in all likelihood.
    In this case, the UK market has access to a few HDi models in the 208 range. I think it's a local management issue on that score. While some here want one, I don't think the 207 diesel was a very strong seller locally - other than the 207 wagon, perhaps.

There is no 5 door version of the 208 with the THP engine in any market though, as far as I can tell, so that's a head office decision.
    Last edited by SLC206; 25th November 2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information