Buying tires from O/S - tirerack?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Buying tires from O/S - tirerack?

has anyone bought tires from tirerack or similar places? what are the pros and cons? the prices seem ok but have not seen any freight costs yet. im guessing they are reliable enough to deal with as they have been around for a bit.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    has anyone bought tires from tirerack or similar places? what are the pros and cons? the prices seem ok but have not seen any freight costs yet. im guessing they are reliable enough to deal with as they have been around for a bit.
    I don't know who tirerack are but I've heard the warning about buying imported tires.

1/ They don't meet ADR.

2/ Most tire stores refuse to fit them because of any comeback on them if they fail.

Check first before buying.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

I've got a few friends who have bought from them and they all have nothing but positive things to say. Even after paying for shipping from the US, still usually works out way cheaper than buying locally.

You know the real problem here is we can't buy TIRES in Australia

They only sell TYRES here in Oz............

Don't you just HATE the way our language is becoming Americanized ROFLMAO

Just wait for the replies to this one....haha
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

probley should just clear up the reason im looking at overseas stuff.

1. price, they seem to be alot cheaper even when freight is involved

2. availibility, they just dont have the type of tyre i want here in oz without giving them an arm or leg

3. no one i have come across in oz want to get stuff in that you request, they are only keen on talking down other brands and recommending there stuff/stock.

every tire i have searched for seems to come back to www.tirerack.com

owl

I purchased 6 BF Goodrich Mud tyres from Tirerack last year for my 4WD. My reason for buying overseas was delivery time. Was quoted locally 3 months (actually 15 weeks - so closer to 4 months) delivery time. Ordered from Tirerack on a Saturday here and tyres were delivered to my door the following Monday week.

Local Bob Jane fitted them for $20.00 each. Buy price + air freight + customs + GST (it came to over AU$1,000.00 so GST applies) + fitting I saved $300.00 over buying local - which I was prepared to do if the local importers were prepared to offer a more satisfactory delivery time.

Bob Jane guy was a little p!ssed that I hadn't bought the tyres from him, but had to acknowledge he had given me the ridiculous delivery time 2 weeks before. He also said that this was the 3rd set of imported tyres he fitted in 2 weeks. Maybe they should wake up to themselves.

And yes - when my tyres get tired, its time to replace them with new tyres.
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

tomatoe, tomarto, just realised, or is it realized, what i typed in the heading. some say tire some say tyre

Really only good for performance tyres
    Normally 40 % of Oz cost plus $70ea freight from USA
    Exactly same tyre you would buy here
    Gotta stay under $1000 otherwise pay GST

probley should just clear up the reason im looking at overseas stuff.

1. price, they seem to be alot cheaper even when freight is involved

2. availibility, they just dont have the type of tyre i want here in oz without giving them an arm or leg

3. no one i have come across in oz want to get stuff in that you request, they are only keen on talking down other brands and recommending there stuff/stock.

every tire i have searched for seems to come back to www.tirerack.com

tomatoe, tomarto, just realised, or is it realized, what i typed in the heading. some say tire some say tyre

I'm thinking 'tire' is merely the start...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

You haven't said what sort of tyre you are after. 4WD tyres & high end performance types like Michelin's Pilot SuperSports will warrant the freight but fall foul of the 1000 buck GST limit unless you engage in a bit of fraud by splitting the shipments. Cheaper tyres from the States tend to be more orientated towards comfort & mileage than local equivalents so be wary of what you get. (Gripless stodgy rubbish)

For such cheaper tyres, I'd recommend Performance Alloys in the UK (Northern Ireland) if it's something not readily available here. The types are likely to be better gripping and responding than those oriented to the U.S. market.

cheers! Peter

Know of several who have successfully brought in tyres from tirerack, they seem quite happy.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Might be good for getting stuff you don't see here like snow tyres....
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

im after a high performance tyre in 15" for my 205. thanks everyone for the replies, i think id be happy enough to use tirerack based on the above comments.

owl

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    ..... 4WD tyres & high end performance types like Michelin's Pilot SuperSports will warrant the freight but fall foul of the 1000 buck GST limit unless you engage in a bit of fraud by splitting the shipments. .....

cheers! Peter
    Splitting the shippment doesn't work. If Cusroms sees 2 shippments from the same source to the same destination in the same year, they apply GST to the total. You need to get your mother in law to buy the 2nd shippment.

In any case, if the 10% GST makes the difference between buying local or importing, then you should be buying local anyway. Even if the difference is a few 100 $'s, I'd be buying local - my reason for importing was availability.
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

I lack such convictions. The prices here for many things are not reasonable; they are the effect of a pro-rata markup irrespective of common sense. Why should I pay $85 for a Peugeot 605 thermostat locally, when I can buy it off Fleabay UK in the original Peugeot bag for 8.99?

Money I spend in Australia, I prefer to go to people who actually make, repair or modify things. Like Owen Wuillemin's offset cam key for the Mi16, or the idler pulley boss I had made for another job.

Never had an issue with Customs on any annualised basis yet; once they failed to read a label properly (100% their incompetence) and in the famous spirit of Australian Federal Gov't departments not returning correspondence (is it sloth or cowardice?), simply released the shipment without further comment.

owl

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I lack such convictions. The prices here for many things are not reasonable; they are the effect of a pro-rata markup irrespective of common sense..
    You also need to factor in the value of convenience and local warranty. If the difference is 10 - 15% then I lean towards buying local.
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

Fellow Frogger!

What warranty? You get better protection buying international with a credit card or Paypal, than you do buying for example from interstate. I bought two faulty radiatiors from European Auto Imports (EAI) and was left helpless when they refused to exchange or refund either of them. I called the department of fair trade and they advised me to never buy interstate...

1000+ Posts

im after a high performance tyre in 15" for my 205. thanks everyone for the replies, i think id be happy enough to use tirerack based on the above comments.
    Out of curiosity, what was your tyre choice? (I'd go Michelin Super Sports, then Goodyear F1 AS2, then Conti SC 5 or 5P). Cheers! Peter

have read some good reviews on the Dunlop Direzza z1 so would be looking at trying them.

If you buy them from the US, i think you can call them tires.

Languages evolve, but I still hang onto my tyres and a reasonably reliable ability to understand the difference between their/there/they're... I also still want to stab people in the eye with a pencil when say lol as a word.

As for tirerack.com - my take was that it only works out cheaper in expensive sizes?

I certainly have no problem with tyres that are good enough for the US market from manufactuerers that sell the same ones here anyway!
    Last edited by Haakon; 4th July 2012 at 10:32 AM.

I investigated this a while ago, and the main concern is the load bearing of the tyres. It's coded so you have to check what we get locally first, then check it overseas. It has something to do with Insurance being weird about it if they assess and find they aren't local tyres. So people won't touch it as some are lower load capable (from the US. They have the same tyres (tires?) with different load codes, so check first) than what we get here, and if there's an accident, they will be liable, or at least a chance of being liable, for fitting it.

Fellow Frogger!

Bureacracy at its best...

have read some good reviews on the Dunlop Direzza z1 so would be looking at trying them.
    How much/what is your price range?

Wow. Just checked it out. My tyres cost me each what they price for a set of four (without shipping). That's it. I've had it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

just got pricing back from tirerack, the first guy i emailed failed to return anything, but the second guy i emailed was very quick in replying.

price was for 4 x 205/50/15 dunlop direzza z1 tires. tyres were $121 each, $484 for a set of 4, shipping came in at $338 using fedex economy (delivery in 5-6 days) which makes it a total of $822 USD. there site shows them as being out of stock, but in stock by 18/7/12.
    based on current exchange rate thats about $800 AUD. i would still need to fit and balance these so im guessing about $840 AUD if there are no other hidden costs/taxes?

to be honest i thought it would work out cheaper. i found a place in vic that can do these tyres for $960 fitted and balanced, plus they have them in stock. so for and extra $120 i think i will stay local.

I'd suggest $60 to fit/balance/scrap four tyres, least at Sydney prices.

Did you price importing eight, for comparison? Definitely sounds like you got a cubic weight ping there.

Also, don't use the Google exchange rates; do a dummy run with either your bank (using the online transfer facility) or PayPal to see how much the bastards actually ream you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information