Wanted working CX brake valve
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wanted working CX brake valve

This is the valve which the brake pedal pushes against and can be tricky to get out. A worn valve will return fluid back to the reservoir and on this CX is causing strain on the pump. These valves are sealed so cannot be rebuilt as confirmed by a few in the know. So far we have tried 3 other valves which were worn out too.
    I only want a valve that is known to work or it would be another waste of time and money so just sending a call out there in case anyone has or knows of where to get a good one. Good to see AF back again!

Advertisement

What about UK Pleiades? You would do best to spend a dollar and phone, rather than email.

I nunderstand Dee valves are serviceable, GS as well - as are BX, XM and Xantia. Why would the CX be unassailable?

Thanks Addo, I spoke to Peter Raffles of Pleiades here in Oz and he said they are not rebuildable and a new one from the UK would be around $300-$400 which is reasonable however this is not for my car and this cost is out of the question considering it is surely just one of many parts needed to fix the hydraulics.

I have not until this CX come across such troublesome Cit hydraulics before and it goes to show once again that broad generalisations about CX's do not reflect the truth! The pump has been changed twice, the regulator has been changed three times, the brake valve three times, all accumulators and suspension spheres regassed and rechecked, LHM changed twice..........but regulator cut-in every two seconds and car settles right before your eye after engine switch off. I believe the owner puts the car on high at the servo so that when returning from paying for the fuel the car has settled to normal height!

Addo, can you explain how these valves are rebuildable? Under the rubber valve cover, the one the pedal actually engages, there is a circlip holding the slide valve with spring...after this it is a solid welded body. The only thing I can see is that the other end may screw out but would need a special tool or to have a piece of metal welded to allow it to be unscrewed. But what to do when it is all apart!? If Pleiades refuse to rebuild then who would remachine such a precision part? I don't think it is like a height corrector where you can pull it all apart, fit a new slide valve and seals and it is like new again. It seems to be a complex and inaccessible gallery, a sort of fit and forget thing that would last for well beyond the life of the car.

I am looking to pay somewhere around $50 for a second hand valve that is of known operation.

-Andy

Without being offensively blunt, I would not personally deal with the agent you mention here.

Contact Martin in the UK to see what his price would be. If he refers you back to PR, I have an intermediary who can deal with the UK end.

Are you 100% certain it is not the regulator? Swapping in 30 year old parts is not often going to ameliorate the wear situation unless the parts are known low mileage and have been properly stored. Actual determination of cut-in and cut-out pressures may be a good pointer.

At the brake valve's butt end, is there a wire spring clip - like a circlip but in a recessed groove and with no eyes to grip with the circlip pliers?

FWIW the Xantia style doseurs wear internally, due to slightly shitty cast bodies. You're only talking a few microns, though. I reckon a splash of ATF in the reservoir would possibly help there.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Andy,

I have never had a problem with the brake valve on any CX .................... Are you certain it is your issue. Trying 3 and finding them all no good sounds almost impossible to me .................................................. ...........

I wouldn't mind betting if you put a brand newie in you would find you still have the same probem

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Cheers guys Well the CX will be going to someone with the know how on how to work through this after all. I don't have any pressure testing equipment and Shane is probably right that it isn't the brake valve at all. The GS regulator is currently in this CX so I can say for sure that it is not the regulator and the last two just had fairly minor leaks no doubt brought on from excess use.
    I'll let you know what is discovered and if a brake valve is in fact still needed.
    -Andy

Thread Information