Rear beam bearing replacement...who does this in Sydney?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rear beam bearing replacement...who does this in Sydney?

I've just plucked my rear beam out as part of a major overhaul and need to get the bearings replaced / beam overhauled and want to know who is the best at refurbishing these things.. ?
    The outer bearings need replacing and i guess the inners will need to be done as well. Any advice welcome.

Simon

Advertisement

Advice? Buy the shafts overseas and save a bundle. Get the good bearings from EAI (Grahame Wallis raised this detail). If Peter T or Adrian W can't get to it soon enough for your timeframe, I may have another contact to do the presswork.

Also renew the rear flex hose set while you're at it.

Default Re: Rear beam bearing replacement...who does this in Sydney?

Keen to hear more on this also, will be doing the 306s soon

Thanks Addo,

Got the bearings yesterday from EAI in Thornleigh. I have just jumped on line and found a pair of new shafts and should get them next week... now it's a matter of getting the old beam apart.... need a can of WD40 for each side I think....

S

Best place overseas for shafts?

Genuine, or non-genuine? I've got places for both. It's good value to order three pair at a time if going genuine. From memory they can land under $140 each when you do this, which is cheaper than ParagonPug.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Genuine, or non-genuine? I've got places for both. It's good value to order three pair at a time if going genuine. From memory they can land under $140 each when you do this, which is cheaper than ParagonPug.
    Do you have a source of new genuine driveshafts for 205 GTI, addo? Early (87) car.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

If they're as good as genuine I don't care. Mine are for a 306 but I believe they are the same part, correct?
    I would go in on a group buy if it was on but I am looking to move on it in the next week at least.

I found some really cheap ones. 61 Polish Zlotys ($19) plus freight. "Expert Line" brand. this appeals to my inner bargain-hunting masochist for shit parts.

Also found "First" brand fairly cheap (not to be confused with Birth brand or FirstLine); about 60 Euro.

Noted that ParagonPug/PugFive do not presently say theirs actually are genuine! Thanks for coming.

Febi may be a good compromise; it would be a hair over $100/shaft delivered for six, P/N 32781 from a few German suppliers.

Purchased a pair of genuine shafts from Paragonpug for $399 including shipping.

I should get them next week and thanks to Peter T for getting in touch re the bearing work.

On the topic of suspension, I'm fitting Bilstein B6 struts to the front with Group N top mount rubbers. after dismantling the macpherson struts I discovered that my car has been running around with the incorrect top mounts since I bought it... there was about 5mm vertical play. The old rubbers are tapered on one side and flat on the bottom and super soft... I think maybe from a 505 or 504? Maybe this was the reason I changed lanes each time I accelerated????

The group N top mounts tightened down beautifully and I'm throwing new genuine control arms in as well so the front end will be tight as....

S

From my experience changing lanes is normally a symptom of worn wishbone bushes, might pay to check them as well....

Yes, the bushes are gone as well.. Will be changing them out as well..

Thread Information