Peugeot 407 SW esp problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 407 SW esp problem

Hi all,
    My mother owns a 2007 Peugeot 407 SW HDI Executive and whilst she loves the car, there is one problem.
    When my mother had had the car for 6 months, an esp/asr fault occured and she restarted the car and all was fine. Now over a year later, almost between every 5-10 starts there is at least one of these same "faults". Getting sick and tired of the same recurring fault, she informed while her car was being serviced at the Peugeot registered dealer (one of two in Tasmania where her car has a 3 year warranty) that she had had this esp fault. They used the Peugeot scan tool (lexia i believe) and found no faults apparently as it resets every time the car is restarted and they refused to investigate an "invisible" fault. I suggested she take it to them next time she was nearby the dealership and it occurred however I was informed that they can't look at a car without a booking (the dealer is 3 hours away). So it seems we are stuck with this annoying issue unless the car is at the dealer when the issue happens. The esp works fine so I suspect a sensor. Any ideas as to a course of action seeing as the dealer is hopeless? Its a good car apart from this niggle.
    Thanks
    Callum

Advertisement

Normally removing the 4 wheel speed sensors and cleaning them is the solution to this problem.
    The sensors are magnetic and over time collect brake dust and fine metal particles.

Its a bit poor the the dealer could not do some basic checks like this.
    It seems there's more and more mechanics that can't do anything without a computer telling them.
    They should learn to use a multimeter and a oscilloscope and work it out for themselves. To shame.

Cheers for the hint; have one to do myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    They should learn to use a multimeter and a oscilloscope and work it out for themselves. To shame.
    How do you check them with a multimeter. I have the esp fault. I have cleaned all the sensors to no avail. I am about to buy replacements off ebay. If I can check them individually before I get new ones that would be a bonus. Sadly I don't have an oscilloscope

Shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Tadpole

Oh ok, I have never heard of the speed sensors, just ESP under the seat being the root of the problem,
    How does one find the speed sensor to clean it?

Quote Originally Posted by C5TAS1994 View Post
    Oh ok, I have never heard of the speed sensors, just ESP under the seat being the root of the problem,
    How does one find the speed sensor to clean it?
    The speed sensors are the same used for ABS. Each wheel assemby will have a set of teeth that a sensor mounted nearby counts.

This page explains it a little.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Actually the sensors on the wheel hubs are not magnetic pulse but are hall effect. They have a little chip in them than needs 5 volts to operate. 407 wagons are having peculiar faults like that in the rear wheel sensors. A fault should be stored somewhere in the on board ecu's. A Global Test runs through the entire vehicle control units where a fault should be stored somewhere. Sometimes it's in the abs or engine. And , you guessed it, do one on the rear and the other will play up within 7 days. For some reason, maybe voltage drop, the fronts don't seem to give trouble. One vehicle recently was crook from wheel bearing float and the sensor then picks up a strong/weak signal. The ABS ecu supplies the 5 volts, reads the data and via VAN or CAN chats to every thing else. Disturbing these sensors is a bad idea as not only are they a pig to get to, but are very delicate with a bit of age on them.
    Another issue can be the tyre pressure senders if the pressures are not within cooee of each other when cold.
    Just what I've learnt!

I've done some more research on these speed sensors as I'm only familiar with the older type sensor.

The sensor has only 2 pins so I think that it communicants though simple pulses for speed which should be easily read on an oscilloscope and maybe on a multimeter, but power would need to be supplied to the sensor. (maybe someone knows the correct testing procedure, but simple experimentation will yield the answer)
    The problem is the the sensor has a single cable running all the back to the computer (or nearby, I'm not sure where it plugs in) and there are no plugs in between.

Also the encoding wheel is magnetic and vary easily damaged (apparently even removing the wheel sensor can damage it) and is sensitive to dirt, so this could be the cause of your problem.

I feel like this isn't an improvement on the old design...

Thread Information