Wanted: 404 diff (or two...)
  • Register
  • Help

Wanted: 404 diff (or two...)

I'm particularly after a '65/'66 404 diff centre and axles to suit (axles could be from 1960 to 1966).

0411 280 267

Advertisement

Ray, heading out to the training lease again this w/end for the last time this year. Hopefully this time the owner will show and I can try to arrange that 404 to pop out of the ditch where it is currently sitting upside down. Owner wants to sell property in the next 18 mths so should be keen to clean up the creek bed. Ill let you know. However having just spoken to another trainer from the club he believes that the car is there as erosion control and therefore may not be for removal. Should still be able to canabalize some bits though.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Looking forward to some news there, cruiserman... really keen to know what model that is.

The casting of the axle tube on the RH side (from memory) will have the year of manufacture, which can broadly be taken as the year prior to sale.

Ask Sean to check the wreckers where i got ovlov dizzy from. They had an early 404 sedan ready to be cubed. Got no idea what the diff would be like or if the cars still there?

cheers!
    andrew
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    yep

going to check that out tomorrow

also while on the subject, if someone wants a 70' model 404 wagon with cancer but low mileage let me know
    it's cheap
    2 figure prive tag attached
    otherwise it's going to be scrap

PM me or send me an email or call 0427 756 851
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

2 pugs:
    Ask Sean to check the wreckers where i got ovlov dizzy from. They had an early 404 sedan ready to be cubed. Got no idea what the diff would be like or if the cars still there?
    Yeah, I looked at that car many months ago, but at the time they didn't want to break it up... or I would have had the diff long ago!

Sean thought he'd told me that they were going to dispose of it, but I'm sure he didn't, hope I haven't missed out!

I'd be wanting the whole assembly from that car if it's still there... torque tube to drums.

VIP Sponsor
    Ray,
    This diff is fairly uncommon these days. I have a few early diffs and more importantly late diffs which will bolt straight in, and yes I have drum to drum for $100. Is there any reason why you need the 65/66 diff?
    Just checked, I have a 65/66 worm wheel in good condition.

Graham Wallis

The intermediate model has the large bronze wheel and the smaller axles... that's why I need the axles.

My car is a '69/'70 model, but that later diff seems to be less user-friendly than the '65/'66 diff.

You still need another 4.11 505 diff?

VIP Sponsor
    Ray,
    In what way is it more user friendly?
    Less surge maybe, the later ones are a lot stronger and more reliable.
    I have plenty of early axles if you find a centre on its own and of course the worm wheel. I may yet find a complete diff if I look hard enough.
    No need for a 505 diff but I need a driveshaft ASAP, ie today!
    Graham Wallis

Sorry, I'm two weeks away from the spare I have...

The worm and wheel of the '66/'66 diff is, I'm sure, pretty much the same size as that of the later unit. But it does seem to be more reliable, I've seen some odd later ones and I think I have one now.

Jack Nelson always reckoned the later ones tended to become ovalled.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i've heard that but with all the 404 diffs i have used have never come across one yet that was out of round
    there may have been a batch that did
    never seen one yet though
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

There's a huge vibration with this one at speed...

VIP Sponsor
    Maybe the bolts have come loose.
    The late diff worm wheel is wider but the same diameter as the one you are after.
    Most of the early (C3 gearbox) cars were scrapped years ago when they were weren't as old as the later model cars in existance today. This is probably why you remember the early diffs as being better.

Graham Wallis

Actually, the reverse is true...

Jack Nelson's been dead for about 20 years, he made the comment well before he died. So they would have been newer...

Most of my experience with 404s was before that time too, this is the only 404 I've driven in about 18 years.

It's not a matter of old, it's a matter of out of shape or something.

Now, when you say the bolts may have come loose, which bolts do you mean? Those holding the sideplates on the bronze wheel? This last model diff had the biggest bolts of all there... very fine threads, they shouldn't come loose... but I'm prepared to examine the issue.

VIP Sponsor
    Yes, those bolts. They usually come loose in 403s circa 1960, I replaced a diff in a 403 last week after a bolt had come completely loose and fallen into the works.
    However, I have seen a couple of later ones with this problem.

Graham Wallis

To be honest, the only diff I've ever had fail in a Pug was in an early 203C. It spat a couple of bolts, but held on till I got back over the mountains and home again.

The late diffs I've seen in trouble have all been in cars I've bought.

When you dismantle a late diff (ribbed housing model) you find more pitting etc than in the earlier ones. This allied with Jack's comments about some going out of round, and my present suspicions, is plenty of reason for me to conclude that I want the '65/'66 model.

That the axles are lighter is probably a bonus...

My 403 diff is just about stuffed. It whines and has a terrible amount of slack in it. I amlucky that I have a spare now. Just have to put it in.
    Is it OK to use 90 weight synthetic oil in them?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Early 403 diff?

I just picked up what looks like quite a good one of those.

I wouldn't use non-vegetable oil myself... I don't trust oil companies that much.

Default wheel to wheel rear end

Ray et al, in the course of starting the ute rebuild, I've just scrapped out a very rusty late sedan that had been under an apple tree in Lakesland orchard for many years. The complete rear end is available in a possible swap for a ute diff?.

Phil... I'll be in your territory over the next couple of days...

Would a deal involving a 504 wagon diff be better?

There will be other things that might interest me, I'm sure...

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Phil... I'll be in your territory over the next couple of days...

Would a deal involving a 504 wagon diff be better?

There will be other things that might interest me, I'm sure...
    Today I discovered that I have a 65/66 diff in reasonable condition, I also have the small fine spline axles.

Graham Wallis

Default 404 diffs

Ray : we had a 504 diff in it but it broke the spline. Where the locking washer had been peaned over it had started a radial crack which eventually gave way. It would be a worthwhile swap if you are interested. E mail me ( you have the addres) when you might be here.
    Regards
    PJW

Is that 404 diff the same as a 403B? If so I have a good 403B diff that probably will be surplus to requirements, as I am probably fitting a 1960 403 box and diff with overdrive.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403
    Is that 404 diff the same as a 403B? If so I have a good 403B diff that probably will be surplus to requirements, as I am probably fitting a 1960 403 box and diff with overdrive.
    404s until mid 1965 had the same diff as the 403b.

Graham Wallis

Originally posted by Pugnut403
    Graham's right there, Pugnut... but I would suggest that you leave the original diff in for the moment.

I think you'll find that this conversion makes the gearing just about perfect... a nice (real) overdrive, and especially because second gear becomes a really useful event. Third is, of course, the same as the original top... first isn't as low as the original, but still low enough.

It helps if you slip an early 404 flywheel and clutch in at the same time (if you haven't already)... and Graham might make a further comment about this.

For the moment I'm pretty right, I'm hoping cruiserman will come good with something out of his playground eventually. I've picked up a complete rear end in Brisbane and it all depends on what model this one cruiserman can get...

Graham... don't chuck those axles or the diff out without letting me know, all the same. One problem I have is that I don't foresee a trip to Thicktoria in the immediate future.

Thread Information