306 coolant loss..?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 coolant loss..?

306 16 valver has dumped its coolant dramatically. No temp warning. Car driven a short distance to home.
    Will not hold water, just gushes out from the water pump which is very noisey.
    Car will start OK. No missfire or indication of cam belt slipping. Cam belt inspection thru the cover shows it running over to one side of pulley.
    Intention at this stage to replace pump, belt, tensioner etc. Ideas of the probable cost of this work appreciated?

Thanks,
    'beest.

Advertisement

gibgib,
    Could you please transfer my thread *1. 306 Coolant Loss over to the Technical thread?

Thanks,
    Wildebeest.

Everyone has been very forthcoming I see!

I've no idea but why don't you ring Corrado and ask him? I'd presume parts are under $200 (these water pumps are pretty simple devices) and I'd want to replace all idlers etc.

Best of luck.

The new 3 cylinder 100 bhp/litre Renault engines have gone back to timing chains for improved energy efficiency. Excellent devices, which avoid so many expensive problems...

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

[QUOTE=JohnW;1119550]Everyone has been very forthcoming I see!

I've no idea but why don't you ring Corrado and ask him? I'd presume parts are under $200 (these water pumps are pretty simple devices) and I'd want to replace all idlers etc.

Best of luck.
    Cheers

Oh. Yes Johnno, absolutely swamped with replies, I'm thinking a change of Avatar and name may be due eh?

The 306 request was made on behalf of the young owners father. No Two son, even after weighing up the possible cost of repair against scrapping is still prepared to have it fixed.
    Neither the father or self are prepared to go where only the brave dare! We are both happy to dabble with our 504's but have drawn the line here.
    Oh, Corrado it seems is booked up. We've both warned the young bloke about having the work done by just anyone.

Yes, chains, chains, lovely chains and immersed in oil too I see. A chance that our favourite manufacturers will revert to cast iron blocks and find a good auto trans designer, something as long lasting as my old BW 35.
    Also find something better than the "Plip" type immobiliser keys. Who do they immobilise? The owner that's who!

The new 3 cylinder 100 bhp/litre Renault engines have gone back to timing chains for improved energy efficiency. Excellent devices, which avoid so many expensive problems...

Fellow Frogger!

I had this done - timing belt, all tensioners,water pump and aux belt by a mobile mechanic in my driveway for $300.00. I had all the parts so this was only the labour charge. I purchased the parts from a fellow frogger along with spares and parts from a car he had stripped so I got a great deal.

Replace the harmonic balancer as well. It's used to accurately time up the car. Parts will probably exceed $400 if purchased locally.

The half-off cambelt is your clue; the water pump bearings have failed. Be advised there are two timing belt and roller sets for the 16V motors, from memory 130 teeth and 134 teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Replace the harmonic balancer as well. It's used to accurately time up the car. Parts will probably exceed $400 if purchased locally.

The half-off cambelt is your clue; the water pump bearings have failed. Be advised there are two timing belt and roller sets for the 16V motors, from memory 130 teeth and 134 teeth.
    That is good advice.

There is a good place in Leederville - I think it is where the old "Legion Autos" used to be. Comes well recommended. I'll try and find details.

The job is bog standard but I'd not be game to tackle it either.

More to follow.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default 306 coolant loss..?

There are some decent DIY instructions for this job on 306gti6.com if you're game; Forums:FAQ:FAQ Index:Cambelt DIY change FAQ. http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthr...d=40662&page=1

The belts are either 136 or 137 teeth. I used a 136 on my GTi6.
    As suggested, a new harmonic balancer is the way to go to ensure correct timing.

Chains, schmainz.

Peugeot has done the full circle from chains to belts, back to chains and now back to a belt running in an oil bath.

Where will it end?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Many thanks to all for advice.
    The No2 sons family are appreciative also. So much so that they will shout you a Crown Lager when you come by.

Thread Information