504 vacuum/plumbing issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 vacuum/plumbing issues

I've been modifying my 73 504GL (US version) and have run into a vacuum/plumbing issue.  Just for background, this car does not ned to pass any emission tests and I have replaced the Solex carb with a Weber DFEV and an intake manifold from a 71 504 to fit the ports. The plumbing arrangement is as follows:

Vacuum port on manifold nearest the engine block connected to the brake boost, vacuum port on the Weber connected to the line that runs to the charcoal canister and then the gas tank (fuel evap control), other vacuum port on the manifold connected to the oil filler cannister which is then teed off and runs to a port on the bottom of the box that holds the air filter on top of the carb. This is all OK, no gas smell when running or parked. I have however added an electronic distributor from a 505 that needs a vacuum advance. To deal with this I left the vacuum port on manifold nearest the engine block connected to the brake boost, connected the vaccum port on the weber to the dizzy, and teed the fuel evap line into the line that runs to the oil canister. Car runs fine but gas smell is quite noticible at rest. Not sure if I'm missing something here. I suppose i could just cap off the line that runs to the gas tank before the charcoal cannister and let the gas vent out the gas cap, as well. Anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

The distributor should definitely be connected to the port on the carburettor near the throttle butterfly. This gets no vacuum with throttle closed which is what is meant to happen with vacuum advance.

The purge line from the charcoal canister should connect somewhere higher up in the main airflow through the carb, the idea being that when the air is moving at a good pace, it'll tend to draw the fumes back out of the charcoal. If there's no such pipe on the Weber, I'd vent the hose inside the air cleaner.

Have fun,

Rob.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Rob. Took a look again and found a small crack in my in-line fuel filter that seemed to be causing the odor. Replaced the filter and now it's all good with the charcoal canister teed into the line running from the air filter to the oil canister as suggested.

russ

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

not familiar with your Pug setup, however, I reckon that all the charcoal cannister setups I've come across have a signal line to the carb which ensures that the system doesn't run at idle. It would be a small diam port on the cannister, smelly ones are usually quite large bore hoses.

The signal line will happily tee with the vac advance.

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information