Timing Light
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Timing Light

Fellow Frogger!

Default Timing Light

Hi

If any one has a good timing light for static and dynamic timimg and they would like to get sell it, please send me a PM.

If it comes with instructions it better as I've never used on before.

Regards

Alan

Advertisement

Don't buy one that has a neon light inside.....they're utterly pathetic. You can tell them by the fact that they plug in, in series with a spark plug lead, and have no lead/clip going to the battery.

The type to go for are the ones which have 2 leads that go to the battery terminals, and a clip which clips onto the OUTSIDE of a spark plug lead ( it picks up current by induction).
    This type have a strong flash and in fact have a little bulb in them which is the same as a camera flash bulb or a strobe bulb
    Last edited by Beano; 14th July 2011 at 02:53 PM.

1000+ Posts

Ditto to that.

There are some that use a couple of D cell batteries and only have a single lead to the inductive pick-up that clamps the sparkplug lead. They have the advantage that they don't have too many wires running off the light that can get caught in the fan or other spinning bits. Its also handy if you work on rear engined cars where the battery is in the front and the positive terminal on the starter is under the manifold The disadvantage is that as a TL is used so infrequently the batteries are usually flat when you come to need them. My approach is to use rechargeables and take them out when the tune up is done.

These can be found on ebay for under $100

http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/_W0QQ_...sid=m270.l1313

P

P
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 11th July 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

I've bought two good-quality timing lights in garage sales for less than $5 each.
    They get used so infrequently that they aren't in any danger of wearing out.
    Buy one secondhand through Trading Post, Cash Converters (just phone around for availability/price)
    or the Saturday paper.
    I bought a third one for $2 at the Sunday markets, but the bulb was blown (must have been dropped), so I went to an opportunity shop and bought an old-style flash camera for $2 and ripped out the flash bulb......soldered it in place, and it worked fine !
    I'd give you one, but I'm living overseas now.

Hi guys,
    Another option is to clip the timing light leads to a 12 volt rechargeable drill battery to overcome the problem of long wire to front battery.

Cheers,
    Henry

Thread Information