whine.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: whine.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 whine.

Froggers,my 406hdi has a whine in motor from 1500-1800rpm. I have replaced belts to no avail.advice wellcom Thanks Tomfrog. PS.Car ks 170000 AUTO AL4 No problems with box.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it's not the turbo you can hear spooling up is it ??
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

pugambo, quite possible as whine is inturbo range. any damage likely do you think? thanks Tomfrog.

Fellow Frogger!

Also a possibility is one of the belt driven ancillaries such as the alternator or compressor. Assume power steering is electric? Or even an idler pulley bearing associated with any of these.

Cheers,
    K

Fellow Frogger!

Froggers. having no luck with turbo info,I thinking about belt pulleys etc .Noise has been in motor for over80000ks since last timing belt change so it cant be too bad. Thanks TOMFROG

Yes, it's probably a pulley. See if you can de-tension the belt and spin them to feel the bearings for wear.
    And/or....Get a piece of hollow plastic pipe and use it as a stethoscope to find exactly where the noise is coming from. Just be VERY careful putting it in there next to rapidly moving parts, as a friend revs the motor. Better still, get a mechanic to do it. They're used to doing this sort of thing.
    Have a listen first without the stethoscope, and once you get the exact frequency established in your mind, it will be obvious when the end of the stethoscope comes near the cause.

Or if your timing belt is too tight, they tend to scream as they don't mesh perfectly in the cam wheels. In other words, a little too much stretch in the belt will change the pitch between the timing teeth. Low probability, but I've seen it in other belt driven overhead cam engines. If it arrived at about the same time as your last timing belt change, maybe worth a quick check.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Or if your timing belt is too tight, they tend to scream as they don't mesh perfectly in the cam wheels. In other words, a little too much stretch in the belt will change the pitch between the timing teeth. Low probability, but I've seen it in other belt driven overhead cam engines. If it arrived at about the same time as your last timing belt change, maybe worth a quick check.
    That was my first thought, make sure the belts not to tight.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Try dropping your accesory belt off and give it a run ,see if the noise has gone, then go from there ,at least then you will know its not the cam belt ,just did the same with our 405 srdt ,noise was gone with no belt, so replaced front bearing in alternator and idler bearing on air con pump[fortunately was able to borrow pullers etc from a air con mate ]bearing was $40 ,front bearing on the alternator was rusted onto shaft,tight cam belt it more like a roar,its more likely to loosen with age ,then flap .its funy as i was sure the noise was coming from the rocker cover area but after replacing those bearings ,the noise has gone ,pugs

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Sorry... Was a spelling misunderstanding... I came to the thread to recommend the Cabernet Sauvignon.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Thread Information