WTB: Coolant level sensor 205 GTI (s2)
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTB: Coolant level sensor 205 GTI (s2)

Hi,

Advertisement

Looking for a coolant level sensor for a S2 205 gti (top of expasion tank) in working order.

I found mine was stuffed too, but managed to repair it after I realised it was made of unobtainium.

Cut along the line at the bottom where the cap is "welded" to the body (both plastic) and extract the doodad inside (might be stuck, but don't give up, clean, wash and go at it with all solvents tame and feral around the house, perhaps short of caustic soda) and it'll come out.

Clean, polish, re-assembly. I actually left the bottom cap off IIRC (maybe not, but you'll see once you clean and repair if it can be left off or not).

Good luck.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Someone might be interested:

It just happens that the coolant level sensor for an S2 (part no 130624) is still available from Peugeot. Not cheap though ($80).

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I actually left the bottom cap off IIRC (maybe not, but you'll see once you clean and repair if it can be left off or not).

Good luck.
    Probably not a good idea to leave the bottom of the unit unsealed.
    Removed the similar sensor from a 205 Si radiator only to find that the bottom had come off and the white sensor bead was now happily swimming around in the top radiator tank.

Looking into making up an alternative warning system but it would probably have to be stand-alone as could be difficult to satisfy requirements of ECU.
    Some talk about certain systems setting up corrosion which could be a problem with the radiator mounted sensor of the Si but maybe ok with the remote mounted sensor in the GTi (or does mine have a 405 remote tank?)

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

“Corners: radar free zones.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

My car has a sender in the expansion bottle with a couple of wires that go to the dash warning light, not the ECU.

This sender is pretty much like a toilet float only in a cylindrical housing. The float looks like a styrofoam ring but has a magnetic ring at the bottom, and slides up and down on a metallic rod, perhaps an induction coil core or similar. This assembly is housed in a plastic cylindrical casing, with the bottom cap glued/welded on. I took the bottom out and cleaned everything inside. I replaced the little float and put a rubber o-ring which was tight enough on the metallic rod/core to stop the float coming off at the bottom. This only happens if your coolant level drops way beyond the point where the warning light comes on. Of course, if the float comes off, the warning light doesn't come on (by default is off), so it's an undesirable situation.
    Mine worked perfectly ever since I fixed it, the little o-ring is checked every now and then, but doesn't seem interested in coming off.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

My car has a sender in the expansion bottle with a couple of wires that go to the dash warning light, not the ECU. .
    Sounds like the same thing. The Si has a smaller less complicated overflow bottle and the same temperature sensor is mounted in the top tank of the radiator near the alternator.

The wiring from sensor to dash light could be direct but I'm thinking there would have to be some sort of connection to ECU so that warning lights come on when ignition is switched on.
    At the moment one Si has the sender out of action and no light comes on with the ignition. The other Si has a "lazy" sensor which sometimes indicates low level when everything is ok. On that car the light comes on when the ignition is switched on.

Haven't seen a light come on , on the GTi Mi16 at any time but it would have been very handy to have on a couple of occasions when it has lost connections ( frayed alternator belt ripped connection from bottom of radiator) and lost coolant,( bleed valve missing in action, punctured radiator.)

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

“Corners: radar free zones.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Makotrac 205 GTi 06-05-2012 best lap 1 min 20 sec.

The Si I bought as a wreck had the radiator destroyed but still there. It didn't have the sender in the radiator, possibly the radiator had been changed with a non genuine part and sender never reinstalled.

There is no need for the wiring to go through the ECU. Mine doesn't come on when I switch the ignition on if coolant level is okay. If it comes on at any time, it is because the coolant is low and it's not going to go off until I top up.

Your "lazy" sender might be because the central shaft the float slides on is grubby (covered with muck form coolant). I found mine in a similar state. Once cleaned, the float moves up and down freely and is very quick to react when cornering enthusiastically if coolant is just above level judging by the flashing action I see on the dash.

Bite the bullet, pull it off, and give it a clean, you'll be happy you did it.

Thread Information