206 gti 180 rear beam axle
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206 gti 180 rear beam axle

Hi,

Advertisement

I've had a 206 gti 180 for about 6 weeks. The cars started making creaking and squeaking sounds from the rear end in the 2nd week. I've taken it to 3 mechanics who could not find the problem.

I've since taken it to Pedders who said the sound is coming from the rear beam axle and that the trailing arm bearing is worn. They can't find parts for a fix. As I understand that standard practice would be to replace the entire rear beam assembly. I've spoken to another two mechanics who can't seem to find a replacement.

Does anyone know where can I get a used, refurbed or new replacement rear end for one of these cars?

Tadpole

Have you tried Ebay in the UK.
    I have found parts to be cheap over there plus with the Air freight included.
    I bought 2 wishbones plus fitting for my 206 GTI for less that i could buy 1 in OZ.
    If you need more information PM me

2001 206 GTI 2.0 16v.
    2001 206 GTI 2.0 16v

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by crembz View Post
    Hi,

I've had a 206 gti 180 for about 6 weeks. The cars started making creaking and squeaking sounds from the rear end in the 2nd week. I've taken it to 3 mechanics who could not find the problem.

I've since taken it to Pedders who said the sound is coming from the rear beam axle and that the trailing arm bearing is worn. They can't find parts for a fix. As I understand that standard practice would be to replace the entire rear beam assembly. I've spoken to another two mechanics who can't seem to find a replacement.

Does anyone know where can I get a used, refurbed or new replacement rear end for one of these cars?
    The trouble is that both the places that are likely to supply these parts don't have Peugeot in their names!
    The result is that people like Pedders don't know where to look. It is amazing the number of people that ring me for late model parts up even though I'm listed in AF as a supplier for the early stuff. Not one call for early stuff though!!!!
    Try European Auto Imports or Caravelle Imports, both in Box Hill.
    Actually being less than 10 years old PAA should have to carry parts by law.
    I would hate to think of the price though.
    Graham

Thanks for that. Do you know if the rear beam of a standard 206 will fit a gti 180? As I understand the gti 180 has torsion bars, disc brakes and stiffer shocks which can be fitted to the standard 206 read beam assembly. Is this correct?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by crembz View Post
    Thanks for that. Do you know if the rear beam of a standard 206 will fit a gti 180? As I understand the gti 180 has torsion bars, disc brakes and stiffer shocks which can be fitted to the standard 206 read beam assembly. Is this correct?
    I believe they have extra control arms as well, at least that is what the road tests said.
    I'm surprised you are having trouble the 205s are just giving trouble now and are twice as old.
    Graham

I'm also surprised, I'm guessing the previous owner must have taken a pot hole fairly hard (the car also had a buckled rim) which may have caused the damage. The worn bearing is also on one side only ... my understanding is that generally both sides will start showing wear at roughly the same time.

Tadpole

Graham
    I thought it was 7 yeqrs.
    But you know how these people work, NOT
    2001 206 GTI 2.0 16v

Thread Information