flutter/fart noise coming from somewhere
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

flutter/fart noise coming from somewhere

and no it's not the driver!

Advertisement

ok after i got my brakes changed, i have noticed this flutter noise coming from somewhere while i'm driving. I can hear it when driving next to a wall as the noise bounces back. It sounds like a constant flutter like an exaust with a hole but its not loud. Is there a common prob with the 306 that would make this noise? I've tried looking arounf the car, can't really find where its coming from

thanks

I have a noise like a pad lightly rubbing on a disc from the front - and yeah it sounds like a flutter.

That changes to a kssshshshshsh noise (like that?) when the brakes are being applied though.

Maybe we should meet up and compare.

Fellow Frogger!
    you reckon the grooved discs make the noise??

Yeah thats what I think it is.

My room mate has a VT Clubsport and he got drilled AND slotted rotors and they make s ksshshssh noise quite loudly.

If the noise is proportional to engine speed I'd be guessing a leaky exhaust (probably manifold or down pipe). You can usually tell this one because of an increase in noise on decelleration

If the noise is proportional to road speed I'd be guessing a slightly warped or unevenly worn disk

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

1000+ Posts
    I've heard cross-drilled rotors making a sound kind of like flicking your finger back and forth across your lips rapidly while you blow out

Maybe it's the same with slotted ones (if that's what you ended up with?????)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    [quote]Originally posted by Stuey:
    <strong>I've heard cross-drilled rotors making a sound kind of like flicking your finger back and forth across your lips rapidly while you blow out

Maybe it's the same with slotted ones (if that's what you ended up with?????)

Stuey</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah thats the sound!! the discs aren't cross drilled, just slotted on spot drilled i think its called. The holes don't go all th way through. But the noise doesn't seem to get any louder at speed, so i don't think its teh exaust. If it is an exaust, i guess that will be another excuse to get a sports exaust!

1000+ Posts
    ...come on now, own up. How many of you pursed your lips, blew out, and flicked your finger across them?

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Not Me!!!
    I just farted instead :p

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole
    ROFL! I must confess, I did Stu! Sprung!

[quote]Originally posted by Pugsly:
    <strong>

But the noise doesn't seem to get any louder at speed, so i don't think its teh exaust. If it is an exaust, i guess that will be another excuse to get a sports exaust!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exhaust noises usually appear to DECREASE with vehicle speed, Pugsly, but increasewithhigh load and deceleration situations .

Its simple to tell the difference. Just run the engine with the car stationary. If you can hear the noise, and it increases in speed ( - ie more farts per minute - not necessarily louder) when you rev the motor, its exhaust / engine related.

If the FPM ("farts per minute") increase with vehicle speed (regardless of what gear you are in) and aren't apparent with the vehicle stationary, its related to the running gear (most probably the brakes, although wheel bearings are another possibility.)

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks Rod, makes perfect sence! Maybe i should pop down to jaycar to see if they got a FPM meter kit

Thread Information