R4 Fuel Pump/kit
  • Help

Default R4 Fuel Pump/kit

G'day guys...the fuel pump in my R4 van is pretty cactus. Can anyone point me in the direction of a new pump or repair kit, in particular the diaphram. It is a '5 bolt' top (therefore 5 holes in the diaphram mounting). Also, for another very early R4, I need a complete new piston/liner/rebuild kit. That one is a ground-up resto.
    Cheers, Mark...0417884440

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    G'day guys...the fuel pump in my R4 van is pretty cactus. Can anyone point me in the direction of a new pump or repair kit, in particular the diaphram. It is a '5 bolt' top (therefore 5 holes in the diaphram mounting). Also, for another very early R4, I need a complete new piston/liner/rebuild kit. That one is a ground-up resto.
    Cheers, Mark...0417884440

Hi Mark, you rang me today and I said I'd have a look because I thought I saw a kit in one of the boxes down the back.
    I found it but I don't think its right for you so I thought I'd put it to the experts.
    For starters it has for a 9 bolt top, it has the part number 08 54 313 200 and I can't find that number anywhere. I think its R10/12 but not sure.

I find it amusing that it has the "Pieces Renault pieces d'origine" sticker on it but its made by AC Delco which is owned by General Motors.
    People whinge about modern Renaults with Nissan parts.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Hi Mark, you rang me today and I said I'd have a look because I thought I saw a kit in one of the boxes down the back.
    I found it but I don't think its right for you so I thought I'd put it to the experts.
    For starters it has for a 9 bolt top, it has the part number 08 54 313 200 and I can't find that number anywhere. I think its R10/12 but not sure.

I find it amusing that it has the "Pieces Renault pieces d'origine" sticker on it but its made by AC Delco which is owned by General Motors.
    People whinge about modern Renaults with Nissan parts.
    Thanks David...I'll buy the 9 bolt kit from you anyway...I seem to have more 9 bolt pumps than anything else in the parts bin! So at least I can renovate one of them. I'll call you tomorrow.

it has the part number 08 54 313 200
    This diaphragm kit is for the AC brand fuel pump fitted to the R4/8/10.

Mark, the above kit will only suit an AC type fuel pump (AC is marked on the pump), with a slotted pushrod for the diaphragm so just check what you may have in your spares basket. Most of the pumps fitted to the R4 are either SEV (with a bucket shaped filter cover) or Guiot (with a conical shaped filter cover).

If you do have an AC pump, it is also good to replace the valves, as more often than not it is these that are worn. I've got some valves for the AC pump if needed. Also I've got a new Italian manufactured Supra brand (so not pieces d'orgine Renault) pump also if needed.

For the piston liner set, unless the usual suspects in AUS have one, my thoughts would be a Euro supplier, so somewhere like Mecaparts. Also when buying a set, make sure you have the early type fully floating 14mm gudgeon pins (unless your motor has been retro fitted with the later interference fit 16mm gudgeon pins) and that the kit you are buying has the gudgeon pins size you require. Also make sure the liners will suit the early copper liner seal block (again if your motor is an early copper liner seal block).
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

Mark, the above kit will only suit an AC type fuel pump (AC is marked on the pump), with a slotted pushrod for the diaphragm so just check what you may have in your spares basket. Most of the pumps fitted to the R4 are either SEV (with a bucket shaped filter cover) or Guiot (with a conical shaped filter cover).

If you do have an AC pump, it is also good to replace the valves, as more often than not it is these that are worn. I've got some valves for the AC pump if needed. Also I've got a new Italian manufactured Supra brand (so not pieces d'orgine Renault) pump also if needed.

For the piston liner set, unless the usual suspects in AUS have one, my thoughts would be a Euro supplier, so somewhere like Mecaparts. Also when buying a set, make sure you have the early type fully floating 14mm gudgeon pins (unless your motor has been retro fitted with the later interference fit 16mm gudgeon pins) and that the kit you are buying has the gudgeon pins size you require. Also make sure the liners will suit the early copper liner seal block (again if your motor is an early copper liner seal block).

Thanks for that Simon, now tell me you knew all that off the top of your head didn't you.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks heaps Simon...I'll go and have a look through the box. thanks also for the piston/liner info...I'll measure the gudgeons. Are new rods expensive? I want to make sure the engine will be, to all intents and purposes, brand new.

OK...all the old spare pumps are 8 bolt SEV types (thanks again Simon). The gudgeons appear to be 14mm and are held in by wire circlips either side. How does one tell if the block is the copper liner seal type? (The R4 in question came with the engine in bits).
    Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for that Simon, now tell me you knew all that off the top of your head didn't you.
    Um, I'm a sad individual when it comes to the R4, the parts catalogue is embedded in my head :-). Most of it was from memory, the only thing I looked up was the PR698 manual to check the part number and the models that it suits.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT
    The gudgeons appear to be 14mm and are held in by wire circlips either side. How does one tell if the block is the copper liner seal type? (The R4 in question came with the engine in bits).
    I had to check this in the parts catalogue to get the exact numbers :-). All the Australian delivered cars will have the copper liner seals. However there appear to have been more than a few of the later cars privately imported, where the body has rusted away, but the motor has lived on for a bit longer in the earlier model cars.

Engine numbers of the copper liner seal motors:

750cc, Type 680-02 up to engine number 1029535
    850cc, Type 800-01 up to engine number 680821.

The 850cc liners will fit the 750 block. With the motor, I found it doesn't take a lot for them to sing nicely, a nice balance job, and matched ports and they perform quite nicely, nicely for an 850cc motor. The top speed is basically limited by the low gearing of the three speed 'box, but they will easily sit on the 100km/h legal limit for hours on end, but supply passengers with earplugs.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

supply passengers with earplugs.
    His wife is more used to shouting instructions than listening to them anyway

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    His wife is more used to shouting instructions than listening to them anyway

KB
    Thanks Kevin!! Very good....but these days we actually have intercoms... The shouting instructions these days only relates to getting me out of the shed to mow the bloody lawns...
    Thanks Simon...you are a walking encyclopedia. Much appreciated.

Thread Information