Series I 505 Air Conditioning
  • Register
  • Help

Default Series I 505 Air Conditioning

Hi,

I can find information on here about Series II 505s, but not very much about Series I.

I'm trying to locate, if there is one, the low pressure switch in the air con system. Anyone know if it originally had one, and where it is located, please?

Also want to check that I have the controls set correctly to activate the air con. As far as I know:
    • The fan should be in any position other than 'off'
    • The air direction control lever should be in either of the two 'snow' illustration positions.
    • The degree of cold is determined by the lever next to the fan speed.
    • I'm not sure what effect the heater temperature has when in air conditioning mode, but I have it set at the coldest.

If I give power directly to the compressor, with the controls set in those positions, I get cold air. Take away the direct power, and I have nothing. That suggests to me an electrical problem to the compressor, but even with the direct power, the condenser fans don't start up. And the pressure in the air con hoses builds up. Very high!

Any clues as to where to head, please?

Advertisement

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

micro switch on the actual lever on the dash

depending upon the model of 505 the temp control will only let more heat into the car via the heater matrix

i don't know if the later ones were more integrated but i do know the earlier ones were very much the same as the 604 and cool temp was not controlled by the temp slider

the first snow flake is to cool incoming air into the cabin, the dual snow flake is recirc mode

pull the dash apart, find the little switches on the slide arms and bridge them out and you may find your problem is them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    micro switch on the actual lever on the dash
    Not sure what you mean just saying that, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    depending upon the model of 505 the temp control will only let more heat into the car via the heater matrix

i don't know if the later ones were more integrated but i do know the earlier ones were very much the same as the 604 and cool temp was not controlled by the temp slider
    Ok, that's what I suspected, but I can't compare it to a 604 as I've never had air con working in one of them!

the first snow flake is to cool incoming air into the cabin, the dual snow flake is recirc mode
    As I thought

pull the dash apart, find the little switches on the slide arms and bridge them out and you may find your problem is them
    That sounds like fun! Not.

Thanks for the information.
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

mlb

Quick Reader's Digest version.

If you current is supplied to compressor, then it only engages the electromagnetic clutch. So that part works fine. Power to drive the fans comes from the internal slider. My opinion is that it's dirty dodgy contacts in the sliders. Whip out the controls, clean off the contacts, make sure they are actually making contact, and refit. This is a common problem once these cars start getting old. Can't hurt to clean up the fan controls too while it's out.

As for the LP switch, if anywhere, it will be just above the Receiver/Drier from memory.

I've got the schematics and fault finding for these systems around somewhere. When I get five minutes to spare I'll see if I can dig it up.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Thanks to those who replied. Air con is now working.
    The contacts on the right slider switch were full of gunk. Cleaned them. Re-gassed. Air con works.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Thread Information