WTD Citroen GS 1220 Warm Air Pipe
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default WTD Citroen GS 1220 Warm Air Pipe

Hi all,

I have a 1974/75 Citroen GS Club 1220 with a Weber carby (sharing in the VB Break with J-aime la vie). It is EXTREMELY hard to warm up - stalls at any attempt to take off unless warmed up for at least 5 minutes. After investigation I have realised that there is a "warm air pipe" missing on the car that comes up from a fitting on the exhaust pipe (on the LHS looking into the engine bay, RHS from drivers seat) that should go up to the underneath front of the air filter. Within the unit it connects to there is meant to be a temperature controlled flap that allows warm exhaust air into the air filter when cold, that closes when the interior temp reaches about 30c.

Advertisement

I think the missing warm air pipe is NOT helping! A photo (from a Citroen Tech bulletin) showing the pipe is (hopefully) below - it is the shiny one with 2 bends in it that obscures the rocker cover. Does anyone have a spare one of these?:

GS_warm_air_pipe.jpg

Thanks & regards,
    Leconte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTD Citroen GS 1220 Warm Air Pipe-gs_warm_air_pipe.jpg  

Afaik not many still have those intact, and, coincidentally, they all need you to go and have a cuppa after starting and before wanting to go anywhere.

I built one from few tomatoe tins (empty) that I riveted together.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    I built one from few tomatoe tins (empty) that I riveted together.
    Yes indeed.

Exhibit A, your worship.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTD Citroen GS 1220 Warm Air Pipe-gs-tin-can-air-duct.jpg  

Fantastic, simply fantastic

C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    Fantastic, simply fantastic
    A good temporary repair, I would say. I have a real one from a parts car and I plan to install that.

Roger

It was a temporary fix for me all the time I had the car. I have loads of fixes like that coz I am a queenssland bush-mechanic

CX Register

Fellow Frogger!

Default Measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    A good temporary repair, I would say. I have a real one from a parts car and I plan to install that.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

If it is handy ( a relative term for those with many cars) would you be able to measure the inside and outside diameters of the pipe? Is it just mild steel? I guess we could get an exhaust shop to make one up but will hang out for a spare one for the moment, and perhaps make something up like kimmo in the interim.

Thanks to all so far.
    Leconte

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps, measure the diameter you need and look at the expandable aluminium air ducting Bunnings carry? It may suit the application.

It think Chevronics has them.

Regarding cold running, this should not be enough to stop it running smooth with a bit of extra choke.

These carbies respond very well to a carby kit.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Hi Leconte,
    I found this while I was searching for the same thing for my GS.

http://www.dayco.com.au/products.asp...2204&P=6027572

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 1974/75 Citroen GS Club 1220 with a Weber carby (sharing in the VB Break with J-aime la vie). It is EXTREMELY hard to warm up - stalls at any attempt to take off unless warmed up for at least 5 minutes. After investigation I have realised that there is a "warm air pipe" missing on the car that comes up from a fitting on the exhaust pipe (on the LHS looking into the engine bay, RHS from drivers seat) that should go up to the underneath front of the air filter. Within the unit it connects to there is meant to be a temperature controlled flap that allows warm exhaust air into the air filter when cold, that closes when the interior temp reaches about 30c.

I think the missing warm air pipe is NOT helping! A photo (from a Citroen Tech bulletin) showing the pipe is (hopefully) below - it is the shiny one with 2 bends in it that obscures the rocker cover. Does anyone have a spare one of these?:

GS_warm_air_pipe.jpg

Thanks & regards,
    Leconte
    Cheers Andrew

Thread Information