New Aussiefrogger
  • Register
  • Help
    JJW
    Tadpole

Default New Aussiefrogger

Just a short introduction.......

Advertisement

I have been watching in the background for a while but thought it high time I introduced myself. I am ex UK and owned a couple of 1.6 205 gti`s when I was a boy (1997ish) back in Scotland. total ownership of both would not have been any longer than 3 years, however the 205 bug never really went away and I always planned on another.....

Fast forward to the beginning of 2012 when I was a little drunk on a work night out I noticed a little grey 205 pull up outside the pub. I spoke with the owner and told him I wanted to buy it and here we are.

My little pug is not without issues and I recon I paid top dollar for it, but hey there are not may around that are original and in good condition. From the records I have it has been in WA since around 2006 after being brought over from Victoria. Does anyone on here recognise it??

I am going over all the little issues that I plan to fix i.e. gear linkages, some seat stitching, ignition overhaul but one thing has got me a little stumped. I recently replaced all the oil and coolant hoses with Baker BM red silicone hoses at considerable expense. A couple of the oil hoses (vapor and main filler) keep looking like they are sweating? and have turned a brown colour. this is strange because the colour is fine under the clamps? any ideas?

PS the engine does get a little hot and has a slight smell of sweet burning oil........it is also down on power but I think this is purly ignition
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Aussiefrogger-img_6631.jpg   New Aussiefrogger-img_6621.jpg   New Aussiefrogger-img_6636.jpg  

Welcome! There's nowhere near enough WA 205 gti owners on here! Not that there would be many who weren't...

She looks like a very nice 'un. Series 3? What year is it? It looks like the sort of thing I'd like to make an offer on even when I happen to be sober.

Sorry I can't help, I'm only a budding enthusiast. You need to meet Gerry (Gezza). He lives out Bunbury way and has owned somewhere in the teens of these.

Regards,
    Michael.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Fellow Frogger!

Car looks absolutely fantastic and obviously very well cared for. Congrats on finding such a nice example.

Bit concerned about the breather kit issue. Was just about to order the coolant/oil sets this week myself. Is there any oil smear on the outside of the discoloured pipes?

JJW
    Tadpole

Just sitting going through some searches on google and it would appear that some silicone hoses sweat oil......this is exactly what mine are doing, the main oil hoses have an oily film on them. This kit is supposed to be lined to prevent this happening.

I would not bother so much but I got the red ones because it goes well with the dark grey car and they have went brown! plus they were not cheep......

Anyway I have emailed Stuart at Baker BM in the UK and will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Fellow Frogger!

From one new frogged to another, welcome!

Great looking car. Nice and tidy for sure.

Are the rims polished, or painted. They certainly look the part.

Good luck sorting out the hose issue, afraid I'm no help this early on!

JJW
    Tadpole

Sorry forgot to add its a late 1991.

The rims are polished, not very original i know but I think it looks good all the same.

I am now trying to work out how to get my hands on my ultimate dream either a miami blue or nice laser green 205 and get it into Australia...........

Might be oil vapour escaping from the engine. Mine do that too (blue here). Turned a bit darker too, but I put that down to the heat they are exposed to under the bonnet.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yew! Looks like a fantastic example JJW!

Look forward to a few more snaps.

Julian

Very very nice!!

Looks like and I have forgot his name now (Luca will know) old car he now has a gti6 and a 207 gti...

Welcome to the forum

Welcome! Looks a nice example, interior looks mint. You generally get what you pay for with these so I wouldnt worry about paying top dollar. Good luck sorting the niggles.
    2000 GTI6

Dont worry about the price. A 205 in that condition is surely one of the cheapest classic cars you could own. My car owes me about $20K and it sits around most of the time!
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

JJW
    Tadpole

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!!

Not too worried by the price I paid for it to be honest as I don't ever plan on selling it.

It now sits under a cover in my garage. One of the biggest issues with the car is the lack of power but as I said I am in the process of changing out all the ignition parts. I think it is down to shot ignition leads but we will see when they arrive from the UK.

I will be buying most of my parts from the UK and would be more than happy to assist should any of you wish to save on postage. I have family still over there that can hold parts until we are ready to send in bulk!

Just a thought for fellow WA dwellers.........

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to the forum and the car looks like a good find in top condition.

The interior looks great and I want those mats! Any idea where they came from (perhaps you have a receipt somewhere)?
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Those mats are advertised on eBay UK - just search 'Peugeot 205 GTI mats'. Of course, the freight to get them here is more than the original purchase cost....

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JJW View Post
    Anyway I have emailed Stuart at Baker BM in the UK and will keep you all posted on the outcome.
    Sorry to hassle but has there been any word back from BakerBM yet?

JJW
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 88lp View Post
    Sorry to hassle but has there been any word back from BakerBM yet?
    Nothing back yet! I might fire off another email to him today and see what response I get.

I will let you know how I go

Quote Originally Posted by JJW View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys!!!!

Not too worried by the price I paid for it to be honest as I don't ever plan on selling it.

It now sits under a cover in my garage. One of the biggest issues with the car is the lack of power but as I said I am in the process of changing out all the ignition parts. I think it is down to shot ignition leads but we will see when they arrive from the UK.

I will be buying most of my parts from the UK and would be more than happy to assist should any of you wish to save on postage. I have family still over there that can hold parts until we are ready to send in bulk!

Just a thought for fellow WA dwellers.........

Or you could go to your local friendly car part store and ask for some ignition leads of similar lengths. Swap the plug boots and you're set. If I knew you needed them I would have offered you a complete original set in good condition for the price of postage.

I made the same mistake, spent money on Lumenition leads and they corroded and broke the tabs at the dizzy end leading to a heap of trouble. Went and bought some champion 8mm leads from Repco (that's what they offered) for about 6-7 bucks each and swapped the boots over and car is happy again.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

JJW
    Tadpole

Just a quick update on the Baker hose issues I have had. Basically all of the new red oil hoses were turning brown and sweating. Stuart at BackerBBM did not understand why this was happening however sent me a complete new oil hose kit as a replacement, top man!!!!!

I purchased his gear link rods and brass bushes to improve on the gear change also.

As with my original post I think my 205 lacks power but can't be sure. I think it's running lean and hot I have replaced the full ignition system except module. It would be worth mentioning that It does not overheat too much according to the dash gauge but there is also a slight smell of burning oil ( no real oil leak seen?)

Is there any fellow 205 owners in WA that would not mind taking a drive and giving me their opinion?

The car is in bits at the moment as I am replacing the full front suspension, but when it back together I would appreciate another opinion.

I will drive it for ya, I go to cockburn all the time for the ice rink so could meet up whent he car is ready :-)

JJW welcome to WA and to the local 205 scene !
    I'm new to all this myself but I also have a full 15 hose set to fit to the project car so I'd be interested to see how you go with the probs.
    If you can make the Inaugural meeting of "French and Fantastic " the new local french car club I'm sure you would meet many like minded and informative souls.
    Its monday next , more info elsewhere.
    Cheers
    Keith
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    I will drive it for ya, I go to cockburn all the time for the ice rink so could meet up whent he car is ready :-)
    Gerry is the one to sort you out JJW.
    Mr 205 WA !!!
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

JJW
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Gezza, that would be magic!! I guess with the amount 205s you have owned you would be the best person to have an opinion from.

Anyway I think it will be well into March befor it is back together as I have puty a new seal kit in the power steering rack and need to find somewhere that can punch the top of the rack to stop the seals popping off under pressure.

I will be sure to contact you when we are running again!

Also if it works out easier I can come to Bunbury.......

Cheers,

John

JJW
    Tadpole

Keith,

I cant make the meeting but would be interested to know what progress was made and the numbers?

welcome mate!!!

I'll have to pull up outside the pub to buy another one I reckon!!

Thread Information