WTD: 405 Mi16 XU9 race engine/parts
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTD: 405 Mi16 XU9 race engine/parts

Hi all,

Just wondering if people have any bits they don't want/need anymore. I am rebuilding my XU9 Mi16 over the next year for a race car.

Cheers,
    Nick

Advertisement

I have a whole Series 2 MI16 that I am just about to start wrecking. Welcome to take the whole thing cheap if wanted. Wont sart and not sure why

Hey Valentia,

I forgot to mention, I had a 405 Mi16 donar car which I have now passed on. So I am just after ideas and options for modifing the engine with out ordering new parts from the UK.

Cheers,
    Nick

The XU9J4 is already a great base. You don't need to add much to make a race engine. Just add cams, compression and throttle bodies for 200hp. Obviously it needs to be built correctly. Buy some TB's from the UK like Cam85 is buying.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Throttle bodies - oh yeah.

Peter is on the money. Even with a fairly complex intake manifold on the Mi16, the throttle bodies make a huge difference!

I spent about 5 hours putting the extractors on my Mi16 on Saturday, not certain what difference (if any) they will really make, but they certainly look the goods.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Hey all,

I had planned on running individual throttle bodies from a motorcycle as well as using E85 fuel. I had a target of as close to 250bhp however using a cost effective solution. At some point I have to make a compromise. Thats why I was seeing if anyone had spares.

Cheers,
    Nick

For that hp from E85 you'll need 12+:1 and 8000+ RPM, and it's far easier to do with 2L rather than 1.9L. I was going to run E85 race fuel, but the convenience of filling up at the local Caltex convinced me to stay at 11.5:1. If you aren't necessarily concerned about <2000cc classes consider something like this:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...74000&hl=Stage

Note the increase in hp from switching throttle bodies near the end. They're the TB's Cam85 has just purchased for <$1200 delivered.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I haven't seen cam85's post, but if you are looking for Jenvey TB's go direct, not through their local agent. Price will wind up the same, but I have had bad experiences with the local agent (Melbourne) and only good experiences with Jenvey in the UK. Also take some advice from Peter on injector size. I think he runs injectors from a 2.6L Magna?
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

The TB's I'm talking about are custom, made by Colin Satchell in the UK. In the 205 post above, there's some pics on page 58 and 67 worth looking at. Note that they're an 8 injector setup and the price includes manifold. Also read top of p62 about previous tb's, then compare before/after bhp figures. I've got EFI Hardware 48mm tb's with 390cc injectors, but I'd much rather a set of Colin's with two pairs of Mi16 injectors. Unfortunately my Autronic doesn't do staging.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

That thread sounds unreal! I really like that idea but I already have a 1.9L Mi16. And I get the impression you essentially need a 2.0L XU10 with a 406 diesel crank + TB's, ECU etc

I will have to do some more research as he produced 240bhp on standard fuel + forged pistons + TB's + ECU at less than 7,000rpm, which is nothing to snicker at.

I was planning to build my own manifold and having the TB's as vertical as possible, obviously needing a bonnet scoop.

I have a new 1.00mm copper gasket to suit 83.50mm bore. You'll need that if you're going to o-ring the head and fit big valves. $120.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I will continue down the path of trying to decide what I want to do and eventually post something in technical/projects.

Thank you all for your help thus far!

Nick

Thread Information