505 project.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 project.

VIP Sponsor

Default 505 project.

I started this project with great enthusiasm but now realise that I just have too many projects (see thread on selling excess 205s!) and my heart really lies with the rally 205, I need to concentrate on getting this and myself as competitive as possible (time moves on!) rather than spreading myself too thinly and achieving less as a result.
    I can keep this 505 and use later on but would also like some money to spend on MCA suspension for the 205 so it can handle the outback conditions the 505 is being built for !

Advertisement

The car is together and drivable but has an engine rattle and needs another GTi engine (supplied) to be fitted.

Happy to sell as parts (car with welded in cage is 1 part) but a discount available if you buy the lot.

I paid as follows:

505 GR straight rust free. Light blue paint in OK condition Power steering and GTI BA7/5 fitted $300
    Quaife diff centre, unused in box $900
    Welded in cage by Brown Davis $2200 I have applied for CAMS log book and photos of cage have been supplied so when the car is finished and log booked the cage will comply, new regulations come into force this year.
    Plastic tank mounted in boot, $300 for work to achieve this.
    Hand made Bilstein shocks, works spec springs, poly bushes, solid rear X-member mounts $1800
    4 new Silverstone rally tyres $600
    10 505 GTi wheels $300
    New clutch $200
    New steering ram and tie rod ends and boots $250
    2 inch low restriction exhaust $250
    505 GTi front seats $100
    Battery mounted on rear floor, fuel lines inside with new hoses.
    Megasquirt 1 fitted, with proper loom. (engine going well albeit with the rattle, has modified camshaft) $300
    Lots of other stuff spent like two sets of new radiator hoses.

Total $7200, would take $5000 or offer, don't forget most of this stuff is unused.

Otherwise as long as someone wants the car with cage and tank I am happy to sell everything else seperately. Obviously some of the things fitted at the moment like MS and exhaust would need to be paid for but basic stuff would be included.
    I also have a heap things like headlights, new indicators, diffs, rack, rear suspension assemblies, driveshafts, and a set of new front Konis and new rear Decarbons.
    However, the body with cage needs to move first or I'll keep everything for future use.

In my opinion would make a great outback, or navigational event rally car with GTi engine (would take very little money and a few weeks work to get into this state, or fit a V6 for classic rallying, add a turbo or two for a track weapon.
    Open to any offers or ideas.

Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 2nd January 2012 at 12:53 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I started this project with great enthusiasm but now realise that I just have too many projects (see thread on selling excess 205s!) and my heart really lies with the rally 205, I need to concentrate on getting this and myself as competitive as possible (time moves on!) rather than spreading myself too thinly and achieving less as a result.
    I can keep this 505 and use later on but would also like some money to spend on MCA suspension for the 205 so it can handle the outback conditions the 505 is being built for !

The car is together and drivable but has an engine rattle and needs another GTi engine (supplied) to be fitted.

Happy to sell as parts (car with welded in cage is 1 part) but a discount available if you buy the lot.

I paid as follows:

505 GR straight rust free. Light blue paint in OK condition Power steering and GTI BA7/5 fitted $300
    Welded in cage by Brown Davis $2200 I have applied for CAMS log book and photos of cage have been supplied so when the car is finished and log booked the cage will comply, new regulations come into force this year.
    Hand made Bilstein shocks, works spec springs, poly bushes, solid rear X-member mounts $1800
    10 505 GTi wheels $300
    New clutch $200
    505 GTi front seats $100
    Megasquirt 1 fitted, with proper loom. (engine going well albeit with the rattle, has modified camshaft) $300

Total $7200, would take $5000 or offer, don't forget most of this stuff is unused.

Otherwise as long as someone wants the car with cage and tank I am happy to sell everything else seperately. Obviously some of the things fitted at the moment like MS and exhaust would need to be paid for but basic stuff would be included.
    I also have a heap things like headlights, new indicators, diffs, rack, rear suspension assemblies, driveshafts, and a set of new front Konis and new rear Decarbons.
    However, the body with cage needs to move first or I'll keep everything for future use.

In my opinion would make a great outback, or navigational event rally car with GTi engine (would take very little money and a few weeks work to get into this state, or fit a V6 for classic rallying, add a turbo or two for a track weapon.

Graham
    Photos added
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 project.-505-1.jpg   505 project.-505-2.jpg   505 project.-505-3.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

Default No interest?

My potential buyer just rang to say his new engine was going to cost a lot of money so he had to withdraw his interest in the 505.
    I guess I will just have to be more organised so I can fit this project in, it would help if somone has an excellent condition ZDJL for sale, these things might be reliable but I can't find anything worth installing and as I said I have time problems with all the projects and also having to organise a big rally in May so this puts me off doing a rebuild.
    I do want to get it going reliably for the Classic Outback Trial in August.
    Have space problems as well so still have the 1994 S3 205 for sale $3000 or offer or even the 1951 203 rally car $5000, this has more special parts and modifications than you can poke a stick at, CAMS logbooked.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Graham, give me a call abojut the motor you need.

The one i have is excellent.
    Adrian Wuillemin

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post

I paid as follows:

10 505 GTi wheels $300
    New clutch $200
    505 GTi front seats $100

Graham
    Car is finished and did its first event last night.
    The suspension was superb, handling just right and the Douvrin had plenty of grunt.
    Trouble is even with the 203 rally car now gone I really don't want to work on 2 cars and would still prefer to concentrate on the 205.
    So, for one day only the 505 is again offered, same price, $5000 but for this you get a good engine that has been dynoed over what was on offer before but now the Quaife is extra.
    It now has a CAMS logbook and all equipment including a sump guard.
    10 GTi mags with road tyres and 4 unmarked Rally Tyres.
    This is a huge saving over doing this yourself.
    Offer closes tomorrow evening as I have to start preparing it or the 205 for another rally next weekend.
    Graham

VIP Sponsor

Default Offer time expired

OK, no interest so I will continue on.
    Just as well, way too much time and money to let go for $5000.
    Graham

Thread Information