parts wanted for 404 resto
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default parts wanted for 404 resto

Hi all,
    i'm in the middle of restoring my 404 and i'm short a couple of parts,
    at the moment i'm after a
    steel rim from a '68' model (just as long as it's round etc - will be blasted/painted.
    the earlier type of over rider (the full stainless ones, no rubber)
    the reflectors on the rear panel either side near the tail lamps.
    and if some one has stashed away a nice pair of rear lamp housings or knows where to get a good set.
    and finally the outer sill cover trims and stainless trim to suit (sedan)
    Thanks again for your time and help.
    Alan Walker

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 68PUG404 View Post
    Hi all,
    i'm in the middle of restoring my 404 and i'm short a couple of parts,
    at the moment i'm after a
    steel rim from a '68' model (just as long as it's round etc - will be blasted/painted.
    the earlier type of over rider (the full stainless ones, no rubber)
    the reflectors on the rear panel either side near the tail lamps.
    and if some one has stashed away a nice pair of rear lamp housings or knows where to get a good set.
    and finally the outer sill cover trims and stainless trim to suit (sedan)
    Thanks again for your time and help.
    Alan Walker
    I should have a couple of stainless trims.
    Why the earlier overider? These were fitted to 64 models and earlier.
    Graham

Tadpole

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your reply.
    When you find out if you have any i'd love to know.

I am restoring another car to a concourse standard (an Alfa Romeo) and with the 404 don't feel i need to be 'locked' in to complete originality. It will be a reliable very neat restoration built for touring.
    i do have a full set of the 'correct' over riders, the rubbers are not the best but is restorable, basically just comes down to the look. just prefer the cleanliness of the earlier ones, as for the rear lamp housings, still weighing up to rechrome, have a couple of leads but not many around, and the reflectors i know the Australian cars had rectangle ones, the french circle, not really fussed either way as long as they are a good condition pair in the end.
    Thanks
    Alan

VIP Sponsor

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your reply.
    When you find out if you have any i'd love to know.

I am restoring another car to a concourse standard (an Alfa Romeo) and with the 404 don't feel i need to be 'locked' in to complete originality. It will be a reliable very neat restoration built for touring.
    i do have a full set of the 'correct' over riders, the rubbers are not the best but is restorable, basically just comes down to the look. just prefer the cleanliness of the earlier ones, as for the rear lamp housings, still weighing up to rechrome, have a couple of leads but not many around, and the reflectors i know the Australian cars had rectangle ones, the french circle, not really fussed either way as long as they are a good condition pair in the end.
    Thanks
    Alan
    Didn't get a chance yesterday, spent all the time learning how to pull 306s apart. I much prefer 205s to work on! I'll check here at home.
    Round reflectors were on pre 1967 cars, square on the later ones.
    Graham

Tadpole

Thanks Graham , much appreciated.

And thats for your knowledge about the 404, with things like the reflectors rear tail lamps etc, at the moment it's coming down to what i can find that is in very good condition or new. i have looked at .franzose.de and asked around quite a few places in Australia, with the main response either too old, or we just do the mechanicals, no trim etc.
    Are there any other suppliers you know of? have also spnt a bit of time on french ebay, but most of it is the usual 'wearing' components to keep them going.
    Thanks
    Alan

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Graham , much appreciated.

And thats for your knowledge about the 404, with things like the reflectors rear tail lamps etc, at the moment it's coming down to what i can find that is in very good condition or new. i have looked at .franzose.de and asked around quite a few places in Australia, with the main response either too old, or we just do the mechanicals, no trim etc.
    Are there any other suppliers you know of? have also spnt a bit of time on french ebay, but most of it is the usual 'wearing' components to keep them going.
    Thanks
    Alan
    I have found a pair of trims might be a bit hard to ship though?

Tadpole

Default trims for 404

Hi Graham,
    Where are you located?
    i know they are long but depending on where you are i could have them picked up.

I'll also have to post a few pics of the 404 and a few of the bits i've already managed to restore.

Thanks
    Alan

VIP Sponsor

Hi Graham,
    Where are you located?
    i know they are long but depending on where you are i could have them picked up.

I'll also have to post a few pics of the 404 and a few of the bits i've already managed to restore.

Thanks
    Alan
    Melbourne

Fellow Frogger!

Default sill covers

I have several very good sedan sill covers and trim strips and can deliver in Sydney

Tadpole

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the update, i can understand they'd be hard to ship- post office not keen on anything that long and i really don't want to have them bent !
    just seeing if i can find a friend in the area, or coming to melbourne soon.
    i'll keep you updated with what i come up with.
    Thanks again
    alan

Tadpole

managed to find a pair of rear light housings, and with the help of fellow aussiefrogs memeber Ian Robbo, now have a pair of sill covers and trim strips that will look great once painted up. still looking for reflectors now have one new circular one, but still keen if someone has one / pair for sale.
    Thanks again.
    Alan

Thread Information