205 RHS driveshaft - Problem Solved..
  • Register
  • Help

205 RHS driveshaft - Problem Solved..

In some exuberant driving at the racetrack on the weekend, I managed to snap my RHS Mi16 driveshaft in my 205-Mi16

Advertisement

Anyone out there have any spares in good condition?

Cheers
    Steve

<small>[ 03 October 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

Check out <a href="http://www.partslocator.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.partslocator.com.au/</a>
    1993 Series 2 405 Mi16 [MII-16V]

Wow... Was that an Mi16 driveshaft, or a 205? I know the early model 205 drive shafts have a habit of snapping, but the late model 15" shafts are the same diameter as an Mi16. Why do you need the longer Mi16 driveshaft? Could only be if you're using 309 (or longer) wishbones.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hi Peter, good question. The original owner had the Mi16 motor and Mi16 gearbox and when I bought it, he told me it was also running Mi16 driveshafts. Is there any way to tell by looking at it?

Although I knew about the 309 driveshafts being longer, I didn' tknow that the Mi16 driveshafts were longer than 205 ones??

I just got my mechanic to measure the diameter and length - the length was a little difficult to measure as it is in a couple of pieces

Length - 465mm incling outer CV
    Diameter - 25mm

Do you happen to know what the DIAMETER AND LENGTH of a normal 205 one is and/or a Mi16 one and which one I have?

Also does the Mi16 gearbox have any different connection method ie will any of the driveshafts connect into it?

Cheers
    Steve

<small>[ 01 October 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

I have a BX16V RHS drive shaft, which measures 880mm long and 25mm in diameter on the shaft. Early 205 are also 25mm. I didn't think an Mi16 would be that different in length. Measure the hub spline. An early 205 measures 23mm in diameter, late model and Mi16 are 27.8mm.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter you were absolutely correct. I went to the local pug wreckers and they pulled a RHS driveshaft out of a Mi16 and it seemed different in length and certainly was in spline diameter to the one I have (or rather had ) so I'm pretty sure that it is some form of 205 driveshaft.

The weird thing is that they had a 205 outer driveshaft section which I think is from a series-1 - it was the same length as the one I broke and the spline diameters looked similar as well on both ends of that driveshaft section (outer) but when we tried to fit it, the outer spline fitted the hub fine but the inner spline where it joins the inner driveshaft didn't fit - it's like the spline has a different number of teeth or something??

The one I broke has a 23mm diameter spline on the hub-end and a 26mm diameter spline where it joins the inner driveshaft. I also noticed that the one I broke seems a little thicker than the one I got from the wreckers so based on what you were saying, perhaps the one I broke was a from a series 2 and the one I got from the wreckers was a series one - do you know if the join-splines were different?

I'm trying to get it up and running for some racing this weekend and it's not looking promising

Thanks for the advice to date
    Cheers
    Steve

<small>[ 03 October 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

Well, miracles do happen..

I went to the shed last night and opened the box of bits that Jeff had given me when I bought the car and there was one section of a driveshaft sitting at the bottom of the box... and would you believe it.. checked this morning and it was the right part

So, the Pug is back on the road, ready to fight another day/weekend so it's down to the Collie racetrack for some fun this weekend.

Thanks to Peter and others for the advice/help
    Steve

Thread Information