405 SRDT Air Con Issues
  • Help

Default 405 SRDT Air Con Issues

Im having some issues with my air con and would love to get it fixed before it gets too hot. My A/C only works once per day when the car is cold. If i leave it on high, it will run all day and stay cold but as soon as I turn it down a bit the compressor kicks off. If I turn the car off and turn it back on again, the compressor wont kick on. I have replaced all kinds of things in the system. I had an a/c guy come out and he said that its full of gas, but didnt have a wiring diagram to fix it. I looked into it myself and replaced the climate control unit on the dash which did nothing, The little black box under the center console which also did nothing, I changed the temperature sensor on under the passenger side dash and it did have an affect for a while and it did start to work the way it was supposed too for a day or so before going back to how it was. I wasnt able to seat the sensor exactly in the same position as the last one was but would that make a difference if its in the same rubber holder? I think its an electrical wire that gets warm as the engine gets warm and then fails to omit the signal once it gets warm. Does anyone have any idea's here? The only things I have not replaced are the a/c compressor itself and the parts in the engine bay. Any insight would be appreciated! I am just about to take it to a peugeot mechanic and see if they can figure it out but they charge through the nose! Any idea's would be appreciated! Thanks

Advertisement

lamlam

There are a few things to test. I have a couple of wiring diagrams - neither is S2 405, but they are quite close.

It's not cold because of several possible things.

If the fan isn't turning, the compressor won't switch on. Can you operate the cabin blower fan at all speeds without AC on?

Also, if the pressostat is not working reliably, it won't stay on. This doesn't usually fail, however.

It may be that the cooling fans are not working properly, and this is causing obstruction to the AC controller.

I can operate the cabin blower motor at all speeds at all times. What is the pressostat? I know when I hit the a/c button, the cooling fans start working near the radiator and Im pretty sure they always work. The funny thing is, the a/c does work, but only once per day or if the car is completely cool, the a/c will kick on when i start the car. If the car is a little bit warm and I turn on the a/c, the compressor wont kick on for some reason. What could that be?

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe check the compressor clutch gap? The clutch surface wears and the gap becomes too large, and usually fails when hot.

To adjust the gap on a Sanden compressor you undo the nut and remove the clutch centre (may need a puller or make one up.)
    There are usually a couple of shims on the shaft, just remove one to get the right gap.
    (You can do this with the compressor in the car and with the system still gassed.)

405 SRDT Air Con Issues-ac-clutch-1.jpg

405 SRDT Air Con Issues-ac-clutch-2.jpg
    spiz

thanks for that Spiz, that could be it. When I get a moment, I'll have a look. Basically your saying the a/c compressor clutch isnt as good as it used to be, i think your right! The compressor is have a hard time kicking on at all now. Is it hard to fix that or is it time for a new compressor?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lamlam View Post
    thanks for that Spiz, that could be it. When I get a moment, I'll have a look. Basically your saying the a/c compressor clutch isnt as good as it used to be, i think your right! The compressor is have a hard time kicking on at all now. Is it hard to fix that or is it time for a new compressor?
    Yes, the clutch wears gradually over time.
    It is a fairly straightforward job for a good mechanic. Depending on the brand on compressor some are easier than others.
    It can be done in the car and the refrigerant system does not have to be disturbed.

A favourite story is where an owner has taken their car in to have the non-functional a/c system checked & the mechanic discovers that the clutch nut has come undone and the clutch centre is missing! (somewhere on the side of the road.)
    spiz

Thread Information