WTB Idle speed control valve
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default WTB Idle speed control valve

My '95 2.0l Laguna is idling extremely rough and doesn't have any power when put under pressure. My local mechanic thinks it's probably the idle control valve or Throttle position sensor but not a 100% sure. So I guess I'll need to try another one before we can be sure. Does anyone have one or the other lying around??????? I've noticed there are relatively cheap ones on ebay in the UK but didn't really want to wait too long as the car is used daily.

Advertisement
    Last edited by muzza6528; 15th February 2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by muzza6528 View Post
    My '95 2.0l Laguna is idling extremely rough and doesn't have any power when put under pressure. My local mechanic thinks it's probably the idle control valve but not a 100% sure. So I guess I'll need to try another one before we can be sure. Does anyone have one lying around???????
    Ouch, the game of gues-a-metrics.

In my experience of these motors, a suspect idle may be the fault of the ICV but under power, I doubt it.

Does it virtually die after a few seconds of acceleration?? If so, Its more likely to be the TPS, but again thats just a guess untill you get it onto an XR25 or similar diagnostic software.

IF you want tomorrow I can entirely disconnect my R19 idle valve and see what difference it makes under load. I suspect no difference whatsoever.
    Jo

Tadpole

Thanks for your quick reply Jo. You're so quick in fact i was just editing my post to include the TPS info. I agree it's more likely to be the TPS. It doesn't die until under load as well as rough idle. Disconnecting your ICV would be worth the experiment but i suspect you'd be right. Cheers, Mario.
    Last edited by muzza6528; 15th February 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: info

AT the risk of pointing the bone...You might need to locate an XR25 renault diagnostic computer anyway.
    A few years ago my local renault guru replaced the TPS (edit: the entire throttle body at considerable expense)on a customers car, and still it misbehaved.

In spite of him having a snap-on modus diagnostic computer which nearly did everything an XR25 did, it took my XR25 to do an ecu reset before the car would run. It was doing his head in ( or the customer was).

Jo

Thread Information