WTB - R12 suspension improvement parts
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon10 WTB - R12 suspension improvement parts

Hello all,

I am from Adelaide

I would like to improve the suspension of my r12, I have read up on the site that there have been different ways in which to improve the suspension.

r17 sway bars
    r12 wagon springs rear.

Someone also pointed out they had fuego shocks springs?

That said any advice would be greatly appreciated but I would like to buy if anyone has:

Rear renault 17 sway bar in good nic and

renault 12 wagon springs in good condition

reply to post or pm me if you have any further info or have any of the items I am looking for.

Cheers

Advertisement

Raf

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by r12raf View Post
    Hello all,

I am from Adelaide

I would like to improve the suspension of my r12, I have read up on the site that there have been different ways in which to improve the suspension.

r17 sway bars
    r12 wagon springs rear.

Someone also pointed out they had fuego shocks springs?

That said any advice would be greatly appreciated but I would like to buy if anyone has:

Rear renault 17 sway bar in good nic and

renault 12 wagon springs in good condition

reply to post or pm me if you have any further info or have any of the items I am looking for.

Cheers

Raf
    Raf
    Welcome to AF.
    i can't help on the techie side of this but why don't you copy this thread to the Tech and performance forum and see if some of the 12 owners who check in there regularly have any ideas
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

I think the handleing is fine how it is. I never modifided any of mine.
    I dont have any of the parts your after.
    Michael
    now Renault-less

1995 Ford Futura V8
    2011 Ssangyong Korando

previous cars;
    81 Sno White R20TS S1
    72 Flame Orange r12 GL sedan
    78 Azure Blue Virage wagon
    75 ghost gum R16 ts
    74 Track blue r12 wagon
    74 Ghost Gum r12 wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Welcome to A/F's.

The fitment of a R15 or R17 front & rear sway bar will reduce body roll considerably & add to the driving enjoyment of the R12. The model which we completed those mods was a 1978 Virage sedan. You may have to go 'after market' for the sway bar bushes, especially the front ones, unless in recent years they have become available again.

Another worthwhile modification is to fit a set of R18 GTS alloy rims. These are about 12mm wider than standard R12 wheel. You will need to check your rear axles to check whether it is a late (as in the S/W type) or earlier to ensure sufficient tyre to wheel arch clearance.

Sorry, cannot comment on the springs issue, as we left ours standard in that area.

Cheers,
    K

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    Welcome to A/F's.

The fitment of a R15 or R17 front & rear sway bar will reduce body roll considerably & add to the driving enjoyment of the R12. The model which we completed those mods was a 1978 Virage sedan. You may have to go 'after market' for the sway bar bushes, especially the front ones, unless in recent years they have become available again.

Another worthwhile modification is to fit a set of R18 GTS alloy rims. These are about 12mm wider than standard R12 wheel. You will need to check your rear axles to check whether it is a late (as in the S/W type) or earlier to ensure sufficient tyre to wheel arch clearance.

Sorry, cannot comment on the springs issue, as we left ours standard in that area.

Cheers,
    K
    All these things will help I think. If you keep the standard springs in the front and put station wagon springs in the rear that will work. Use R17 shocks all round which will improve things as well. R18 rims are steel but look really good with some silver paint on them. I did this mod years ago and put R17 springs in the front that I had to cut down. This turned out to be a bad move. Stick with the standard springs in the front. The front sway bar D bush gets worn enough so it can be used with the thicker sway bar.
    Hope this helps.

Tadpole

Thanks all for your advise.

I will ask around for some r17 shocks as soon as the shops are open.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Default R12 rear bar

G/DAY,
    When we did Karlie's R12 we had the local blacksmith / spring maker copy the rear bar useing 18mm round spring steel insted of the original 12mm , It works a treat, It could do with stiffer back springs though. On the R18 GTS wheels there are alloy ones as i have a set that i got from KIMDEB a couple of years ago they are sitting here in my shed looking for a project to fit them on.

Thread Information