windscreen prices
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default windscreen prices

Hi-I just spoke to a guy who has his 460,000 k 406 stdt for sale in Kyneton.
    In his story on the T.Post site he stated that it needs a new screen.
    HE HAD BEEN QUOTED $800.00 BY W'SCREEN O'BRIEN.
    I phoned Sue @ Windscreen Power in Ballarat [5333 1443]who have done all of my windscreens for the last 15 years.They have other branches/contacts far & wide.
    She quoted $190 for the normal screen & $250 for the sensor screen.

Advertisement

Needless to say that the young guy was thankful when I spoke to him.

Interestingly he had bought his 406 @ 80 k & apart from normal service only spent $15.00 on a sensor that had failed.
    Hope that assists someone.

Peter.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-I just spoke to a guy who has his 460,000 k 406 stdt for sale in Kyneton.
    In his story on the T.Post site he stated that it needs a new screen.
    HE HAD BEEN QUOTED $800.00 BY W'SCREEN O'BRIEN.
    I phoned Sue @ Windscreen Power in Ballarat [5333 1443]who have done all of my windscreens for the last 15 years.They have other branches/contacts far & wide.
    She quoted $190 for the normal screen & $250 for the sensor screen.

Needless to say that the young guy was thankful when I spoke to him.

Interestingly he had bought his 406 @ 80 k & apart from normal service only spent $15.00 on a sensor that had failed.
    Hope that assists someone.

Peter.
    you do realise that the only difference between the two screens is a bit of shading don't you ??

so if you think that it's worth the extra $60 for that then go for it, i for one find it strange that they even bother metioning it as the sensor isn't part of the screen but they are quick to tell you that the screen and sensor is special
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

At 110 kph on the Bruce Highway I had a truck loose a wheel nut in front of me earlier this year. It left a nice divett in the windscreen of the 407 right in front of me (thought it was coming through but the screen held) and the replacement was $1360, luckily I had ticked the box for a windscreen when I renewed the insurance on the car.
    When I questioned it "they" said that the bonnet had to be removed and replaced to ensure that the screen was fitted correctly plus the screen "carried the electrics".

FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    At 110 kph on the Bruce Highway I had a truck loose a wheel nut in front of me earlier this year. It left a nice divett in the windscreen of the 407 right in front of me (thought it was coming through but the screen held) and the replacement was $1360, luckily I had ticked the box for a windscreen when I renewed the insurance on the car.
    When I questioned it "they" said that the bonnet had to be removed and replaced to ensure that the screen was fitted correctly plus the screen "carried the electrics".

FLASH
    does the 407 have HUD ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

No, but it is an athermic windscreen. (on the 407) We see it all the time where non genuine one get fitted that are athermic. The issue is that the genuine windscreens have a section where it is straight glass so the rain sensor can operate correctly. Most non genuine screens do not have this "clear" section, and so the auto wipers/lights don't work correctly.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

PAY the extra $50-$200 on the insurance policy for the genuine windscreen. All my 4 cars (not on lay up) have windscreen cover.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger!

does that explain why when i took the screen out a a privilage clio to put it in my daughters stock clio the screen had a clear section centre low, is that for a rain sensor, always wondered what that clear bit was
    regards fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    does that explain why when i took the screen out a a privilage clio to put it in my daughters stock clio the screen had a clear section centre low, is that for a rain sensor, always wondered what that clear bit was
    regards fisher
    On A privilege that is actually for etags etc
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

1000+ Posts

Just had a quote for a non sensor screen on my 406. Windscreens Obrien $530, Hunter Valley Glass $310.
    When I questioned Obriens on the price difference he said they are much better at fitting them than anyone else. I don't believe them.
    After hearing about the Ballarat prices I will make further enquiries though I've had several screens fitted by HVG and never any problems.

1000+ Posts

Quite some years ago my youngest son Adam paid -for memory- paid O'Brien's $450 for a screen for his MI 16 -Windscreen Powers price was $130.00?
    When Lumley's asked if I wanted O'Brien's no for them to fit a new screen on my Courier ute I said 'No Thanks-not even on my wheelbarrow.
    I ran a very successful business for many years & REFUSED TO RIP ANYONE OFF.

I also refuse to support anyone who does.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Just had a quote for a non sensor screen on my 406. Windscreens Obrien $530, Hunter Valley Glass $310.
    When I questioned Obriens on the price difference he said they are much better at fitting them than anyone else. I don't believe them.
    After hearing about the Ballarat prices I will make further enquiries though I've had several screens fitted by HVG and never any problems.
    yeah it's pretty hard getting the sikaflex right
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

O'briens quoted $840 for a Sprite screen , bought one in Sydney for $220 from the sprite man!

why bother with ripoff merchants?

yet a lot on insurance companies use them. Why?? $$$$??

just because they are big doesn't make them good

The bloke I use - Premier Windscreens in Blacktown - religiously primes the opening with Sika primer. This is to help make up for scratches in the coating (paint and galv) created during excision of the old glass. Haven't seen too many other fitters bother with this step.

Why do some windscreens "work" with the rain sensing wipers and some not? Is it due to the clear section? Mine has that clear section but still the wipers don't work.

I've been told by a few windscreen places, O'Briens included, that it is due to the thickness of the screen.

Possible?
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by 505604 View Post
    Why do some windscreens "work" with the rain sensing wipers and some not? Is it due to the clear section? Mine has that clear section but still the wipers don't work.

I've been told by a few windscreen places, O'Briens included, that it is due to the thickness of the screen.

Possible?
    sounds like a load of cods to me

my 306 has an aftermarket screen in it and the wipers work fine as they did with the original

BTW screens are made to a standard as far as i know

i'd say your one MAY have extra tint causing the drama
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    sounds like a load of cods to me

my 306 has an aftermarket screen in it and the wipers work fine as they did with the original

BTW screens are made to a standard as far as i know

i'd say your one MAY have extra tint causing the drama
    I'm glad that yours does. I wish mine did.

I can't see any tinting in that space, but obviously there may be.

I wonder why a number of windscreen shops have told me the same thing. And Regans, in Melbourne, too.
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by 505604 View Post
    I'm glad that yours does. I wish mine did.

I can't see any tinting in that space, but obviously there may be.

I wonder why a number of windscreen shops have told me the same thing. And Regans, in Melbourne, too.
    have a good look at the screen and see if it has a slight tinge to it

if it's not perfectly clear i think you will have found your problem

different grades of glass will have different grades of clarity
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information