Free to good home - JBL speakers to suit 205
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Free to good home - JBL speakers to suit 205

Took the JBL speakers out of the car in a weight reduction effort. Free to good home. There's two of them in working order (as far as I know), model number GTO527.

Advertisement

Pick up only from lower northern beaches in Syd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free to good home - JBL speakers to suit 205-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312359335.495297.jpg  
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how sad is that

a lowly 205 gets better speakers than the upmarket 605
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Pretty certain these weren't standard!
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Free.... If they are still on offer, I'll take them and put them in one of the cars.

Jo

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Beat me by that much Jo.

That's a pretty good deal you got there, Jo. JBL is good gear.

Incidentally, there can't be many people who managed to put their name to two different top class companies in one industry. I can think of two: Ransom E Olds and James B Lansing.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Free.... If they are still on offer, I'll take them and put them in one of the cars.

Jo
    Sold! (so to speak). Will sort out something for delivery, either I'll pop up your way and find a mutually agreeable spot on the way to McCarrs Creek Rd or you can come down to Balgowlah area for pickup.
    1992 205 Si

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Sold! (so to speak). Will sort out something for delivery, either I'll pop up your way and find a mutually agreeable spot on the way to McCarrs Creek Rd or you can come down to Balgowlah area for pickup.
    Thank you , langers.

PM sent.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    That's a pretty good deal you got there, Jo. JBL is good gear.

Incidentally, there can't be many people who managed to put their name to two different top class companies in one industry. I can think of two: Ransom E Olds and James B Lansing.

Roger
    Having worked in Professional Cinema Audio in the 70's and into the Lucas Film/THX Dolby Era I still have an interest in both Altec Lansing and JBL! (and in the THX Era EV (Electrovoice))

Here is link giving some insight into the James B Lansing and his company for those that share my interest.
    http://www.jblpro.com/company/history/index.html

Here is link to Altec Lansing history - http://www.audioheritage.org/html/hi...altec-1963.htm

JBL wrote the book on professional speakers...the compression driver they made for the first talkies is still the basis of what is used in pro pa's as are their 4" edgewound voicecoil woofers...they peaked in the 1970's and the 1980's the beancounters came in and demanded ceramic rather than alnico magnets...4 times the weight and half the price....m 1970s 4412 studio monitors are still the go

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    JBL wrote the book on professional speakers...the compression driver they made for the first talkies is still the basis of what is used in pro pa's as are their 4" edgewound voicecoil woofers...they peaked in the 1970's and the 1980's the beancounters came in and demanded ceramic rather than alnico magnets...4 times the weight and half the price....m 1970s 4412 studio monitors are still the go
    Actually Western Electric wrote the book on compression driver and multi cellar horns. They were using electrodynamic (powered magnet) versions of the Altec bass drivers and Altec compression drivers. These were used in the 40's and marketed under the Westrex badge. (I worked on and upgraded this stuff, which was valve powered with KT88S AND 6L6s)

Lansing Manufacturing built the Shearer Horn system, conceived by Douglas Shearer from MGM. John Hilliard from MGM took the design to Lansing to build. There were a real winner for MGM and for Lansing Manufacturing. This was mid 30's.

Altec purchased what remained of Western Electric Speaker business and staff and engineers in 1937 and later purchased Lansing Manufacturing who were in financial difficulties in 1941 mainly to acquire the manufacturing facilities. Altec's chief engineer was Alvis Ward who cut his teeth with Western Electric. This was the birth of Altec Lansing.

Altec Lansing were a big player in Cinema Audio from then on well into the 70's. They built the A7, A8, A4, A2 speaker systems and components, pioneered alinico magnets (I worked for the Australia importers in the 70's) They also built crowd warning systems Altec "Giant Voice"

James B Lansing Split with Altec Lansing 1946 and restarted his speaked manufacturing under the name of JBL!.

So in fact Altec Lansing and JBL! were both collaborators and competition at different times.

However Altec-Lansing developed the 416/515 series of bass driver and 807/808/288 series of compression drivers. Altec Lansing at that time was mainly ex Western Electric staff and engineers.

Lansing after his break from Altec Lansing built look a likes of the Altec Lansing series initially, but later did some very original work on constant directivity horns and coaxial stuff.

True Western Electric were first but JBL brought in smaller stuff in 1933. The Altec 416 compred to a K140 JBL just couldn't keep up with the demands of live music...the 416s would die in a bass amp (3" voice coil), whereas a K140 was indestructable, and the Altec horns couldnt take the punishment either, whereas a JBL 2440 with a 4" voice coil was happily reproducing 90% of the rock PAs in the world, and is still the basis of most pro compression drivers with a small change in the phase plug design. The JBLs took things the original designers wouldn have dreamed of, and the only real update in the 70's was the glue and the kapton rather than cardboard voice coil former. I still use some K series JBLs in my PA business (they have been reconed tho as 30+ years minimum would be an ask for the cardboard cones, and the aluminium wire in the coils corroded)

http://www.audioheritage.org/
    Last edited by stuartb; 4th August 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    True Western Electric were first but JBL brought in smaller stuff in 1933. The Altec 416 compred to a K140 JBL just couldn't keep up with the demands of live music...the 416s would die in a bass amp (3" voice coil), whereas a K140 was indestructable, and the Altec horns couldnt take the punishment either, whereas a JBL 2440 with a 4" voice coil was happily reproducing 90% of the rock PAs in the world, and is still the basis of most pro compression drivers with a small change in the phase plug design. The JBLs took things the original designers wouldn have dreamed of, and the only real update in the 70's was the glue and the kapton rather than cardboard voice coil former. I still use some K series JBLs in my PA business (they have been reconed tho as 30+ years minimum would be an ask for the cardboard cones, and the aluminium wire in the coils corroded)

http://www.audioheritage.org/
    I can see there is some confusion. If you said JBL! had the edge into LIVE sound, I must agree they were streets ahead, along with Electrovoice, from 60's on.

Cinema sound lagged behind in that era. Only to catch up when Lucas Film THX certification was introduced and used JBL! and Electrovoice components.

Altec never really moved past the multi cellar horns with compression drivers and winged bass boxes with outdated drivers and passive cross-over. These were OK for the 50's but well and truly outdated in the 60's.

Wrong forum guys......

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Wrong forum guys......
    Quite right!

I hope you can feel my knuckles stinging!

Certain flaws are necessary for the whole. It would seem strange if old friends lacked certain quirks. Goethe

Well, I started the digression and I did so hoping people like Rob and Stuart, who know way more about this stuff than I do, would enter the discussion and they did. It's one of the best things about Aussiefrogs, that the thread titles do not always bear close relationship to the contents. Quirky, like our cars.

Anyway, langers and Jo had sorted it out before we got going, so where is the problem? If anything, we are talking up langers' product.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Anyway, langers and Jo had sorted it out before we got going, so where is the problem? If anything, we are talking up langers' product.

Roger
    Dont tak them up too much, I have not picked them up yet.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Dont tak them up too much, I have not picked them up yet.

Jo
    So I can still beat you to the pot?

I agree with Roger.

It would be really boring if we didn't have these sidetracking discussions. What would we do, talk about cars?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information