(predictably) WTD R17 bits and pieces.
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default (predictably) WTD R17 bits and pieces.

To start the ball rolling:

• Door snibs (the post/golf tee variety)
    • Window control mechanism (both sides) - or some advice on how these are repaired.
    • Interior mirror (exsisting one is loose on the ball on the back of the mirror housing)
    • Electric sunroof drive cogs, passenger side (yeah, well I thought I'd ask) - or some advice on how these are repaired.
    • The doors have dropped, seems to be wear in the door pins. Are these avaliable or would one need to machine these up?
    • Fuel tank sender (goes wonky under 3/4 of a tank.)

All the best

Peter

Advertisement

Oh, and a small container of sanity might not go astray.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    To start the ball rolling:

Oh, and a small container of sanity might not go astray.
    Sorry, the best I could do with limited resources and time available
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (predictably) WTD R17 bits and pieces.-sanity.jpg  

1000+ Posts

I need 5 cans of sanity thanks.

I put stuff about windows and roof on your other thread. Tell me exactly what is wrong with the windows perhaps I can add to what I wrote. The gears for the roof were available from the R15/17 Amicale Club. I think you have to be a club member. Repairing either the window gears or the roof (can't remember which) have been done using flat metal washers etc on the side of the gears. My doors were dropped and I just readjusted them. Put a jack under the door at the rear and loosen hinge bolts. The tank sensor I have removed and repaired, lasted two weeks then did the same. I carry 5 litres of fuel although the last one third of the gauge seems ok but haven't tested it. I think the pommie cars had a mirror screwed to the metal window surround. The ozzy cars have it glued on to the screen. Early R12 have the screwed type as I think does an R16. Mine is glued but is not a standard one for R17 TS according to the parts book for Oz, as they should have a night dip switch and mine doesn't. Can't help with the golf tee things.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Sorry, the best I could do with limited resources and time available
    Now that me laugh!

And i'll take a six pack, Ann (mrs exfrogger) wants a dozen...

Rob, thanks for the leads. I will update you on the windows in due course
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 31st January 2012 at 02:12 AM.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    [*]Door snibs (the post/golf tee variety)[*]Interior mirror (exsisting one is loose on the ball on the back of the mirror housing)[*]Fuel tank sender (goes wonky under 3/4 of a tank.)

The door snibs, what exactly are they? I'm thinking of the pull/push knob to lock and unlock the door from inside the car? If so, they are the same as the ones on the rear door of the same era 16. I wouldn't think your car has that type though, unless the doors have been changed. The UK spec cars have the key lock in the push button, which has a different type of lock.

If the interior mirror is of the GECO brand (GECO on the dipper knob, mirror with plastic coated steel backing) it will be the same as the stick on type fitted to the AUS spec 12 of the same era, just with a different rod bolting it to the roof of the 17. Sometimes the interior of the mirror falls apart leaving it loose. They can be carefully dismantled. The plastic rim containing the glass and mirror, the surround (containing the glass and mirror) can be peeled away from the metal surround if the plastic rim is soft and pliable. Try leaving the mirror in the sun if it isn't quite pliable. Remove the plastic surround containing the glass, and the anything that has fallen out should be obvious.

As for the fuel gauge, I thought most were like that. Full for circa 160km, before dropping to around 2/3, then wavering around between there and 1/3 depending on the attitude of the car, before dropping into the Diamond Triangle, reading emptyish with a bit of wavering as it approaches empty.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information