F/S - R16 Cylinder Head Locating Special Tools
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default F/S - R16 Cylinder Head Locating Special Tools

Any interest in these? I am thinking about having them reproduced in the USA. Very light weight - about .6 lbs. - so shipping would only be around $5.00. The more we make, the less expensive they should be. See my post earlier today in the Renault Forum.

sveris

Advertisement
    Last edited by sveris; 19th February 2006 at 05:15 AM. Reason: to add F/S

Tadpole

Default F/S - R16 Head Locating Special Tools

Here is the latest information concerning the tools set.

The two (2) locating dowels will now be made of 416 stainless steel. That way, nobody will have to be concerned about corrosion.

The U-gauge will be a cast out of urethane resin. The prototype was drop tested on concrete about 10 times, and it held up just fine. [I actually dropped it from engine deck height several times, and also tossed it up to about eye level twice.] A picture of the Renault OEM U-gauge and the urethane prototype - shown side by side - is attached to this post.

The reproduction tools will look like the ones pictured in the various Shop Manuals.

FWIW, the Renault OEM locating dowels tool set for later model US Europas is slightly different than the ones for earlier US cars and the rest of the world. Two (2) dowels and two (2) T-handles were supplied, along with a plasticene card showing their in-use positioning during the head locating procedure. These dowels use reverse threads tapped into holes in their opposite ends - to accomplish removal after head positioning. They also have spring-loaded detent balls.

I've elected to reproduce the European/ROW style dowel - with a milled screwdriver slot at the end - since the late model US style would be much costlier. I've always used two (2) dowels, per my Europa Shop Manual [and the illustration on the card], even though illustration in other manuals show only one dowel being used. Two (2) dowels will be supplied with each set of reproduction tools.

The tool sets will also come with copies of both plasticene cards: one for the locating dowels and another one for the U-gauge - both illustrating the tools in use. The delivered price in North America will be $80.00 - perhaps a bit higher for Europe, Australia, etc. They don't weigh very much, so not too much more.

Please let me know if anyone else is interested, since there will be only one screw machine run for the dowels. The U-gauges will be made, one at a time, using a single cavity mold. Also, if anybody needs a set, soon, to reinstall a head - drop me an email. The prototype U-gauge, one of the OEM dowels, and one of the T-handles are being used by one of the Europa Yahoo Group members this weekend.

Regards,

Steve Veris
    1970 S2 Europas

Thread Information