504/505 xn1 timing advance
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504/505 xn1 timing advance

I've finally got an electronic ducellier distributor from an 86 505 correctly installed in my '74 504GL with an XN1 engine and new Weber DGEV carburetor. I'm trying to set the timing correctly and wondered what settings others are using? My understadning is that my initial advance should be 8 degrees before TDC at warm idle with the vacuum adance disconnected, and that my total mechanical advance should be around 30 degrees. The vacuum advance is connected to the inlet on the carb so its ported and i guess will add another 10 degrees of advance (not sure about this). Does this all sound about right?

Advertisement

8 BTDC Static sounds about right. I use 4 BTDC on my Ti, though was told by engine tuner to use 12 (I never do as I am told!).
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

If it pings, it's too advanced or the fuel is too low an octane rating. If you can road test the car to check if maximum accelleration is at full throttle, i.e. you don't get the situation where more pedal doesn't give more go, then the timing is about right and you can go drive the thing.

If the cylinder head has bee shaved, usually done to clean up corrosion, the book timing will be too advanced.

I usually put fresh 95 in and take a 11 mm ring spanner and go for a drive to set mine. Certainly with the D (I've never used a timing light on a D)

Have fun!

I set timing this way too . As much advance as you can get away with without pinging

My advice is the same as Bruce's. What the book says is technically correct, but fuel with a lower octane rating will cause it to ping, as will a cylinder head that has been shaved too much. Just advance it to about 12 degrees, and go for a drive. Take an 11 mm ring spanner with you. Go up a hill and put your foot down in in 3rd or 4th gear, and TRY to get it to ping. It's a really metallic sound....you'd swear it was the timing chain. Rotate the distributor clockwise until it no longer pings. Check how many degrees advance you have when you get home, and that is your benchmark for that particular engine running on that particular fuel.
    PS....don't do up the clamp at the bottom of the distributor too tight....it's easy to break....it's only aluminium. It never needs to be that tight, and does have a certain amount of "spring" in it.

Fellow Frogger!

Great advice as usual. I was very surprised to find my timing currently set at 0 BTDC which may explain why the car has very little power on hills. I went with 8 degrees advance (on 89 octane unleaded) which was MUCH better, then up to 12 degrees advance which didnt seem any better but didnt ping either. Did seem harder to start at 12 so i dialed it back to about 9-10 which seems just right, certainly better than before. This combined with finally getting my kick down cable connected correctly has really given the old girl some jump. Thanks again

Thread Information