205 8V 145hp Long Engine
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 8V 145hp Long Engine

Reconditioned high performance 1.9L 8V engine. Consists of full floating Mi16 pistons and rods, skimmed head with 3 angle seats, ported and polished, Stage II cam, 10.6:1 CR, reground crank, new rings and bearings, new water pump and timing belt. Opened for inspection, but sold fully assembled. Makes a genuine 108kW/145hp on 98 octane fuel.

Advertisement

$2800

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Peter,

Would you need an aftermarket ECU to run this engine or would the standard Bosch L-jet be able to cope?

Is it still using the standard AFM?

Tempted.

Chipper

It will operate off a std. AFM and ECU, but for best results a modified distributor and/or aftermarket ECU is required. I have an F3 Haltech (fuel only) that I'd be prepared to sell at a bargain price with the engine. I can also offer a modified distributor if required.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Just considering cost and hassle for a 16V transplant versus a straight bolt in engine without having to mod anything.

Can you tell me what had to be done to the dizzy?

How bargain is bargain price for the fuel computer?

PM me if you would prefer Peter, I would also like to know if you would part with your 185 HP 16V before its fitted to the track car....

Chipper

I haven't done the dizzy yet, but it needs stronger springs to slow down the rate of the centrifugal advance.

$3200 for F3, harness, engine and dizzy.

I could be tempted to part with the 16V, but it would cost a lot more than the 8V and it can't use the F3.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Peter,

Can you describe the characteristics of this engine?

I am the kind over driver who prefers plently of torque at the lower rev ranges and don't like to rev an engine unnecessarily high to extract every last drop of power, a nice mix of both torque and power being ideal as far as I am concerned. I guess I am saying I dont want a peaky 108kw @ eleventybillion revs.

Having been privvy to a passenger side squirt in Neils 205 after the 16V and Mi-16 box went in (yes, its been that long since I have been able to get on here ), the fabled "no torque" of the 1.9 twin cam, I reckon it's far less noticable in the 205 shell, and the power at the higher rev's was nice and fat as well, i'd like to replicate those characteristics if I could.

Even though I have been away for a while, I did remember you are the man to see about a hot 8V, and whilst $3200 seems a lot (considering a whole car goes for less than that), as long as this would be a "drop in" affair, its well worth considering if this engine has a nice flat torque curve and can rev a bit harder than the standard jobbie. Given the specs above, i would imagine a safe rev range to, what, 7K rpm and still be safe?

Would the ignition system you have on offer in your other post be compatible with this set up (provided I fit a crank angle sensor), or do you need to run the dizzy?

Just trying to work out an approach here with the fuel and ignition systems.

Any info you can offer me Peter would be, in my mind, worth considering over the 16V conversion if in the future I want to enter the 205 into a sprint event or similar and have a "standard" car

Cheers

Chipper
    Last edited by Chipper; 11th February 2006 at 09:59 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

One other thing, you mention a harness, what series 205 is the engine from?

Should have asked that to start with.....

Cheers

Chipper
    Last edited by Chipper; 11th February 2006 at 10:31 PM.

I'll take the Haltech if it doesn't go with the motor...
    205gti

Hang on,ill just go and rob the nearest place where i can get 3 grand and ill post u a check,jeeesss i wish i had a lazy 3 and 1/2 grand at the moment.
    but seriously,if it is around in about 6 mnths time[which i doubt]im may buy it as i was going to do reconditioning of my motor round then.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Peter T,

I am still interested in this engine if you can outline the characteristics as above.

I also need to know what series engine the car came from so I know if I can "plug and play" or if the wiring harness needs to be modded for the 90kw spec (I have the early low c/r 75kw 8v) or if an aftermarket ECU will be required to get the most from the set-up.

If its a good thing, I am keen to find out more and make an offer if it meets my needs.

Wont need the F3.

Cheers

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!

Chipper, I can understand Peter T not wanting to let out to many secrets about the way he builds his engines, he would have spent many years with trial and error to accumulate the knowledge he has. There are always people who want to pick the knowledge out of peoples brain who have had to learn the hard way. I guess you will have to trust that what Peter does to his engines has been done the right way.

Ill second what maxie has just said.

I think Peter Is on Holidays at the moment so may not be on for a few days or weeks.
    From my experience, and with a similar motor (not quite as hot) this motor will proberbly be pulling hard from about 2800 3300 somewhere right through to 7000, or the 6500 limit. It would be producing great torque aswell. Priberbly from about the 3000mark.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, It sounds as though this motor will be pretty much the same as the one we have in our race car, bought of Peter about 18 months ago. This one has slightly higher compression and better pistons than ours.

We only run a slightly modified Bosch L Jetronic but it produces great power from down low and loads of torque. It is on par with a good mi16 until the rev limiter. We have kept the 6,700 rpm limit. Our main use is hillclimbs and the car won it's class for the year. I'd describe it as strong and reliable.

Still quite driveable on the road, particularly with 100 Optimax (tended to ping a bit on lower octane). We have a tight lsd in the car and it easily lights up even warm R series race tyres off the mark.

We don't intend to do anything to improve the motor itself as the torque is great. We might move to an aftermarket ecu.

The price of the motor Peter has for sale is fine and comparable with what I paid before, given he has put so many new parts in the one.

If you buy the motor get one of his good baffled sumps!!

Cheers

Jim

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your replies guys.

I wasnt asking Peter to do a blow by blow on how he built the motor, I already know he has a good rep for his work, I was more asking if its torquey or peaky

If you guys are using his engines for hillclimbs, then that has to be a good thing as the torque would be more handy than outright power at maximum revs up a hill.

Peter T,

If you prefer to go to PM about this, no worries, but I am very interested.

Regards

Chipper

Thread Information