Megasquirt - Build and install
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Megasquirt - Build and install

I'm so excited! - My Megasquirt arrived today.

I have been tossing up the idea and with many months of investigation I narrowed it down to two contenders. Megasquirt II or Haltech Sprint 500.

I liked the Haltech but I liked the idea of the Megasquirt better. I have to build it as in solder all the components to the PC board, I have to test it, I have to program it, I have to install it and I have to get the car running. I have done a lot of electronics in the past but this is my first ECU.

I will post pics for the construction and installation because there are many peeps out there that have heard about this stuff but not a lot of info shown during the build. Most of the time it's pics during soldering time, then a quick flash and it's start up time.

Hears a look at what you get.I bought a Megasquirt II with PC board three (the latest board for the system). I also bought a "stimulator" which allows you to test the ECU before installation to the car. It simulates all systems that and engine needs to run, thus tricking the board into thinking that everything is working and displays proper infomation up onto the laptop screen. In my opinion, this is a must if you construct this stuff yourself.

Advertisement

....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I'll be interested to hear how it pans out - have had one of the Haltech people giving me the hard sell for a retrofit on a '60s single cam motor. MS is much cheaper.

VIP Sponsor

Hardest part is fitting the transistors, very close pad spacing. Get some Soderwick in case you bridge the pads with solder.
    The board is very good quality (unlike Jaycar kits) and will tolerate heat as you remove the excess solder.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    I'm so excited! - My Megasquirt arrived today.

I have been tossing up the idea and with many months of investigation I narrowed it down to two contenders. Megasquirt II or Haltech Sprint 500.

I liked the Haltech but I liked the idea of the Megasquirt better. I have to build it as in solder all the components to the PC board, I have to test it, I have to program it, I have to install it and I have to get the car running. I have done a lot of electronics in the past but this is my first ECU.

I will post pics for the construction and installation because there are many peeps out there that have heard about this stuff but not a lot of info shown during the build. Most of the time it's pics during soldering time, then a quick flash and it's start up time.

Hears a look at what you get.I bought a Megasquirt II with PC board three (the latest board for the system). I also bought a "stimulator" which allows you to test the ECU before installation to the car. It simulates all systems that and engine needs to run, thus tricking the board into thinking that everything is working and displays proper infomation up onto the laptop screen. In my opinion, this is a must if you construct this stuff yourself.

Fellow Frogger!

Vastly better quality than a Jaycar kit, and much better value. It's the only kit I've assembled that worked through things systematically too. Put on a few components, plug in the Stim, check voltages here and here. If something's wrong, must be in those few components. So much better than the standard Jaycar "solder in all the resistors, then the capacitors, then the transistors, then the ICs". It was also amazing how little was on the board before you were loading firmware onto the processor (less amazing now that I understand a little bit about electronics).

For me, a visor/magnifier (think mine is a Dick Smith number, but Jaycar have one) was indispensable for the job. Better eyes may be up to it, but the magnifier allowed me to be pretty confident even of those closely spaced joints on the transistors. I've only assembled two Megasquirts, but they both have worked fine from the outset.

Have fun,

Rob.

Excelent choice!

I got a 3.57 board because i dont want to solder the components, but the megasquirt is an excellent ecu.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpucci View Post
    Excelent choice!

I got a 3.57 board because i dont want to solder the components, but the megasquirt is an excellent ecu.

You got the 3.57 because we have cebated you!

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    You got the 3.57 because we have cebated you!
    And maybe, because i got no time to build it. I MUST remove the distributor that week.

Default Spose I'd better update my thread....

This is an update of my Megasquirt build. First I completed the Jimstim board which is put together on an excellent double sided PC board. The quality of the board and components is nothing I have ever seen before in kit building.

Powered it up and all detailed tests as per the instruction manual are good. Next item is the Megasquirt 2 (v3) board with the same well made stuff. Instructions are relevant to the quality of the kit - One paragraph per component.

Still continuing with the kit but progress is well under way now.

I have included a pic showing a throttle body from an RB26DETT (Nissan). I have been to the import wreckers and had a look at these bodies and I'm pretty impressed with them. My plan was to make up some 12mm DCOE plates and use some DCOE bodies on the MI16 manifold. These are a very similar pattern (although slightly different) and will be a better set up as I will use the existing injectors. Average price for them on the net is $300.00 (for three pairs of bodies) with rods. I measure the throats at 45mm approx.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-Skyli...item2a2f02a7a0

Updates coming....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_175312.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_175332.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_175354.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_175408.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_181355.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_204830.jpg  

Megasquirt - Build and install-20130707_204843.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130720_185727.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130720_185753.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-20130618_123810.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

Yes, the PC board quality is truly excellent.
    I have not had a single hardware fault on any of the ECUs I have built and many of these have been used in outback rallies in the toughest of conditions.
    Graham

This is an update of my Megasquirt build. First I completed the Jimstim board which is put together on an excellent double sided PC board. The quality of the board and components is nothing I have ever seen before in kit building.

Powered it up and all detailed tests as per the instruction manual are good. Next item is the Megasquirt 2 (v3) board with the same well made stuff. Instructions are relevant to the quality of the kit - One paragraph per component.

Still continuing with the kit but progress is well under way now.

I have included a pic showing a throttle body from an RB26DETT (Nissan). I have been to the import wreckers and had a look at these bodies and I'm pretty impressed with them. My plan was to make up some 12mm DCOE plates and use some DCOE bodies on the MI16 manifold. These are a very similar pattern (although slightly different) and will be a better set up as I will use the existing injectors. Average price for them on the net is $300.00 (for three pairs of bodies) with rods. I measure the throats at 45mm approx.

JDM Skyline RB26DET 6 Throttle Body Bodies R32 R33 R34 GT R GTR AIR Intake | eBay

Updates coming....

Good to see an Aussie biulding a MSII.
    I too have looked at using one ( for a Holden v8 motor), but have access to Delco ECU's and a grage to program the Delco.

Where did you buy yours from, as everytime I looked It is a tad confusing who sells to Australia?

I have a pair of the Nissan bodies. I made a pair of flanges on the mill. I may still have file if you want a copy. I also turned up some transition pieces to go from 45mm down to 40mm. I still haven't welded it all together.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Aaww Peter - Very interested - Tell me more. Top looking bodies that seem to be unheard of....

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites View Post
    I too have looked at using one ( for a Holden v8 motor), but have access to Delco ECU's and a grage to program the Delco.

Where did you buy yours from, as everytime I looked It is a tad confusing who sells to Australia?
    There are some guys on the MS forum in Oz but I don't think there are any resellers. Mine came from Ebay (guy who bought the kit from DIY Autotune but did not start with construction) at a price I was very happy with and it was completely unopened. I will make my own loom so there is really nothing else to purchase. In fact I have not even downloaded the software yet but I will have to soon for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Yup that's the one.

Sorry, I had a look but the file seems to be corrupted. Easy to start again however if you want one. This is how I approached it. I milled the two flanges on to one piece of plate. The spacing is near perfect for the standard manifold. The milled rings are to accept the transition pieces. In retrospect, I should have made the runners a bit longer. Mine came from an R32 but look identical to yours. It's ready to weld together. I lost track as a pair of 48mm EFI TB's came up at a silly price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Megasquirt - Build and install-nissan-manifold.jpg   Megasquirt - Build and install-r32-45mm-throttle-bodies.jpg  
    Last edited by PeterT; 22nd July 2013 at 05:49 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

I'm holding out for the FreeEMS projects hardware to reach maturity, in particular the Ravage hardware implementation. What I like about FreeEMS is that its open source, and as I come from an OS/Linux background it suits me well. It may still be another 6 months though. Its a good thing I don't need it yet.

FreeEMS
    DIYEFI.org

VIP Sponsor

I buy mine from Glenns Garage, I think he does a better kit than DIY Autotune.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Sorry, I had a look but the file seems to be corrupted. Easy to start again however if you want one. This is how I approached it. I milled the two flanges on to one piece of plate. The spacing is near perfect for the standard manifold. The milled rings are to accept the transition pieces. In retrospect, I should have made the runners a bit longer. Mine came from an R32 but look identical to yours. It's ready to weld together. I lost track as a pair of 48mm EFI TB's came up at a silly price.
    Peter, what length runners should be on the Mi16 manifold when I cut it up? (measuring from the manifold flange)

....and is it cut at 90 deg?

Graham or Peter - what have you used for PC Connection? I am looking for the USB to Serial connector but I'm told some them do not work due to quality.....

VIP Sponsor

My current lap top has a serial RS232 connection port.
    I do have an adaptor for the day when it stops working and I have to buy a replacement, yes have heard that they aren't too effective.
    Anyway I am about to upgrade to MS3 which has a USB port.
    Graham

I think it will be cheaper to get an old laptop with a serial port than to stuff around getting the right lead. That way it will be dedicated to the work shop - Problem Solvered!

How do you look at the software? I downloaded TunerStudio MS to have a peep but it looks very barron. Do you have to be connected to see anything? Am I doing the right thing? Apps I'm familiar with, can make a map off-line, then up load it when you're ready.

I do have a USB convertor, but prefer to use old laptops when I need a serial connection. I'll have a look for the convertor.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Graham or Peter - what have you used for PC Connection? I am looking for the USB to Serial connector but I'm told some them do not work due to quality.....
    The Autronic ecu I use has a serial output.

It was not the only thing in the chain that uses serial and I managed to luck it in first time by choosing a serial-usb lead from Jaycar.

Plenty of guys seem to have issues with other brands but neither of the jaycar leads have missed a beat.
    In fact during one firmware upgrade (innovative Lc-1) the serial connection kept locking so I tried the usb lead and it worked first go.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

I bought a cheap USB to serial adaptor to talk to wolf 3d last year... It didn't work.
    Ended up using my desktop which has a rs232 port. I was told that Belkin adapters work well (with wolf anyway).

Via the aussiefrogs App

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information